• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to The Dark Side. Pilot House w/F300. Just because... it's Atlantic Northeast.

britm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Stumbled across this thread and going through the same process, looking at similar options in the Northeast (Boston area) and while I love the fully integrated Yamaha jet setup - the pilothouse protection does help in New England. That said, did you take a hard look at some the direct Parker competitors and cool euro alternatives:

Judge
Axopar 28
Nimbus
Northcoast

Thanks

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stumbled across this thread and going through the same process, looking at similar options in the Northeast (Boston area) and while I love the fully integrated Yamaha jet setup - the pilothouse protection does help in New England. That said, did you take a hard look at some the direct Parker competitors and cool euro alternatives:

Judge
Axopar 28
Nimbus
Northcoast

Thanks
I'll chime in later, I would absolutely love to share. We have been into it for about two years now before we decided to take a plunge and I would be happy to exchange notes!

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Judge
Axopar 28
Nimbus
Northcoast

Thanks
That Axopar 28 looks amazing. I'm a day boater with weekender aspirations. That looks amazingly versatile!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That Axopar 28 looks amazing. I'm a day boater with weekender aspirations. That looks amazingly versatile!
Totally!
In fact they look even more amazing in person, really just awesome boats, the models with the aft cabin especially! that engineering marvel of a hull can cruise at 50mph in pretty rough water without beating you to death, nothing short of awesome really. Their pricing is also very competitive.
This boat was our leading contender for almost two years.

The main reason we decided to pass on the Axopar, and gone Parker (and I'm being 100% serious, no tongue-in-cheek nonsense): Axopar 28 is... too pretty. And a few other things, too, but that was the reason #1 for me.

I admired the fit and finish, and all, crawled all over those boats and liked pretty much everything I saw.
BUT
It just dawned on me, these boats are much like exotic cars - they either look smashing, when pampered, or they look like shit - when not pampered, and there is nothing in between, lol.

In more practical terms - I did not see myself being able to leave a new Axopar in my salt water wet slip, after just hosing it down, and call it a day; it would kill me not to clean everything up and it would be a huge ordeal with all the nice vinyl, amenities, huge sunroof etc etc.

I know, this may be weird but that's just the way I'm thinking.
I tend to think of my boats as "tools" rather than "toys".
And with the Parket, I would be comfortable to just use it like a tool, as it was designed for work not pleasure. In one analogy, it's more akin to something like the CJ jeep, or Boeing aircraft - these things are built to work and the working formula does not change so it is not flushy.

I don't know if it makes any sense for most recreational boaters, but it does for us.

I'll elaborate on the particulars, when I'm off wqork, lol.

--

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
Dude I would have washed that Axopar for you DAMN is it gorgeous :) but I really understand and similar thought process with us not buying the new AR250 for a 6 mile lake.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Judge
Axopar 28
Nimbus
Northcoast

Thanks
We chose a Pilot house, at least in part, for ease of mods like adding a cobia tower. It will need to be easily removable for towing, so I'm NOT planning on adding full controls up there. Rather, an intuitive BT remote with Gesture control, like the Furuno setup, will be the most useful setup for a boat like Parker. Sounds a bit crazy to walk around away from the helm, but I'm thinking it's okay as long as it's out in the open, and a MOB+ would be a requirement in that situation for me.

In the future, we may consider another boat like Axopar. Ranger Tugs / Cut Water / Jeaneau/ Leader - they all look very attractive. But it is like getting into RV, frankly, and not what we are want to do right now. Space is very limited in the cockpit, no serious fishability for escapades like Canyon trips. Maintenance requirements for all the systems on board kind of kills it for me, too, a show stopper - right now I need "simple" in my life, lol.

For more of less the same reason we did not consider any of the myriad of express cruisers, but did look at walkarounds, looked at tons of Robalo and GWs, and the new Leader boats in the WA and CWA class. But at the end having 1. large cockpit deck and 2. fully enclosed cabin - was the priority; that quickly brought us back to pilot house style and "the simpler the better" approach.

I don't care for isinglass, that's a separate topic, but being able to run into the safety of a fully enclosed cabin and shut the door behind you and turn on windshield wipers when it gets nasty has great appeal to me! Any one who fished in the NE would know, lol.

I was hell bent on getting a Steiger after moving to NJ, lol, but that feeling evaporated after looking at a few. Their fully enclosed Chesapeake versions with actual door are available. There's however a few things I just didn't care for and we were back looking at Parkers. Northcoasts are solid boats but we had strong preference for Parker's open cabin - the cabin and the helm are one big space, we like it in a small, trailerable boat.

Wood construction? Well, that's a separate topic. The long and short is, there are very few horror stories about Parkers, as far as rotten wood, and the truth is once a boat gets to be 20years+ a lot of things may need attention, wood or no wood. At the same time, the rigidity and the extremely solid feel of the Parkers running, the way they feel light and secure at the same time ploughing through some chop, is no doubt at least in part due to the way they are constructed and also the reason they don't mess with it trying to innovate. IDK.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One more thing. Parker makes two different hull types, MV and DV, and they are very different! Deep V handles chop remarkably well, while the Modified V is very stable when stationary, and great in the flats, the DVs roll a lot more when not moving. For any kind of offshoring the DVs are the way to go, needless to say. But the two get confused, and hence some of the "Parket pounding" stories.
Of course the helm up closer to the bow, a general feature of PH boats, does not help; by comparison, most CC have the helm positioned a few feet aft.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When are you (we) getting the boat?:)
We will see, turned out we apparently grabbed one of the last two build slots for the 2021 model, they said to start the build end of Nov, and Kate was told to visit in mid -late Dec if she was to see the project.
But then the dealer will be installing a bunch of upgrades/mods so that will probably take a while, most importantly the barrier epoxy paint will need 50+deg days... I think Betik is right on, lol.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We will see, turned out we apparently grabbed one of the last two build slots for the 2021 model, they said to start the build end of Nov, and Kate was told to visit in mid -late Dec if she was to see the project.
But then the dealer will be installing a bunch of upgrades/mods so that will probably take a while, most importantly the barrier epoxy paint will need 50+deg days... I think Betik is right on, lol.

--
There must be a climate controlled indoor space to apply the epoxy there somewhere. Do you know if it will be sprayed or rolled and tipped? Although, rolling and tipping is usually done on the topsides. The bottom is a difficult surface to perform that process.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There must be a climate controlled indoor space to apply the epoxy there somewhere. Do you know if it will be sprayed or rolled and tipped? Although, rolling and tipping is usually done on the topsides. The bottom is a difficult surface to perform that process.
Good question, I am curious. They do a lot of those, New Jersey Outboards, Bayville, NJ.

--

ourlee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
HA! that’s where we bought our 2012 aqua patio 24SL. “Goldmember”

britm3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
We chose a Pilot house, at least in part, for ease of mods like adding a cobia tower. It will need to be easily removable for towing, so I'm NOT planning on adding full controls up there. Rather, an intuitive BT remote with Gesture control, like the Furuno setup, will be the most useful setup for a boat like Parker. Sounds a bit crazy to walk around away from the helm, but I'm thinking it's okay as long as it's out in the open, and a MOB+ would be a requirement in that situation for me.

In the future, we may consider another boat like Axopar. Ranger Tugs / Cut Water / Jeaneau/ Leader - they all look very attractive. But it is like getting into RV, frankly, and not what we are want to do right now. Space is very limited in the cockpit, no serious fishability for escapades like Canyon trips. Maintenance requirements for all the systems on board kind of kills it for me, too, a show stopper - right now I need "simple" in my life, lol.

For more of less the same reason we did not consider any of the myriad of express cruisers, but did look at walkarounds, looked at tons of Robalo and GWs, and the new Leader boats in the WA and CWA class. But at the end having 1. large cockpit deck and 2. fully enclosed cabin - was the priority; that quickly brought us back to pilot house style and "the simpler the better" approach.

I don't care for isinglass, that's a separate topic, but being able to run into the safety of a fully enclosed cabin and shut the door behind you and turn on windshield wipers when it gets nasty has great appeal to me! Any one who fished in the NE would know, lol.

I was hell bent on getting a Steiger after moving to NJ, lol, but that feeling evaporated after looking at a few. Their fully enclosed Chesapeake versions with actual door are available. There's however a few things I just didn't care for and we were back looking at Parkers. Northcoasts are solid boats but we had strong preference for Parker's open cabin - the cabin and the helm are one big space, we like it in a small, trailerable boat.

Wood construction? Well, that's a separate topic. The long and short is, there are very few horror stories about Parkers, as far as rotten wood, and the truth is once a boat gets to be 20years+ a lot of things may need attention, wood or no wood. At the same time, the rigidity and the extremely solid feel of the Parkers running, the way they feel light and secure at the same time ploughing through some chop, is no doubt at least in part due to the way they are constructed and also the reason they don't mess with it trying to innovate. IDK.

--
Swatski - much appreciated and value your time on that decision approach - your view is like I am talking through my own thoughts here, but yes - I keep coming back to the simple solution with Parker after looking at: Cutwater, Jenneau Sport, Axopar, Nimbus, Defiance, Northcoast etc and then venture into walk around express style with Whaler Conquest's and the Pursuit Offshore.

I am more in the mixed used camp and fishing/crab trapping is a 10% thing for me and that is where the Parkers' feel a bit light on amenities, that said tired of fighting wind, cold water in the Boston Harbor and Mass Bay Area without real protection. Small footnote, I am coming out of a Donzi which fed the need for speed following a Yamaha but trying to get to the SUV feel on the water.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whaler Conquest's and the Pursuit Offshore.
Oh no, no. no, no, no, good sir! lol. That is just not going to work - you can not look at Parkers after seriously considering one of those. Especially that Pursuit, Mother of God, those are more like religious objects to me, lol. Amazing, amazing boats. The Parker would feel like stepping from a Cadillac into an tractor, lololol.
But, we are talking north of 300k and like 10'+ beam (Parker is half of it with more option than listed in the dealer brochure, lol, and 8.5' beam), which is not my territory (and wouldn't fit through my back yard gate, lol). And, I would need to budget for a divorce lawyer on top if I even looked at those :cool:.

Of well, one day, I'm telling myself, I may be exchanging notes on those. For now, we are going a lot more pedestrian, and looking forward to your adventure, please post here when you start looking!

In the meantime, we are trying to get a slip around here, before all the covid new owners hit the road next Spring, lol. Looking good, we might have something in the new marina in Carteret. Shhhh....

--

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree on the Pursuit. This S 328 has been at our Marina for the last couple of seasons. Beautiful, expensive boat. Catches my eye everytime they come and go. His MB G550 catches my eye as well.

BTW...Have you seen the interiors of some tractors lately. GPS, Autopilot, climate control...More gadgets than are on any of my boats. LOL.

20201114_091551.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW...Have you seen the interiors of some tractors lately. GPS, Autopilot, climate control...More gadgets than are on any of my boats. LOL.
lol I know what you mean, but I meant this:
1605364223781.png

My good friend Jim Wood of Arkansas' Bull Shoals Lake.
Here, I think he was working on getting the resort ready for @Bruce and @Betik, last year, lol. Good times!

BTW - I could only hope my new Parker would be as sturdy as this International Harvester(?) has been for Jim!

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am a function over form all day. Except when I daydream. As long as it gets the job done. I am sure that offset cultiivating tractor does the job well and Jim does not care what it looks like.

My post of the Pursuit was a short daydream. LOL.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Judge
Axopar 28
Nimbus
Northcoast

Thanks
I don't usually repost from other sites, but...This one is just too good not to share!
This is a post in classicparker.com that, basically, epitomizes how I feel about those boats.
It shows in pictures more or less everything you need to know about those boats, lol, and exactly how I plan to use mine. It's actually the same model we are buying with similar mods, even w/the second station, lol.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We got an update from Parker.
Kate was laughing uncontrollably, I bet they do it to all customers who, like her, pester them to no end for pics; the email she got:
1607392394941.png

Pretty funny.

--