• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

loose throttle is different than throttle drop

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I may be the only idiot here but my new 195 fsh would always come off plane and basically back to idle every time I let go of the throttle. Everyone waving to me and I just nod my head because I couldn't let go of the throtlle..... lol.

Whenever I would do I search I would only see post about throttle drop and how to fix that. I was like there has to be a better way. I finally saw a post way down in a thread mention the difference and I was able to tighten my lose throttle super easy by adjusting the screw.

I thought it would be better to have a thread specific to this so it would be easier to find. If there is already one I will be glad to delete this but I used several searches before and didn't see anything regarding loose throttle adjustment.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
OK now that I found the thread how do I tighten the throttle?
flat blade screw driver to pop the cap from the front near the bottom of the throttle assy. once the cap is removed then adjust the flat blade screw. mine was completely loose and had to tighten several turns to get it to hold speed. I will upload a picture shortly. for the 210 there will be a flat blade screw for each throttle.

Attachments

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did u already test it and it holds RPM?

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did u already test it and it holds RPM?
Yes was on the lake today while adjusting it. You need to be on the water running to adjust correctly. I did tighten a little too much at first and kept loosening the screw just until it started slowing down and then tighten back just a bit more until it held. When too tight I found it hard to adjust throttle quickly if big wakes/waves coming so it is possible to have to tight. But it is night and day difference for me. The cruise assist works now and it was a hell of a lot more enjoyable. I kept reading all these threads about throttle drop and just thought I had to live with the problem or get the gps cruise control.

Now I actually see what throttle drop is. if you want to go at 6200 rpm you have to raise throttle to about 6500 because it will drop a little. but my throttle being loose when letting go would go back to idle not just drop a few hundred rpm.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
It’s definitely a matter of trial and error to get the tension set correctly. When my boat was new, and on the maiden voyage as it were, the port throttle would fall back to just above idle. I have the throttles set too stiff which made it difficult to operate smoothly, now they are set to where they are just stiff enough to stay in the roughest conditions I see.

The issue I have, and this is a small issue, is that the port throttle has more play in it than the starboard side does. I watched a YouTube vid on adjusting these throttles and how to remove some of the play. I took my throttles apart to check the internals just to make sure there was nothing amiss. I was not able to remove that extra play, but did learn how the insides work.

Heres a decent vid that shows how the internals look, and how to remove play in the throttles which causes a small amount of engine speed drop. I looked but couldn’t quickly find the other vid I saw. Taking these throttles out and pulling them apart is super easy.

There are vids out there showing people changing the throw from forward to accelerate to rear which is one of the more stupid things that one can do.

GatorNeedsHisGat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Much appreciated. I just took my SX195 out for the first time today and was having this very same issue.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’d like to add that in rougher water I’ve found that having the tension set a bit tighter is better. Once I get the rpm’s set at 6000 I use the cruise assist to set the speed.

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up. My new AR250 does this same thing except it’s not instantaneous. My port side drops 4-500 rpm every 10 or so seconds so it won’t maintain speed and after 30-40 secs I’ll barely be moving. The port side is the only one doing it that I’ve noticed. I’ll adjust it tomorrow while on the water.

rfrichardson

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the write up. My new AR250 does this same thing except it’s not instantaneous. My port side drops 4-500 rpm every 10 or so seconds so it won’t maintain speed and after 30-40 secs I’ll barely be moving. The port side is the only one doing it that I’ve noticed. I’ll adjust it tomorrow while on the water.
I have the exact same issue with my AR250. Where you able to correct the problem.

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I have the exact same issue with my AR250. Where you able to correct the problem.
It’s a lot better but still needs adjusting. I’ve been adjusting for the last 4 trips out. Lol. I don’t want to over tighten it so I was doing a quarter turn at a time. I’m at about 5 full turns I think. Lol.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don’t need to slowly adjust. I worked the levers as I tightened until I got to the sweet spot of being firm but not tight. Literally had about 4-5 turns before I even got tension then adjusted while driving to watch that I had no slip. I had the exact same thing with throttle dropping all the way from redline to idle on the port side. Who the hell sends a boat out that way?

Last edited:

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
You don’t need to slowly adjust. I worked the levers as I tightened until I got to the sweet spot of being firm but not tight. Literally had about 4-5 turns before I even got tension then adjusted while driving to watch that I had no slip. I had the exact same thing with throttle dropping all the way from redline to idle on the port side. Who the hell sends a boat out that way?
I read that too much tension causes the throttles to be hard to throttle up and with these already sensitive to touch motors I didn’t want it to “stick” during acceleration. I’ve got it adjusted pretty good now but I’ve noticed in rougher water (2’ swells bc I’m on inland water) it starts dropping on me (starboard side). I’m sometimes a conspiracy theorist but I think they leave the factory like this to piss people off and purchase the throttle by wire next time. It’s 2022 why tf aren’t all of them throttle by wire. Lmao. I feel the same way about the stereo also, why can’t I adjust the bass so it doesn’t distort at high levels? They want you to upgrade to the wet sounds system next time. I will build my own sound system in it this winter but would be nice to have clean sound until then.