• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mountain bike riders?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I mean, I'm not sure anything hangs on to wet rocks. haha. Ripmo AF came with assagai in the back and when rocks are wet it is still a ass puckering affair. lol.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I mean, I'm not sure anything hangs on to wet rocks. haha. Ripmo AF came with assagai in the back and when rocks are wet it is still a ass puckering affair. lol.
I felt alright on the DHF/DHR riding wet rock slabs in north NJ. I run into problems when the rocks aren't ridden a lot and have some green growth, then it's impossible, like hitting black ice.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Fun times at a local Enduro race

2FF514CE-4358-44C5-A640-0E6257C9C3D5.jpegAA1869FF-7339-47FA-B1D7-5C53EE47293E.jpeg2B1DEE2A-CADE-4B8D-8D61-6A53A2B36997.pngEE93DE12-D504-4E76-B95A-EF291A010E15.jpeg6BF31ED6-F0AE-4C48-A548-46E67A9AFC33.jpeg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
With summer finally coming to an end in the Carolinas and the humidity no longer in the low 100s, I'm looking forward to getting out on the bike more. My summer riding is usually limited to pretty early in the morning but enjoy a lunch ride fall through spring (thank you, WFH policy). Snapped a quick pic during today's lunch ride to have some eye candy for my post--my 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper with i9 Enduro 305 wheels. Stealth black with red accents.

20211005_125603.jpg

Coolbreeze704

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
With summer finally coming to an end in the Carolinas and the humidity no longer in the low 100s, I'm looking forward to getting out on the bike more. My summer riding is usually limited to pretty early in the morning but enjoy a lunch ride fall through spring (thank you, WFH policy). Snapped a quick pic during today's lunch ride to have some eye candy for my post--my 2021 Specialized Stumpjumper with i9 Enduro 305 wheels. Stealth black with red accents.

View attachment 164766
Spend any time on the trails at Lake Norman State Park?

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Spend any time on the trails at Lake Norman State Park?
Sure haven't. I'm in Chapel Hill area so most of my riding is there with the occasional trip to Uwharrie or Pisgah/Dupont.

Does Lake Norman State Park have a good trail system? I might need to string together a boating/biking trip. That's what we do at Uwharrie. I've got a buddy with a lake house on Tillery that's right across from Uwharrie--biking or trail running in the morning, boating in the afternoon!

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you close to Kanuga? Really want to go there.

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Are you close to Kanuga? Really want to go there.
I've not been to Kanuga yet, but I've heard great things about it from a friend that's been up there several times with his wife and teenage son (the son does Enduro and Downhill racing). The next time I head out to Pisgah/Dupont, I'm planning to spend a day at Kanuga since it's pretty close.

In addition to Kanuga (which you have to pedal back up), you've also got Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain not too far from there which have lifts to take you back up. That whole area just has tons of great options.

Coolbreeze704

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Sure haven't. I'm in Chapel Hill area so most of my riding is there with the occasional trip to Uwharrie or Pisgah/Dupont.

Does Lake Norman State Park have a good trail system? I might need to string together a boating/biking trip. That's what we do at Uwharrie. I've got a buddy with a lake house on Tillery that's right across from Uwharrie--biking or trail running in the morning, boating in the afternoon!

Great camping, fishing and over 25 miles of trails. Wonderful camping get away. Link above

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've not been to Kanuga yet, but I've heard great things about it from a friend that's been up there several times with his wife and teenage son (the son does Enduro and Downhill racing). The next time I head out to Pisgah/Dupont, I'm planning to spend a day at Kanuga since it's pretty close.

In addition to Kanuga (which you have to pedal back up), you've also got Beech Mountain and Sugar Mountain not too far from there which have lifts to take you back up. That whole area just has tons of great options.
For sure. You have great stuff up there. I still haven't done a lift or shuttle access park. There's one opening soon in my neck of the woods that looks like it will be ballwe

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just happened to see this thread. I ditched road cycling years ago when I moved south. Road cycling with no snow/break down lanes was sketchy. Picked up my first FS MTB a couple months ago. So much fun rippin single tracks. The motor certainly needs some work though ;-)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just happened to see this thread. I ditched road cycling years ago when I moved south. Road cycling with no snow/break down lanes was sketchy. Picked up my first FS MTB a couple months ago. So much fun rippin single tracks. The motor certainly needs some work though ;-)
One of us!

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I ditched road cycling years ago, too. Tired of dealing with vehicular traffic and wondering if I was going to make it home alive. I took up mountain biking instead and haven't looked back--playing in the dirt is way more fun!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I ditched road cycling years ago, too. Tired of dealing with vehicular traffic and wondering if I was going to make it home alive. I took up mountain biking instead and haven't looked back--playing in the dirt is way more fun!
I'm really close to ditching the road bike.

I've done long distance tours, and have ridden on the road a LOT in years past. Now I'm wanting to take the 10yr old with me and no way am I putting him on the road with all these distracted drivers. My last tour was "pre-iphone" days so the attention of a driver was far more consistent than it is now.

My riding buddy from road riding moved away to CA a few years ago, and I haven't ridden much since. Before then he had a couple Mountain bikes, and he let me ride his old Stumpjumper Hardtail (It was an early '00's model) and I remember it being a great time. I'm ready to jump back in, and I have the approval from the boss to go ahead and get something.

My road bike has top shelf components (well they were 15yrs ago), and I get the importance of getting quality pieces and parts that will last. Road bike is a Cannondale CAAD9 with Dura-Ace shifters, and Ultegra driveline. Have some custom FAS wheels on there, and various carbon bits here and there to smooth it out.

I really like this bike: Grizl CF SL but it's a bit more than I want to spend right out of the gate.

This one is closer to my budget, but still looks interesting as well: Grand Canyon

Friend recommended this one: Rockhopper Expert 29 | Specialized.com

I like the idea of a gravel bike with a light suspension and knobby-ish tires, but think I might land on a full-on Mt Bike so I can ride in the local parks and not break it. Any thoughts?

Also.......What kind of racks are you guys using to transport these things? I'm looking at an Allen Sports 4-carrier for $35 on Facebook Marketplace, and I'm also seeing it range up to $1,200 for a Kuat tray style. Where's the happy medium here? I've always either had a roof rack or a pickup truck and just laid the bike in there. Not sure I want to drop the coin on another roof rack, and a hitch rack would let me transfer it to the wifes car if needed. THoughts here?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like the idea of a gravel bike with a light suspension and knobby-ish tires, but think I might land on a full-on Mt Bike so I can ride in the local parks and not break it. Any thoughts?
I feel like gravel bikes fit a niche riding style. Not sure I would feel comfortable on some single track trails with that style handle bar and little to no travel on the front fork.

Also.......What kind of racks are you guys using to transport these things? I'm looking at an Allen Sports 4-carrier for $35 on Facebook Marketplace, and I'm also seeing it range up to $1,200 for a Kuat tray style. Where's the happy medium here? I've always either had a roof rack or a pickup truck and just laid the bike in there. Not sure I want to drop the coin on another roof rack, and a hitch rack would let me transfer it to the wifes car if needed. THoughts here?
I have a hitch mount (Yakima) from a long time ago and it works great, super easy to move from hitch to hitch. Mine is only for 2 bikes, so I also have a tailgate pad that has been really great to for the pickup when I have the whole fleet of bikes along. I think this is the one I have, but there are a lot of others too: DAKINE Pickup Pad DLX | REI Co-op

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@2kwik4u
Highly recommend Fezzari or YT bikes if you are looking new. Direct to consumer and returnable if fit isn't right. Fezzari even lets you ride it on your trails for 30 days free. I ride a Fezzari Wasatch Peak Elite HT and a YT Izzo Comp FS. They are the best bikes I have ever ridden and actually fit me with XXL sizing. You can even spec different components with Fezzari before they ship it to you if desired. Buy far, the best value for bikes. Also, depending on your state, no sales tax.

Regarding racks, I use a moving blanket doubled up and folded over back of truck and a single tire floor stand to stabilize it. Cheap and incredibly convenient and quick to setup and use. If I bring buddies I just grab the other stand and another moving blanket.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u
Highly recommend Fezzari or YT bikes if you are looking new. Direct to consumer and returnable if fit isn't right. Fezzari even lets you ride it on your trails for 30 days free. I ride a Fezzari Wasatch Peak Elite HT and a YT Izzo Comp FS. They are the best bikes I have ever ridden and actually fit me with XXL sizing. You can even spec different components with Fezzari before they ship it to you if desired. Buy far, the best value for bikes. Also, depending on your state, no sales tax.

Regarding racks, I use a moving blanket doubled up and folded over back of truck and a single tire floor stand to stabilize it. Cheap and incredibly convenient and quick to setup and use. If I bring buddies I just grab the other stand and another moving blanket.
Hadn't heard of Fezzari before. Bikes look like a great value from here.

Looks like they have been hit by the parts shortages though. Most deliveries are 16-18wks out :(

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hadn't heard of Fezzari before. Bikes look like a great value from here.

Looks like they have been hit by the parts shortages though. Most deliveries are 16-18wks out :(
Yep - YT has recovered a little better regarding parts.