• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Live well drain / overflow T fitting.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After the offseason work / upgrades I did to my boat I started getting a fair amount of water out of the boat when I took it out of the water. The first leak I found was the live well fill fitting had got knocked loose when I was installing the electric wash down pump. The second leak I found was on the live well drain side of the T that connects the drain & overflow to the outlet scupper.

This is a challenging set of hoses to work in since you have to do it all one handed as you just can’t get both arms down in there. The oem T fitting can be put in one handed although it is tough. Anyway I had tried moving the hose clamp to stop the leak to no avail. So a new T fitting was in order. I borrowed my friends belt sander to sand the 1.5” barbed T I got from the hardware store. After getting as snug of a fit while still being able to get it installed with one hand.

The top fitting is the oem fitting bottom one is my modded

B52D6922-EC48-4A03-AD20-A2B6019BFDD7.jpeg

Using a heat gun on the hoses makes them a lot easier to work with.

F4AF8242-837E-4525-AF0D-01209C2AAA7C.jpeg

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Port Clinton, Ohio - Western Basin Lake Erie
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After the offseason work / upgrades I did to my boat I started getting a fair amount of water out of the boat when I took it out of the water. The first leak I found was the live well fill fitting had got knocked loose when I was installing the electric wash down pump. The second leak I found was on the live well drain side of the T that connects the drain & overflow to the outlet scupper.

This is a challenging set of hoses to work in since you have to do it all one handed as you just can’t get both arms down in there. The oem T fitting can be put in one handed although it is tough. Anyway I had tried moving the hose clamp to stop the leak to no avail. So a new T fitting was in order. I borrowed my friends belt sander to sand the 1.5” barbed T I got from the hardware store. After getting as snug of a fit while still being able to get it installed with one hand.

The top fitting is the oem fitting bottom one is my modded

View attachment 178894

Using a heat gun on the hoses makes them a lot easier to work with.

View attachment 178899
Thanks for sharing, I seem to notice the bilge pump coming on after a long day fishing recently 2020 210FSH. I was suspicious of the overflow.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for sharing, I seem to notice the bilge pump coming on after a long day fishing recently 2020 210FSH. I was suspicious of the overflow.
I found the leak by removing the clean out tray, then stuffing a rag into the scupper and filling the live well to the top with water so that the drain and overflow lines would be totally full with as much head pressure as possible, and started feeling around and looking. Once I found the leak by feel then I could watch the drips. This is how I found the live well fill fitting leak. Those fittings are secured on the back side, and you need your Hobo Kelley arms to get to it-big props if you remember Hobo Kelley from your childhood!

Also it’s much easier to work on the T fitting if you remove the starboard exhaust hose from the resonator to the outlet, that was another job in itself, I used a small flat blade screw driver and very carefully slid it under the hose on the resonator and worked it all the way around to free up the hose from the resonator. If you find the fittings are loose on the back of the live well itself it will be easier to work on if you remove the exhaust hose from the water lock to the resonator. I did not remove that exhaust hose and It was everything I could do with my long arms and a pair of channel locks with tape on the adjustable size slide to keep the jaws from opening up, and just my finger tips on the jaws to get enough on that fill fitting nut to stop it from leaking.

After doing this work I tested again and found just the slightest weep now coming from the overflow side of the T. In the picture that’s the line headed straight away. I used a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 5/16” socket to put just a bit more tension on the hose clamps. So we shall see what happens with a real world test and how much water comes out at the end of the day.

Next winter I may change out all the spiral drain hose from the oem deck drain to the stern scupper as that type of line is easier to get a seal on the fittings with. I have a similar slow drip on the 1.5” to 3/4” T in the engine bay, the 3/4” T comes from five gallon bucket locker hatch drain channel, seems like no matter what I do I can’t get that 1.5” spiral hose to seal on that oem T fitting. All of us 210 FSH owners know that bucket locker hatch drain in the bow is problematic at best, and if you’ve washed the deck down and open the hatch it’s Niagara Falls into that locker. Up coming mid season mod to that will be to put in a shower sump with its own pump so that hatch drain channel will actually work and the pump will force the water out through the oem deck drain scupper. That sump will fit next to the port most trolling motor battery, and directly below the bucket locker hatch drain.

I’d use hose that’s similar to the hose SHIELDS RUBBER Series 148 Multi-Purpose Vinyl Hose, Sold Per Foot | West Marine I used for the bilge pump I added, it’s smooth sided and far far more flexible and easier to work with than the black oem 3/4” line. From the live well drain to the T and from the T to the scupper wouldn‘t be too awful hard, but, from what I can tell getting to the live well overflow hose would be difficult to say the least. It would require removing bulkheads in the engine compartment to get it out, not to mention pulling off all the fittings for the fill and aeration lines. If, and that’s a big if at this point I do that you can bet I’ll be securing the fill and aeration fittings on the live well with 5200. But, if the fix I just did works well enough then I’ll probably just let that sleeping dog lay!

Note: I mentioned this before, use a heat gun on any of the drain hose on your boat it makes it WAYYYY easier to deal with. When you install the hose and have warmed it with a heat gun, have your hose clamp and nut driver ready and secure the hose right after you get the hose on the fitting for the best possible seal.

Last edited:

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I found the leak by removing the clean out tray, then stuffing a rag into the scupper and filling the live well to the top with water so that the drain and overflow lines would be totally full with as much head pressure as possible, and started feeling around and looking. Once I found the leak by feel then I could watch the drips. This is how I found the live well fill fitting leak. Those fittings are secured on the back side, and you need your Hobo Kelley arms to get to it-big props if you remember Hobo Kelley from your childhood!

Also it’s much easier to work on the T fitting if you remove the starboard exhaust hose from the resonator to the outlet, that was another job in itself, I used a small flat blade screw driver and very carefully slid it under the hose on the resonator and worked it all the way around to free up the hose from the resonator. If you find the fittings are loose on the back of the live well itself it will be easier to work on if you remove the exhaust hose from the water lock to the resonator. I did not remove that exhaust hose and It was everything I could do with my long arms and a pair of channel locks with tape on the adjustable size slide to keep the jaws from opening up, and just my finger tips on the jaws to get enough on that fill fitting nut to stop it from leaking.

After doing this work I tested again and found just the slightest weep now coming from the overflow side of the T. In the picture that’s the line headed straight away. I used a 1/4” drive ratchet with a 5/16” socket to put just a bit more tension on the hose clamps. So we shall see what happens with a real world test and how much water comes out at the end of the day.

Next winter I may change out all the spiral drain hose from the oem deck drain to the stern scupper as that type of line is easier to get a seal on the fittings with. I have a similar slow drip on the 1.5” to 3/4” T in the engine bay, the 3/4” T comes from five gallon bucket locker hatch drain channel, seems like no matter what I do I can’t get that 1.5” spiral hose to seal on that oem T fitting. All of us 210 FSH owners know that bucket locker hatch drain in the bow is problematic at best, and if you’ve washed the deck down and open the hatch it’s Niagara Falls into that locker. Up coming mid season mod to that will be to put in a shower sump with its own pump so that hatch drain channel will actually work and the pump will force the water out through the oem deck drain scupper. That sump will fit next to the port most trolling motor battery, and directly below the bucket locker hatch drain.

I’d use hose that’s similar to the hose SHIELDS RUBBER Series 148 Multi-Purpose Vinyl Hose, Sold Per Foot | West Marine I used for the bilge pump I added, it’s smooth sided and far far more flexible and easier to work with than the black oem 3/4” line. From the live well drain to the T and from the T to the scupper wouldn‘t be too awful hard, but, from what I can tell getting to the live well overflow hose would be difficult to say the least. It would require removing bulkheads in the engine compartment to get it out, not to mention pulling off all the fittings for the fill and aeration lines. If, and that’s a big if at this point I do that you can bet I’ll be securing the fill and aeration fittings on the live well with 5200. But, if the fix I just did works well enough then I’ll probably just let that sleeping dog lay!

Note: I mentioned this before, use a heat gun on any of the drain hose on your boat it makes it WAYYYY easier to deal with. When you install the hose and have warmed it with a heat gun, have your hose clamp and nut driver ready and secure the hose right after you get the hose on the fitting for the best possible seal.
Great info! Much appreciated!
I'll be diving into that in a couple weeks when I get back to the boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great info! Much appreciated!
I'll be diving into that in a couple weeks when I get back to the boat.
Expect it to take a full day… before you start, pull one of the clean out tray screws and go to the hardware store and get a set of the next size up screws. Hopefully you wont need them, don’t over tighten, just snug. If you are going to re seal with silicone sealer, be sure and put the sealer on after you have the clean out tray back on. Get some blue masking tape to keep the mess to a minimum.

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Expect it to take a full day… before you start, pull one of the clean out tray screws and go to the hardware store and get a set of the next size up screws. Hopefully you wont need them, don’t over tighten, just snug. If you are going to re seal with silicone sealer, be sure and put the sealer on after you have the clean out tray back on. Get some blue masking tape to keep the mess to a minimum.
I just wish I knew when I installed the trim tabs last year and had the inspection cover off. I think I will upsize those screws this time.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just wish I knew when I installed the trim tabs last year and had the inspection cover off. I think I will upsize those screws this time.
Right on… I went with the I’ll replace them when they strip attitude. JB Weld makes a fast curing marine epoxy, that I have but yet to use, that turns white when it’s cured. When these larger screws eventually strip out I’ll be filling the holes with that epoxy and re drilling and going back to the smaller screws.

Im hoping I will not have to pull that tray again for a long time. I usually open everything for 24 hours up after a day on the water or washing with the full cover on to let everything dry out. And every once in a while I hose the aft bilge and engine compartment with spray silicone to disperse water and prevent corrosion.

That cover has a couple of vents high mounted just behind the rocket launchers. It gets plenty warm in there when sitting in the sun and the daily breezes takes away all the water vapor.

7F5B4E07-F41E-4DBB-944F-349D71D441F7.jpeg

Dumbassbass

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on… I went with the I’ll replace them when they strip attitude. JB Weld makes a fast curing marine epoxy, that I have but yet to use, that turns white when it’s cured. When these larger screws eventually strip out I’ll be filling the holes with that epoxy and re drilling and going back to the smaller screws.
That's good to know, I didn't know that existed. Off to Amazon I am!

50172 MarineWeld (cures white)

Thanks for that!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's good to know, I didn't know that existed. Off to Amazon I am!

50172 MarineWeld (cures white)

Thanks for that!
You betcha! I like it if I can share my experiences and it helps people either doing the right thing or not doing the wrong thing. Now if I could just not bleed every time I work on my boat! LOL!

MattW

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I also found leak on aerator vent tube, it popped off, it's about 1/4 inch hose, way too short, only about 12 inches, purchased one about 18 inches long and some small squeeze clamps. I also use live well for extra ballast when we surf, so when you fill it to the top with that little hose off, a lot of water gets in there, it will fill bilge up pretty quick, so if you've noticed a lot of water in your bilge after using live well, check that out.
A quick way to do that is to pull two screws off your "MAX AIR INTAKE" located above your live well. If hose is off, it will pull right out.
It's hard to reach, but it can be done, got to take back cover off and stick mirror in there to locate. I took exhaust hose off starboard engine, that gave plenty of room to work.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Floridaman79

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I also found leak on aerator vent tube, it popped off, it's about 1/4 inch hose, way too short, only about 12 inches, purchased one about 18 inches long and some small squeeze clamps. I also use live well for extra ballast when we surf, so when you fill it to the top with that little hose off, a lot of water gets in there, it will fill bilge up pretty quick, so if you've noticed a lot of water in your bilge after using live well, check that out.
A quick way to do that is to pull two screws off your "MAX AIR INTAKE" located above your live well. If hose is off, it will pull right out.
It's hard to reach, but it can be done, got to take back cover off and stick mirror in there to locate. I took exhaust hose off starboard engine, that gave plenty of room to work.
The same thing happened to me. When the aerator hose came off it was dripping into the bilge and the pump would cycle on and off during the day.