• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lucky 13 Cone 2021 FSH Sport

Willpower8u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I have a new FSH Sport with the SVHO 1.8l and I want to use it for wake surfing, I bought the Yamaha wake package and additional ballast but the boat is cavitating a lot. Installed a lucky 13 cone to help but am having issues dialing it in, still cavitates heavily when ballasted or with a few people. When its just me on the boat with limited gear it cavitates on the holeshot and when I turn. Seems to be an ongoing issue, any ideas? Is it normal to have heavy cavitation under acceleration from dead stop?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I have a new FSH Sport with the SVHO 1.8l and I want to use it for wake surfing, I bought the Yamaha wake package and additional ballast but the boat is cavitating a lot. Installed a lucky 13 cone to help but am having issues dialing it in, still cavitates heavily when ballasted or with a few people. When its just me on the boat with limited gear it cavitates on the holeshot and when I turn. Seems to be an ongoing issue, any ideas? Is it normal to have heavy cavitation under acceleration from dead stop?
Sounds like your intake grates are not sealed up properly…. I get zero cavitation with mine.

Willpower8u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has to be something like that man, I've pulled the grate and resealed but I haven't gone so far as to pull the impeller and really get access to seal everything. I lose a ton of performance pulling the tube (with the big kids). Ill try to get it all pulled apart this week and double check the seal.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Has to be something like that man, I've pulled the grate and resealed but I haven't gone so far as to pull the impeller and really get access to seal everything. I lose a ton of performance pulling the tube (with the big kids). Ill try to get it all pulled apart this week and double check the seal.
The grate is where others have found the issues. Pulling a tube is a big load with our boats, especially at altitude. I just got a huge increase in performance by making sure big Mable was pumped up firmly. Wayyyy better now, I can get it outside the wake with ease now.

hope that helps…

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeap. Seal the intakes. Seal the grate when you put it back on. Then make sure you have 1-2psi in the Mable before anyone gets on it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeap. Seal the intakes. Seal the grate when you put it back on. Then make sure you have 1-2psi in the Mable before anyone gets on it.

Thanks! There was no inflation guidance in the instructions.. Las time out when i was blowing it I saw some print on the bladder that said: Inflate firmly. It was a lot rougher ride according to the kids, but it sure flew across the water a lot easier! I have an air head inflator that has a dial where you can set inflation pressure and there is an automatic cut Off… I’ll try 1 psi this time. Had it set there last time but it never cut off…

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! There was no inflation guidance in the instructions.. Las time out when i was blowing it I saw some print on the bladder that said: Inflate firmly. It was a lot rougher ride according to the kids, but it sure flew across the water a lot easier! I have an air head inflator that has a dial where you can set inflation pressure and there is an automatic cut Off… I’ll try 1 psi this time. Had it set there last time but it never cut off…
I have a dual stage pump for our iDroDisc (like a SUP), and I set it to 10psi. It usually "clicks over" from the blower pump to the piston pump around 0.8 psi or so. I have put as much as 3psi into our OBX tube, but it started to feel stretched and sketchy. I'm 100% totally guessing on that 1psi number. I know my pump will easily blow it to 0.8psi and switch over, and it doesn't QUITE feel tight enough there.

Secondarily, fill it pretty tight in the morning and let it sit out in the sun. Once it warms up a bit it'll add some pressure on it's own :D

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a dual stage pump for our iDroDisc (like a SUP), and I set it to 10psi. It usually "clicks over" from the blower pump to the piston pump around 0.8 psi or so. I have put as much as 3psi into our OBX tube, but it started to feel stretched and sketchy. I'm 100% totally guessing on that 1psi number. I know my pump will easily blow it to 0.8psi and switch over, and it doesn't QUITE feel tight enough there.

Secondarily, fill it pretty tight in the morning and let it sit out in the sun. Once it warms up a bit it'll add some pressure on it's own :D
Thanks @2kwik4u ! I appreciate the feed back.. I’m really new to the towable thing.. tomorrow will be the 4th time I’ve taken my friends out.

Willpower8u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So an update…..after some intense testing sessions I couldn’t find a cone setting that killed the cavitation, even with just me (230lbs) and a half a tank it still took almost 9seconds to get to 30mph. One of the selling points of the 1.8 is 0-30 in six seconds. I took her to the shop and this is what I found:
DFBDE54E-2E6E-4EE6-A6DA-B5B8C698BFB4.jpegB253EE3A-BA5B-4F36-A5D6-691BE82A4709.jpegA8D2BD66-5EEB-425B-A918-CC32661D6054.jpeg
nothing crazy but the tech at the dealer says my gaps are too much, so I measured them and got 0.71mm on top and 0.41mm on bottom, even when I rotate the impeller the clearances stay the same. Seemed weird, then I noticed the wear on the shaft, and the wear on the poly insert where the shaft goes into the hull.51F96E4C-F1C0-4C4B-BEB8-9883C7336C75.jpegA8D2BD66-5EEB-425B-A918-CC32661D6054.jpeg

Attachments

Willpower8u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I contacted dealer and they are taking it in to find out why the shaft is misaligned. When you look at it installed it’s VERY clear that it has been riding on the poly insert. Now I don’t think this is causing my cavitation but I believe it is possible that it may have contributed to the impeller wear.

Willpower8u

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The grate is where others have found the issues. Pulling a tube is a big load with our boats, especially at altitude. I just got a huge increase in performance by making sure big Mable was pumped up firmly. Wayyyy better now, I can get it outside the wake with ease now.

hope that helps…
I know it can be a big load (even for us at sea level) especially when I have the big kids on it 500+ lbs total.