• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mantus anchor. Awesome

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After assembly of my 8 LB, I think it will fit just fine in the anchor locker, I pulled my ladder out the second year i had my boat, to me it was just in the way and we never used it.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would not be surprised at all if it fits in your anchor locker, Jeb. The newer boats have a bigger anchor locker.

Now, with that said.....since you know about machining, etc..... My 13lb Mantus would fit in my anchor locker, if it did not have the round bar. I did some field testing on the Mantus without the round bar. The results were not good. The round bar has to be on there. Now.....where you come in Jeb!! lol Can you think of a way to have the round bar fold while in the locker, but still be able to extend when thrown? Also, another option would be some time of quick-release bolts for the round bar. That way, when you would go to stow the anchor, you would take two quick-release bolts off. Just think about it. We can talk next time we see each other. Toby had suggested putting hinges on it, but I think some sort of quick-release bolts would be better.

Jebinok

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, I will do some R&D on this for you. I should have something for you at the Aug 12th meet. Are you round bar bolts 1/4 in or 3/8 in ?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmmmm......idk.....lol I will see if I can figure that out.

You don't need to "do" anything. I just know your mind is way more mechanical than mine. Just think about it. I can show you at the 8/12 and maybe we could come up with something.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jebinok - I called Mantus. The 13lb anchor I have uses 3/8" bolts.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That would be a good mod for the anchor. But i really don't mind putting in in my front floor storage.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, will it fit in your anchor locker with the hoop removed?

Would it fit with he hoop folded against the shank?

Are you using the 13 pounder? Do you think an 8 pounder would fit better in the 230 anchor locker?

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, will it fit in your anchor locker with the hoop removed? Yes. The little white blocks would need to be raised a bit, but yes, it would fit without the hoop.

Would it fit with he hoop folded against the shank? It would. It would be very tight if it folded, but it would fit. Alternatively to folding, my opinion is that if the hoop came detached, storage would be easier. Which is why I was discussing with Jeb some sort of quick-release bolt that would make detaching it quick, easy, and no tools required.

Are you using the 13 pounder? Do you think an 8 pounder would fit better in the 230 anchor locker? Yes, I am using the 13lb. My guess is that an 8lb would still not fit in the 230 series locker. But, I don't know that for sure. With the new series of anchor lockers that house the front bow ladder, I would THINK that either a 8lb or a 13lb Mantus would fit.

With all that being said, my guess is that an 8lb Mantus would hold a 230 just fine. However, I wanted to be certain mine held and I also wanted to not worry about an anchor slipping or dragging if I had another boat tie up to me without the other boat having to drop an anchor also. I was able to test that out when I had the 26' Cobalt tie up to me. I'm here to tell you, the Mantus held us both with no problem.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@farrelltravis, I suggest stopping by a Tractor Supply or hardware store and picking up four galvanized 3/8" wing nuts. They will be less than a dollar at any store that sells galvanized fittings by the pound. Try using those instead of the factory nuts and I believe you will find it pretty quick and easy to remove and reinstall the bar. You only need two but you want extras incase you drop one. If you find that they work well have a welder tack the bolts into place, or you might be able to JB Weld them into place, so you do not need to hold the head of the bolt.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have thought of that. I don't disagree that would work. I was hoping to find something even more simple. I was also hoping to find a quick-release bolt that had a small piece of thin wire that was attached to the bolt. That way, if you do drop it, it is attached. Very similar to how the bimini pins work and how they are attached if you drop them.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was also hoping to find a quick-release bolt that had a small piece of thin wire that was attached to the bolt. That way, if you do drop it, it is attached. Very similar to how the bimini pins work and how they are attached if you drop them.
You could use something like these 3/8" clevis pins https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-adjustable-clevis-pin-3-8-in-s175005tsc-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

Along with appropriately sized cotter pins, perhaps https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-hairpin-cotter-pins-3-8-in-7-16-in-pack-of-2?cm_vc=-10005

It the clevis pins work I would cut them to the needed length. The clevis pins could be tack welded into place.

Personally I would carry spares rather than trying to tether the hardware.

The wing nut solution allows for a tight fit. The Clevis pin option is less likely to come loose.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is an option too.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Both will do the same job. One is prettier than the other. The prettier one will cost more. So, it is up to you.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For the anchor locker comments... I HATE putting an anchor in the locker. It's a bitch to clean before pulling it into the boat. Just get a D-Shackle and terminate your chain with that. Stow your rode and chain in the locker and put your anchor behind the helm. I keep a FX-11 in my locker under my anchor line and chain.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is the FX-11 a backup anchor? If so, what do you use as your primary anchor?

I like your idea of the shackle and storing it in the helm storage area.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The Manson is very similar to the Mantus. How are you liking it?

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The Manson is very similar to the Mantus. How are you liking it?
I like it a lot. Heavy as hell and expensive as shit... but it does good work. The nicest part of it is it cleans up really easily.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I did get my 8 lb in the front storage. Very small on my boat. Just have to wiggle it a little. Also got my 3 lb in the back storage with the clean out plugs. Very small.