• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Livewell Issues

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I searched but didn't see anything - do we have a FAQ for Livewell issues? Mine is not filling up, though I hear the pump turning on. I also have had people say the Aerator is not working, though the switch on the dash lights up.

I read in somewhere, most likely in this forum about debris getting sucked up in the pump and using compressed air to push it back? THis may work since you can hear the pump activating. Maybe someone can confirm this.

I read in somewhere, most likely in this forum about debris getting sucked up in the pump and using compressed air to push it back? THis may work since you can hear the pump activating. Maybe someone can confirm this.

Next will be how do I do that lol

if you can remove the wire mesh thing you can easily insert a compressor hose in the hole? I think its worth a try, make sure pump is off first lol

Edit: on second thought, make sure impeller can go reverse direction, probably wait for expert opinion first. BUt if it would work i would put water in then push with compressed air to remove blockage.

So unfortunately the minds at Yamaha placed the thru hull for the live well fill where it sits on a starboard bunk…while I have not had a look at this thru hull, I have felt around while I was in the water and it doesn’t appear there is not a filter screen in this thru hull it just goes straight through into the sea cock valve. That is something you may want to look at by the way, the orientation of the sea cock handle. The water temp in the lake is now nice, and I have a mask on the boat so the next time out I’m going to go below and have a look.

My pump runs but sometimes hesitates to pump water once in a while when I first turn it on.. sometimes it takes 30 seconds for it to start filling with water, sometimes I let it run for a few seconds, turn it off then turn it back on and it starts pumping water… and sometimes I turn on my electric wash down pump which is tapped into the live well feed line and that clears what I can only assume is an air bubble.

So you may not know this but the water inlet into the live well is a male garden hose fitting behind the angled discharge tip, and there is valve there which also interesting, so that may help you but the thru hull is sitting on the bunk so when you back flush the debris will end up sitting on the bunk.. guess you could jack the boat up a bit and have a look.

You will have to pull the clean out tray to get to the live well fill pump, the top of the pump comes off by pushing in a red tab and turn the pump head counter clockwise, then the motor and pump vanes will pull out of the base. It’s easy to get to once the tray is off, I‘m not sure if you can get to it with the tray still on, I’m thinking you cannot.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
if you can remove the wire mesh thing you can easily insert a compressor hose in the hole? I think its worth a try, make sure pump is off first lol

Edit: on second thought, make sure impeller can go reverse direction, probably wait for expert opinion first. BUt if it would work i would put water in then push with compressed air to remove blockage.

The wire mesh / filter is the inlet for the aerator pump… this item needs to be cleaned a lot if you are in turbid water. The aerator pump is on the back side of the live well and would be…. A challenge to get to. When I was chasing self imposed leaks, I was having to do all of the work on the back side of the live well by feel. There is a small hose that attaches to the back side of the aerator inlet and goes up to the little black disc marked Max Air or something like that. That little line allows a metered amount of air to be sucked in along with the water in the live well to the live well aerator pump and the discharge is below the inlet line.

Back