• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to The Dark Side. Pilot House w/F300. Just because... it's Atlantic Northeast.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Sweet boat, lighter than I expected it to be. Congrats on getting to this milestone, should be slaying fish in no time.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That makes the two of us..., lol.
In particular, I'm not sold on the rollers but need to look up close hopefully this weekend, those are very popular around here, I've learned to obey local knowledge. That said, we trailer fair amount and bunks are simply better for the road, yet, launching a boat this size in tidal mostly really bad ramps gives rollers huge advantage.

As an aside, I'm mounting a front tow bar, I'll need for close quarter maneuvering in my backyard, taking it off when not in use.

--
I was going to ask about the rollers. Always look like a ton of pressure points to me. Especially if your boat spends much time sitting/bouncing on them. I get the ease of launch/retrieve, but they just seem wonky to me. Feels like there becomes a LOT more trust in the winch strap/cable to keep the boat ON the trailer with rollers. Safety chain will help of course, but if that calbe snaps I can see the boat sliding fore/aft on the trailer a TON as you're driving. Bunks are a little more resistant to that. I also think the bunks let the boat sit a little lower on the trailer overall. Those rollers just make it look precariously balanced on there instead of "snuggled in" like you see on a bunk trailer.

I'll be interested to see how the front bar looks on the LC. Be cool if someone made a method to hide it behind the front license plate. Keep the LC looking nice when not in use anyway. The front bar will be an IMMENSE help in navigating the boat into a tight spot. Had a good friend of mine that parked a 28' enclosed trailer in the area shown by following the blue line. Did it with a hitch on the front of his '95 Tahoe. Had to use 4low to get the traction and speed control he needed on the front tires, so he found a driveshaft disconnect device that RV'ers use to flat tow 4wd vehicles and installed that. Allowed him to have low range front wheel drive in the Tahoe, and it worked remarkably well.

1611760583000.png

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sometimes people look at me funny when I tell them there is a USCG Station in Vermont. Then I tell them that Vermont is the West coast of New England. It takes a minute to sink in. But you can boat from the St. Lawrence, Montreal all the way to NYC on the Lake, canal and the Hudson. Part of the Great Loop, an alternate route.

There used to be a Naval reserve station here too. I believe they built the Echo Lake Aquarium, Leahy Center on the site. A few years back there were a few intense Naval battles on the Lake.

View attachment 140984
Yessir! I'm very familiar with the concept, St. Lawrence river being Atlantic watershed - and the famous Chicago Portage and the story of Jolliet and father Marquette.
We did a part of the Loop with @Betik as a chase driver. I will most certainly be tempted to approach it the way now, lol.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sweet boat, lighter than I expected it to be. Congrats on getting to this milestone, should be slaying fish in no time.
Thank you Sir! Yes, they tend to be light but rigid, made with wood, that was a part of the decision making process, I really wanted a Steiger but those are 2-3k heavier for the same size, less DV and like the parker cabin way more, too.
I'll pull up to the scales. If the combo is over 7k or so it maybe time for an HD truck, frankly, trying to avoid it for too long...

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was going to ask about the rollers. Always look like a ton of pressure points to me. Especially if your boat spends much time sitting/bouncing on them. I get the ease of launch/retrieve, but they just seem wonky to me. Feels like there becomes a LOT more trust in the winch strap/cable to keep the boat ON the trailer with rollers. Safety chain will help of course, but if that calbe snaps I can see the boat sliding fore/aft on the trailer a TON as you're driving. Bunks are a little more resistant to that. I also think the bunks let the boat sit a little lower on the trailer overall. Those rollers just make it look precariously balanced on there instead of "snuggled in" like you see on a bunk trailer.

I'll be interested to see how the front bar looks on the LC. Be cool if someone made a method to hide it behind the front license plate. Keep the LC looking nice when not in use anyway. The front bar will be an IMMENSE help in navigating the boat into a tight spot. Had a good friend of mine that parked a 28' enclosed trailer in the area shown by following the blue line. Did it with a hitch on the front of his '95 Tahoe. Had to use 4low to get the traction and speed control he needed on the front tires, so he found a driveshaft disconnect device that RV'ers use to flat tow 4wd vehicles and installed that. Allowed him to have low range front wheel drive in the Tahoe, and it worked remarkably well.

View attachment 140967
I knew you would have good feedback. The rollers do lift the boat by few inches which is not great and something I've been trying to avoid but I can live with it as the boat does slide off the trailer more easily on shallow ramps/low tide. This particular dealer is a major player and they sell pretty much only roller-trailers, hundreds of them annually, so I find it a bit reassuring it's what they like. They have seen no issues with the bottom, but most their boats, including mine, are painted with a couple of layers of epoxy barrier and then ablatives.

I'm curious about the front hatch, never had one. My access and maneuvering room is okay - once I'm in my driveway. But, the turn from the street is the tough part, a very tight 90deg, and pushing the boat slightly up on a slope I'll need to block the breaks actuator. Pulling a @Betik, shall we say, lol? Albeit he does not use a front hitch receiver, does he? I know @Ronnie here uses one.

--

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swaski - my boating started in NJ and I always had roller trailers. Load Rite as you have pictured in fact. They held up well and one of our boats we had 24 years with many miles of trailering on it - and no apparent damage. There were many tidal ramps where I was glad to have it. When we moved to the Midwest and bought our Yamaha I was actually unsure of a bunk trailer - and painted no less! Yikes I was used to galvanized and rollers. It’s largely what we get used to, but frankly if I was buying a replacement trailer - it would be galvanized with rollers- even though Most of my boating now is on inland freshwater lakes.
I was in the USCG and we had many trailered boats / all on roller trailers.
I also did a lot of tuna fishing off of Pt. Pleasant and out to the canyon so a little envious as I miss those trips! I’m sure you’ll love your Parker with either trailer- go with what your comfortable with but for me I’d take the roller trailer! Either way enjoy the new boat!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swaski - my boating started in NJ and I always had roller trailers. Load Rite as you have pictured in fact. They held up well and one of our boats we had 24 years with many miles of trailering on it - and no apparent damage. There were many tidal ramps where I was glad to have it. When we moved to the Midwest and bought our Yamaha I was actually unsure of a bunk trailer - and painted no less! Yikes I was used to galvanized and rollers. It’s largely what we get used to, but frankly if I was buying a replacement trailer - it would be galvanized with rollers- even though Most of my boating now is on inland freshwater lakes.
I was in the USCG and we had many trailered boats / all on roller trailers.
I also did a lot of tuna fishing off of Pt. Pleasant and out to the canyon so a little envious as I miss those trips! I’m sure you’ll love your Parker with either trailer- go with what your comfortable with but for me I’d take the roller trailer! Either way enjoy the new boat!
Great info, and corroborates exactly what our guys from NJ Outboards are telling us as well.
I used to fish Boston Harbor and Stellwagen Bank when I lived there, long time ago, but have never been to the Canyons here so I'm super psyched.

BTW - my wife, Kate, just joined USCG Auxiliary, she is the newest crew member in training in Flotilla 15-10, very excited.

We will be among the first out hitting the water, early March the latest, lol. Just got a slip in Carteret on Arthur Kill, so things are falling in place.
Let us know if you ever visit here; playing captain for a day? - we can hook you up!

--

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@swatski - I may just do that - my in-laws live in Pt. Pleasant and we visit periodically. It’s been a long time since I trolled for yellowfin or chunked for big eye. There is good diving out there also - I think I saw you mention maybe doing some diving?? The lobster is really great there and just waiting to get grabbed!
I saw your post a while back about Kate and the USCGA - I hope she enjoys it! Educating boaters and providing courtesy checks is helpful to everyone on the water

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great info, and corroborates exactly what our guys from NJ Outboards are telling us as well.
100% agree here. Good to hear from a fellow boater that has a good deal of experience with them. Regardless of what I (or anyone else) thinks it looks like it does, there is tons of evidence that says it's just fine. Looks goofy to me, but I don't see them often, and have never used one.

One other thing I forgot to mention on the front hitch......watch your tongue weight. I watched my buddy lift the rear wheels on this Tahoe with too much in the front of that enclosed trailer. Totally goof up on his part, but he did it none-the-less. I doubt you have that issue, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski
Is there a "season" for tuna fishing up there ?
It's typically June through Sept/Oct, from what I can gather. I'll be making local trips ASAP to collect some intelligence, I'm a newb here.

Hopefully, we can get @PeterB to captain us around! Man, that would be sweet.

I'm planning to rig everything, get HMS permits etc. for the boat ASAP; between everything now seemingly on backorder and my work getting in the way, lol, we will see how it goes. Getting the bottom pained as soon as we have a couple of 50deg days. In the meantime, looking for a custom manufacturer for a cobia tower. My electronics are part factory, part custom and will take some time as well with radar, autopilot, etc.
Stay tuned! We are going to do some fishing.

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski - I may just do that - my in-laws live in Pt. Pleasant and we visit periodically. It’s been a long time since I trolled for yellowfin or chunked for big eye. There is good diving out there also - I think I saw you mention maybe doing some diving?? The lobster is really great there and just waiting to get grabbed!
I saw your post a while back about Kate and the USCGA - I hope she enjoys it! Educating boaters and providing courtesy checks is helpful to everyone on the water
That would be FANTASTIC. Please keep us posted, thrilled to have you show us the ropes. I'm flexible and free almost all weekends. Let's plan it!

FYI - we will be slipping this boat in Carteret. They actually just opened a brand new marina, which is very nice. It's at the mouth of Raritan Bay.
We also trailer, so - that's a possibility - if there was any parking and a ramp to be found by Mt. Pleasant, lol!

We are planning on doing some diving, I'm studying Dan Berg's book right now. It will probably be later this summer.

--

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@tim h as @swatski said season is June to fall but I found late summer best - but this changes a lot. The Gulf Stream is a key area and as water warms up there seem to be more pockets. There is a South Jersey tournament that is in August which may shed some light.
We used to troll in the early season and do some chunking in the fall

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We finalized the purchase today, so happy. This was the second last boat before the next delivery in... November. Market is nuts.

I took a good look at the trailer and the rollers, very impressive actually. What, @PeterB said - these guys here know what they are doing, they basically said for the boat this size need rollers for local ramps. They look very solid, perfect fit. With proper maintenance they should last.
1612051417171.png

1612051393764.png

1612051899148.png

Another pleasant surprise was the new style throttle boxes for the helm and second helm, nice and smooth.
1612053314087.png

1612051762064.png

1612051798551.png

The chair will be replaced w/suspension.
1612051841923.png

The inside feels like sitting in a humvee.
1612051994787.png

Most electronics are factory installed, but we are adding a few including a radar and a autopilot, pricey but a necessity in a busy harbor where we are.
1612052749302.png

1612052815508.png

WIndlass factory installed, too.
1612052990439.png

Tons of room in the cockpit!
1612053038670.png

1612053111139.png

Pretty good fit and finish overall, Kate loves the white rub rail.
1612053169940.png

Our sales person, Josh Webster, has been oustanding.
1612053234950.png

--

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Very nice. You are gonna like that roller trailer. I grew up with roller trailers on all our boats. The Yamaha was my first bunk trailer experience.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski New ride looks great!

I have so many questions. I'll get to a laptop at some point today and type them all out. All good things, just tons of curiosity on my side. There are ports and hatches and all kinds of things to learn here.

What's in front of the steering wheel inside? Just a small bed in that space? Anything else neat in there?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What's in front of the steering wheel inside? Just a small bed in that space? Anything else neat in there?
The space in front is just a small v-berth, with removable cushions for storage, anchor locker up front, and a portapotty w/pumpout.
Stock pic of anchor locker - it needs to hold a lot of rope /chain, typically minimum of 200-300ft around here
1612107333808.png

The best thing about this design - in our opinion - is the open design, no inside v-berth door/hatch.
Also - helm/dash access is open from the back.
A stock pic:
1612107187897.png

You wouldn't want to overnight there but enough space for kids to huddle.
Kate fits; you... you would need to fold in half, lolol.
It really is more of a huddle space than a cabin.
1612106003264.png

Parker open design of this space (no door on the inside) is awesome; as opposed to having it enclosed with an extra set of inside door/hatch - between the helm and the "cabin"/berth - which is the case in most all walkarounds/pilot houses. I just feel the space there is so small, having an extra door makes it feel like sitting inside a fish box; at least to me, that's the case w/ for example Steigers and NorthCoasts, also one of the main reasons we went Parker (among many other).

Here is the situation in a Steiger, and most small walkarounds/pilothouses/sport cabin boats - the inside cabin is enclosed and the back has a isinglass curtain, not a lockable door:
1612108230022.png

In a boat that size (trailerable w/8'6" beam), it seems Parker has the best compromise. Lockable on the outside, but open on the inside.
My kids frequently like to lay down and cuddle when we cruise, so that will work great for us, as we can still interact, and there is better air flow through the cabin on hot days.

On the other hand, having a sealed outside door to protect the cabin/helm from the elements is great. The cabin has a hatch on top, two small windows - all open wide which gives enough draft on hot days. Windshield and side windows at the helm open, too, and the door can be locked open while underway.
1612107166057.png

I still don't like the feel of being confined at the helm in some situations, but that's where the second helm on the outside comes in handy, when trolling, docking, throwing lines, or just wanting to hang out with passengers in the cockpit/outside.

An unusual option for these fishing boats, we ordered a full size bimini that covers the whole cockpit in the back, it stowes nicely strapped up front below the "rocket launchers".
1612108651033.png

--

Last edited: