• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Lewmar Pro-Sport Anchor Windless

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi folks, new here so couldn't find where to ask this.
I bought a 1990 SeaRay 21ft Bowrider in November. It sat for at least 8 years in storage. So I had a mechanic shop go through and clean the fuel system tune up new batterys etc...
When I used my anchor it seemed OK. But when I got to the chain end I would get about half of the chain pulled in and the windless would free spool. I checked the big hand nut on the side and it was real loose. I tighten it and it gets half the chain in and again free spools. At home I tightened it all again and seemed fine. Driving to put boat in storage where I have to keep it (since our HOA is pissy.) the anchor windless went into free spool dropping anchor onto the road. Took a bit to get it unstuck.

OKAY background done. My question is HOW can I keep the nut from backing off and going into free spool? I am toying with using Blue Locktite to make it not back off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the funds to put back into shop to repair or replace the unit. Already spent 9K on repairs.

Not knowing anything about them, I would contact Lexmar and see what they say.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t. Did the bot come with a manual for the windlass?

No, I got manuals for Radio, and GPS/Fish finder but nothing more. The guy who sold it to me was the son. His dad passed away in January and his dads stuff was in his aunts home. He will send me anything he finds about the boat or any parts he has.
Frustrating that this is my last issue (for now). Just need to know if ok to use loctite on the threads holding the I guess Gypsy together. I called it the clutch may be wrong on terminology for the windless parts.

I assume you have a prosport 550. Looked in the manual... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...YQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0hc_gg6uTdLZbJFpxTFCK6

I use a Lewmar V1. Hope your clutch is ok. Tighten the gypsy.. Could it be that it is in Freespool?
View attachment 196546

View attachment 196547

Thanks, the drawing does look like my windless. I will do some searching for a wrench that is for the windless. I don't know how or where to see if it is in free spool mode. Does pick up and go down from button next to my steering wheel. How to know if set for free spool? I know the hand cranked nut thing on the gypsy gets tightened and it works then at a point goes loose and drops the anchor.

More info. Lewmar Concept 1 Gypsy Only Parts Then select "lewmar windlass manuals" then, prosport 550 for a pdf of the winch manual.

The wrench will look like this. You will need one to operate. It will be embossed "Lewmar".

Screenshot_20230328-062316_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230328-062201_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

If you cannot find the wrench, just gugl "lewmar windlass tool". Everybody sells them. I would go to West Marine...just down the road. $22. Might be in the bottom of the anchor locker under the rode.

Last edited:
A little side bar... the V1 setup I installed on our 1991 Beneteau. We use a sailboat winch handle instead of a special wrench tool.

20200807_194524.jpg

Attachments

• 20200807_194632.jpg
    20200807_194632.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks, the drawing does look like my windless. I will do some searching for a wrench that is for the windless. I don't know how or where to see if it is in free spool mode. Does pick up and go down from button next to my steering wheel. How to know if set for free spool? I know the hand cranked nut thing on the gypsy gets tightened and it works then at a point goes loose and drops the anchor.

The "gypsy" is what engages (grabs) the chain and the rode (anchor line), mine is specific for use with 5/16" G4 chain and 9/16" rode. The "hand cranked nut thing" needs to be tightened with the wrench or it will slip.

Last edited:
Back