• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring Cover Shortcuts?

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a 2021 Yamaha 195s and am trying to make small changes to make my boating life simpler. I'm curious if anyone uses their mooring cover without the straps and poles to prevent pooling? While trailering on the highway it looks like the front pole puts considerable stress on the cover. As a result, I briefly removed the front pole last summer (straps and rear pole still used) . I never saw any pooling after rain except after a hurricane passed through.
Since my boat has a tower and the cover sits a bit higher as a result, I'm curious if most rain would still run off the back? Plus, it's not like the boat stays completely dry with both poles in. Rain gets in through the vents on top and I always see water spots on my SeaDek despite it being cleaned before I put the cover back on. I realize it only saves 5 minutes but after a long day on the water I feel simplicity wins. I'm not talking about long term storage, just in the summer with no more than 2 weeks between uses. Any tips appreciated, or personal accounts of success/failure.

kbell413

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The covers are designed to be towed without the poles up. The cover vacuums itself down onto the boat. You'll actually tear the cover if you tow with the poles up too often.

When my boat was on the trailer and under a carport I never put the poles up. Now that it's in the water all summer I do take the time to put the poles up and prevent pooling. I agree with you, they're a pain even if it's only a few minutes. I'd still rather not have water pooling in my cover and seeping through. We get some pretty severe down pours and rain here in the Northeast but if you live in a drier climate, maybe you can get away with it.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I’ve read on here people use inflatable beach balls instead of the poles.

The easy way out is just send that 195s cover to me and forego the whole thing all together 👍😂

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, I never used the poles after the first trip. But I have mine parked underneath a shed.. and when traveling .. I don’t use anything.. I did the beach ball thing at one point, but found it to be unnecessary and in the way afterwards..

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The covers are designed to be towed without the poles up. The cover vacuums itself down onto the boat. You'll actually tear the cover if you tow with the poles up too often.

When my boat was on the trailer and under a carport I never put the poles up. Now that it's in the water all summer I do take the time to put the poles up and prevent pooling. I agree with you, they're a pain even if it's only a few minutes. I'd still rather not have water pooling in my cover and seeping through. We get some pretty severe down pours and rain here in the Northeast but if you live in a drier climate, maybe you can get away with it.
I was not aware you aren't supposed to tow with the poles in. Having to undo the cover to crawl in and out to set or remove the poles before and after each tow would actually make my routine even worse. I'm 48 and not as spry as I used to be. I'm in SE PA so probably the same weather as you. And my trips are longer, 50 minutes to Beltzville or 90 minutes to the Chesapeake, so those poles are really straining my cover when driving.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I tow I use beach balls in the front and the back straps without the pole in the back, putting a couple towels under where the straps cross my seat tops.. Also this prevents pooling when sitting in the drive and I don't have to screw with the poles as well. Works fantastic at highway speeds. If I am going local, low speed I don't bother with the back straps. 40 mph and under. I have seen ripped covers from towing at highway speeds with just the mooring cover. Some do and have no issues. I prefer not to take the chance since I won't be able to replace the mooring cover easily with low supply on them.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Yeah, I never used the poles after the first trip. But I have mine parked underneath a shed.. and when traveling .. I don’t use anything.. I did the beach ball thing at one point, but found it to be unnecessary and in the way afterwards..
You mean you travel with the cover off? I'd like that but am worried that things could blow off. I have 2 cushions that aren't on hinges and my SeaDek snaps come loose sometimes.

Shir9406

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
You mean you travel with the cover off? I'd like that but am worried that things could blow off. I have 2 cushions that aren't on hinges and my SeaDek snaps come loose sometimes.
No, sorry! I travel with poles off.. I leave cover on traveling!

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don’t have a cover - my trailering varies from 30 min - 3hrs depending on where we go. I just put the starboard aft cushion in the passenger helm storage. I made the mistake once not doing that — $550 later I learned.

never had problem with anchor cushion- andI also always close my windshield. Keeps the battery compartment cushion from opening.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

While what KBell said about tearing the cover towing with the poles is true, I feel it is very unlikely. On my 2007 speedster that has the outer armor cover by commercial sewing (same company that makes Yamahas) I always pulled the boat with the cover on and poles in. I made 3 round trips from Florida to Michigan and countless highway hours. I am about an hour from where I like to put in when I go to St Pete. My cover did eventually rip about 13 years later. I happily bought a new one and still tow with the poles in. I don't feel like the poles actually made it rip but age, at the point when it finally failed it was always very dust like and dried out.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’ve never used poles and never had any rain pool on my cover even in severe monsoon rains. The ratchet straps have to be fully tight and pulled over the rub rail all around.

I’m sure snow would be a different story.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jeff L24 I would probably setup the poles as usual and then pull the bottom of the feet out, so they are dangling, I.e. not engaged, Then when I got to my destination, I’d crawl in and stand them up again. Doesn’t eliminate the gymnastics, but you only put the cover on once (ok, once on the front and twice in the back).

I do like the beach ball idea @HangOutdoors mentioned, that is a popular option. I don’t trailer enough to try it, but if my poles ever bust I’ll try it before buying new poles.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Throw the poles in the garbage and order a pair of Hangtytes. Easy to drop the lines if you want to tow with the cover unsupported - personally I tow naked unless >2 hours, at which I'll use the shipping cover.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Never use the anti-pooling poles when towing as they do create a lot of extra stress on the cover. I also use a sliced pool noodle (that is taped with blue painters tape) where the little bumper if on the center window. This also helps spread out that rub-area.

I've been in stop-and-go freeway traffic during a thunderstorm and didn't have a need to have a beach ball or anything under the cover to keep water from sliding off the cover. It seemed that just the stop and go movement was enough to keep water from collecting on the cover.

My boat sits in the lake all summer and I do put the poles in when I'm not at the lake. One thing I also do is put a microfiber (or any cloth will work) cloth under the poles where they sit on the Seadek - I find this keeps the poles from making dimple marks in the SeaDek.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’ve never used poles and never had any rain pool on my cover even in severe monsoon rains. The ratchet straps have to be fully tight and pulled over the rub rail all around.

I’m sure snow would be a different story.
But do you still use the straps (without the poles)? Ever try it without the straps and just ratchet it tight to keep tension?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
But do you still use the straps (without the poles)? Ever try it without the straps and just ratchet it tight to keep tension?
I don’t have any kind of poles or straps. So yes, I just ratchet the straps very tight and make sure they are below the rub rail so it has something to hold.

It did just occur to me that mine has two captains chairs and not the bench so that provides some extra support for the cover in the middle of the boat.

Jeff L24

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I don’t have any kind of poles or straps. So yes, I just ratchet the straps very tight and make sure they are below the rub rail so it has something to hold.

It did just occur to me that mine has two captains chairs and not the bench so that provides some extra support for the cover in the middle of the boat.
I also have 2 captains chairs. I never noticed if that actually supported the cover at all. But I think the tower provides more cover height for runoff.

LoWeLL216

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also didn't realize you weren't supposed to tow with poles in. I've only towed long distances a few times (tow uncovered here locally). Good to know.