• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low Fuel Warning Alert - Yamaha 275SE

Ryaander

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our 2021 Yamaha 275SE has a low fuel warning pop up every time we turn on the power for the day. The boat could be 100% full of fuel and it will still indicate 10% or less. Does anyone know if there is a sensor or something that could be causing this? Dealers are way backed up so not worth taking it in the middle of summer!

It might just be a calibration reset once you turn the power on.

I agree with @Babin Farms … sometimes I get a low start battery voltage alarm when I turn one of my ignition switches on…

As long as it goes away quickly I wouldn’t worry about it..I suppose you could just chalk it up to your boats personality.

I agree with @Babin Farms … sometimes I get a low start battery voltage alarm when I turn one of my ignition switches on…

As long as it goes away quickly I wouldn’t worry about it..I suppose you could just chalk it up to your boats personality.

Appreciate the reply just would really like to get this resolved. I was hoping I wasn’t the only one to deal with a false alarm on the low fuel warning :).

Appreciate the reply just would really like to get this resolved. I was hoping I wasn’t the only one to deal with a false alarm on the low fuel warning :).

Have you tried disconnecting your batteries for a while then re attaching them? That works sometimes to clear other alarms that people have.

Last edited:
The fuel indicator on my 252S is woefully inaccurate, especially when not on plane. I had about 30 gallons left but the indicator on the display was showing 0%. The Fuel Used numbers are more accurate so that is what I rely on.

I don't trust the fuel level as well. I track gallons used to determine my fuel level. I have a 50 gallon tank and last year my connect said 23%. It only took 12 gallons.

I’ll consider myself lucky then… my main fuel gauge reads pretty close to the metered used gauge. My main fuel gauge reads accurately when I’m on plane and cruising.

Have you tried disconnecting your batteries for a while then re attaching them? That works sometimes to clear other alarms that people have.
I haven’t tried that but was thinking the battery switches would reset power to it? Maybe there is more to it? I can give it a shot.

The fuel indicator on my 252S is woefully inaccurate, especially when not on plane. I had about 30 gallons left but the indicator on the display was showing 0%. The Fuel Used numbers are more accurate so that is what I rely on.
The fuel level on ours is fairly accurate…just this false alarm at the start of the day and then it’s no problem. Guessing software at this point.

I haven’t tried that but was thinking the battery switches would reset power to it? Maybe there is more to it? I can give it a shot.

How long does the low fuel warning stay on once you turn on power ?

Maybe 5 seconds or so.

Im assuming that after 5 seconds it clears itself then with no action taken by you.

That just sounds like a boot process and during the initialization the connext doesn’t like the voltage / resistance values it sees from the level gauge, but then on subsequent scans it sees a value that it likes.

Let me ask you;
- do have an on board charger that you plug in after each outing?
-have you checked battery voltage with a multi meter with the battery switch off after the batteries been sitting for 24 hours?
-What is the battery voltage on the connext screen?

The other thing you could check are all of the battery connections, there have been quite a few weird problems solved by eliminating loose connections, usually grounds, or battery voltage problems caused by old or not properly charged batteries.

Im assuming that after 5 seconds it clears itself then with no action taken by you.

That just sounds like a boot process and during the initialization the connext doesn’t like the voltage / resistance values it sees from the level gauge, but then on subsequent scans it sees a value that it likes.

Let me ask you;
- do have an on board charger that you plug in after each outing?
-have you checked battery voltage with a multi meter with the battery switch off after the batteries been sitting for 24 hours?
-What is the battery voltage on the connext screen?

The other thing you could check are all of the battery connections, there have been quite a few weird problems solved by eliminating loose connections, usually grounds, or battery voltage problems caused by old or not properly charged batteries.
Really appreciate the detail here. To clarify what happens after the 5 seconds, the alarm silences itself but doesn’t fully clear on the screen. It shows the “mute” icon on the bottom left of the screen. We do have the NOCO dual bank charger to top the batteries off…voltage is usually 11.8 lowest when we start the boat for the day even when we don’t user the charger. The charger is a new edition to the boat, but the fuel alarm situation has happened since we bought it.

Really appreciate the detail here. To clarify what happens after the 5 seconds, the alarm silences itself but doesn’t fully clear on the screen. It shows the “mute” icon on the bottom left of the screen. We do have the NOCO dual bank charger to top the batteries off…voltage is usually 11.8 lowest when we start the boat for the day even when we don’t user the charger. The charger is a new edition to the boat, but the fuel alarm situation has happened since we bought it.

Okay, that sheds some more light on this situation, reiterating, the alarm is always there, it only audibly alarms once and stays quiet after that?

That to me says there is another problem which is beyond my experience. When I’ve had low fuel alarms, once the fuel level is out of the alarm range it clears completely. But, as long as it is in the alarm range which is 16% (I think) on my boat the audible alarm come back every 5 mins and needs to be muted again. This may be a dealer fix issue, but in my opinion it can wait till after the season is over.

Again, try disconnecting the batteries for a while and see if that helps.

Have you had a situation where the fuel level has dropped low enough to cause the audible alarm to come back?

I’m assuming the 11.8 volt reading is off the connext screen? If it is like my boat, the connext reads .4 volts lower than my Fluke multimeter, the actual voltage is 12.4 V which is pretty good For flooded lead acid batteries.

Good on ya for having the NOCO charger… I’m curious what amperage is it, and do you leave it plugged in?

Okay, that sheds some more light on this situation, reiterating, the alarm is always there, it only audibly alarms once and stays quiet after that?

That to me says there is another problem which is beyond my experience. When I’ve had low fuel alarms, once the fuel level is out of the alarm range it clears completely. But, as long as it is in the alarm range which is 16% (I think) on my boat the audible alarm come back every 5 mins and needs to be muted again. This may be a dealer fix issue, but in my opinion it can wait till after the season is over.

Again, try disconnecting the batteries for a while and see if that helps.

Have you had a situation where the fuel level has dropped low enough to cause the audible alarm to come back?

I’m assuming the 11.8 volt reading is off the connext screen? If it is like my boat, the connext reads .4 volts lower than my Fluke multimeter, the actual voltage is 12.4 V which is pretty good For flooded lead acid batteries.

Good on ya for having the NOCO charger… I’m curious what amperage is it, and do you leave it plugged in?
Agree that it will wait until winter to see a dealer. Not a huge deal thankfully, just thought there might be an easy fix / sensor replacement to get it to 100% issue free.

I’ve never actually had the fuel below 30% at plane…newly ours as of two months ago.

I believe the NOCO is a 5 amp 3-bank setup in case we decide to add a 3rd battery. You can leave it plugged to tend the batteries without worry but it’s usually completely charged after 1-2 hrs anyway. I don’t usually go through the trouble to charge unless we do a lot of floating with the radio on. We also swapped the factory stereo system to improve the sound (connext system is super limited in terms of audio performance) and efficiency of the amps.

Agree that it will wait until winter to see a dealer. Not a huge deal thankfully, just thought there might be an easy fix / sensor replacement to get it to 100% issue free.

I’ve never actually had the fuel below 30% at plane…newly ours as of two months ago.

I believe the NOCO is a 5 amp 3-bank setup in case we decide to add a 3rd battery. You can leave it plugged to tend the batteries without worry but it’s usually completely charged after 1-2 hrs anyway. I don’t usually go through the trouble to charge unless we do a lot of floating with the radio on. We also swapped the factory stereo system to improve the sound (connext system is super limited in terms of audio performance) and efficiency of the amps.
Sounds good…

I would add that the charger needs about 12 hours after the lights go green to finish its charge profile.

Back