• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lectrotab Trim Tabs

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the powder coating for the fish? Other than trailering, when are they visible?
Yes just more for aesthetics. I'm sure someone will say it helps with something else lol.

hobineros

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
+5 HP for powder coating - reduces the coefficient of the drag of water across the surface of the tabs.:dead:

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to mention the acoustical dampening... :hilarious:

Bunch of smart asses in here...

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So do the trim tabs aid in wake surfing or what?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So do the trim tabs aid in wake surfing or what?
Not a bit. They help some boats get up on plain faster (Not an issue on our boats), they help smooth out the ride in rough water by putting downward pressure on the nose of the boat, and can be adjusted independently of each other to level out the boat if loaded unevenly.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You always have to keep tabs on your trim...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski should be able to tell you his experience on this. I believe he has tried this for surfing?
Generally speaking - no. Those might help shape the wake but actually the most important issue is to design and install the tabs in such a way that they would not interfere. Which is not trivial - with the crazy YJB transoms.

The directions to my install (from Lectrotabs) are kind of all over the place, but the design that I posted works extremely well - for both cruising and NOT interfering with wake surf.

EDIT: I was able to make small improvements in the wake surface by making very small adjustments with the tabs, but my boat is still not fully dialed in for wake surfing. So, I would not count on the tabs as an aid. Rather, make sure you can get those out of the way when you need to.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The tabs also help plane at lower speeds, which can help greatly on bad chop.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes, what are these mysterious devices labeled “trim tabs” that have been around since the 50’s and what is their purpose....?

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The tabs also help plane at lower speeds, which can help greatly on bad chop.
The main advantages of tabs IMO. I was thanking myself last weekend for having the tabs. 30 mph winds and she was cutting thru the waves nicely on low speeds.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, what are these mysterious devices labeled “trim tabs” that have been around since the 50’s and what is their purpose....?
Well, of course. But the confusing factor with jet boats is - there is no trim like with o/b etc. Since Yamaha has not offered any trim aid from factory, not even sponsons like in jet skis, this can be a confusing topic.
The transom has crazy-a$$ shape and angles which make it very difficult to squeeze something in there that would work. Some people also may be concerned about changing the intake angles when trimming, etc.

--

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well, of course. But the confusing factor with jet boats is - there is no trim like with o/b etc. Since Yamaha has not offered any trim aid from factory, not even sponsons like in jet skis, this can be a confusing topic.
The transom has crazy-a$$ shape and angles which make it very difficult to squeeze something in there that would work. Some people also may be concerned about changing the intake angles when trimming, etc.

--
I was just messing about.

Chris Evans

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone know if the swat ski set up will fit on the 2011 242 Limited S? Any recommendations to this boat for the tabs?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Anyone know if the swat ski set up will fit on the 2011 242 Limited S? Any recommendations to this boat for the tabs?
It will help you visualize, get an idea of size and placement if you make a cardboard cutout of various sizes and hold them up to the transom. It helps to make sure you do not interfere with the tie-down straps.