• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for mechanic for Engine rebuild

Ottawa

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I’m looking for a performance shop that can rebuild my 1.8 HO form Yamaha FSH190 , Currently engine is out of boat. I live in Ontario and I’m willing to ship pretty much anywhere that is competent enough to do this work . Any suggestion would be great

I’m looking for a performance shop that can rebuild my 1.8 HO form Yamaha FSH190 , Currently engine is out of boat. I live in Ontario and I’m willing to ship pretty much anywhere that is competent enough to do this work . Any suggestion would be great
What is wrong with it?

I believe the proper protocol is to buy a ski with the same engine and do a swap. Then get an sbt rebuild for the ski and sell it.

I recommend that you take the engine to a local pwc shop. Have them give you a quote, determine parts and labor availability and develop an action plan based on the informantoin gleaned.

one Of my engines just sufffered a broken timing Chain. Used Waverunners with the same engine generally sell for / have asking prices of $9k or more. SBT sells refurbished engines for $4,300 to $5,300, buyers must turn in their core and cover all shipping costs. However as of last week, SBT does not have any refurbished engines in stock. There is or was a refurbed engine on eBay with an asking price of $10k. For comparison a new engine from and installed by yamaha is about $18k, or so I’ve read.

in this case and most it’s not the cost of parts that are high (e.g. A timing chain is $50 and valves are $25 to $50), it’s the labor ($150 per hour at one of the shops local to me). Having the engine out and partially disassembled should reduce the overall labor costs.

Last edited:
as an option two very competent motorsports engine shops I have worked with in the past are Leitner and Bush (ask for Gordie) in Toronto and Alien Tech Racing (ask for andy) in Peterboro while they are not exactly marine engine builders I would say they are completely capable FWIW they are likely too busy however they are in the business and may gave recommendations

Lost compression number 1 cylinder. Found a piece of piston ring in spark plug .

How many hours were on the engine?

Back