• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mattress and Bad Back

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I need a new mattress. I'm 31, so not old, but my lower back isn't good. Too much extreme sports and I herniated a lower disk in late 2019 that has resulted in chronic pain. I do a lot of exercises and i'm very fit, but my back gets upset when working on my boat in weird positions, exercising too much, or sleeping. So, my research says medium-firm to firm is the mattress that I need. I'm just asking for people's opinions or how much they think to budget. I'm thinking that the cheaper stuff (sub $1000) doesn't last a long time. Macy's will give me 12 month interest free financing with my card so i'm leaning towards shopping there.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We got a mail order Brentwood Mattress in 2016. Still sleeping on it, and it feels about the same as it did when we bought it. It's a multi-layer, multi-density foam design. I think it was around $1,200 or so (for a King Size) when we bought, I can't remember exactly. We've liked it so far with the right amount of comfy/cozy feeling as well as the right amount of support for us. They have a 120 night sleep guarantee I think.

Before this we had a Tempurpedic with the cooling gel top. Wife loved it. I shivvered and shook myself to sleep for about 90 days before sending it back. It was something like $5k or so. Was going to be $120/mo for like 5 years on 0%. It was stupid expensive and just didn't feel "worth it" to either of us. So we went with the Brentwood, and have been pretty happy.

Before the Tempurpedic we slept on my wifes bed she got when she was like 15 and living at home. Nice Oak frame, but a queen sized mattress and box springs that were CLEARLY past their prime. When we got the new house in 2015, we decided a king sized bed and a good mattress were some "grown up things" that we wanted to have. Totally worth it.

I would highly suggest trying the online places. If you don't like it after a month of sleeping on it, send it back, no harm no foul, and no cost out of pocket. Brentwood, Casper, and a few others do it.

WV Hillbilly

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have C4 C5 and S1 S2 problems and finally bought a Sleep Number bed a few years ago. Best thing I ever did. Both sides are articulating, heated cooled, and firmness adjustable. Pricey and well over the 1k but IMHO well worth it to get a good nights sleep and not have my back legs and neck hurt all day.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They are packed full of profit so keep negotiating. Some stores will slash the price if you sign a waiver bypassing your ability to return the mattress during the trial period.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sleep Number here as well. We got the split King. It costs a little more but worth it. When my wife moves I don't feel anything so I stay asleep well. The zero gravity is good for snoring or whn your sick or injured and can't lay on side. It takes a little bit to find your sleep number, but when you do it's great. The automatic night light under the bed means I will never stub a toe again. Also, they will not bargain. The price is the price. All you can do is watch and wait for a sale. Supposedly they are a mattress for life.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Similar profile here, late 30s couple with not great backs. We had an internet bed split king before (loom and leaf), and that bed was a POS we dumped after 4 years. Spent handsomely this time on a temperpedic, and we could not be more happy. Dumped the split king too, that was just not working for us, the gap in the middle felt like a wall.

Jimmers

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have woken up with either a sore back or hip for years. Just bought a Tempur pedic mattress topper. It has helped immensely. It was a relatively inexpensive fix.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The bot brought my thread from the dead so I may as well update this. I bought a nicer firm mattress for $1200. Love it, but it didn't help me. Then I went to Brazil for a while and did a lot of physical therapy. The pain stayed and sometimes it felt like it was getting worse. Then I ended up leaving a bad relationship and the pain improved A LOT. I suspect that stress was causing most of my pain. Now I am single, stress-free, and continuing my exercises and stretches. I do A LOT of walking, back and hip stretches, and I'm pain-free like 98% of the time. The only time I feel pain is if I go a little too extra on squats at the gym. So anyone who is suffering from back pain, try getting rid of your gf/wife ;)

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Fwiw,

While a bed can certainly be bad or good, I have found that anytime I have back pain it means I need to start doing crunches again. I had some pretty bad back pain in the 90’s, went to a chiropractor, that did nothing except drain my check book. Went to see a trainer and on the first day my back had gone out but I hobbled into the gym anyway. My trainer worked with me for a couple of hours and I WALKED out of the gym, it still hurt but I was able to walk out. After that day I worked out 6 days a week for a long time and didn’t have back pain again. This may not work for everyone but any time I start having body pains I realize I haven’t been doing enough at the gym or at home.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have two collapsed discs, pinched nerves, etc. Give me a couch over a bed any day.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have two collapsed discs, pinched nerves, etc. Give me a couch over a bed any day.
I've been saying this for years. I want a bed with a cushioned side and a door to get in. I want to lay sort of on my side and sort of on my back, with the back of the couch keeping me from rolling all the way on my back.

hands down my best sleep is on the couch.