• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Moving to The Dark Side. Pilot House w/F300. Just because... it's Atlantic Northeast.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m ready for some more detailed pics/video of this new vessel. When do you take delivery?
oh, that makes the two of us!
The boat is currently in MA, and we were told end of April is the earliest they would schedule a sea trial. In the meantime, making progress on paperwork - the boat is documented so a bit tricky.

The good news is we have a very reputable captain/surveyor scheduled to join us for the sea trial / trip, will spend some time with us to get us familiar with the boat; he's the same person we hired to do the initial survey in the showroom, a very nice and extremely knowledgeable gentleman - I'm excited about that.

The new trailer was ordered but won't be ready for pick up (somewhere in PA) until mid-April. I'm tempted to bring the boat on the water but it's probably just not a good idea for the first trip with pretty unpredictable weather here this time of year and having little familiarity with the boat at that point. So - I just need to be patient!

We decided to sell the Parker at this point (😢) so that will also need to be arranged.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
oh, that makes the two of us!
The boat is currently in MA, and we were told end of April is the earliest they would schedule a sea trial. In the meantime, making progress on paperwork - the boat is documented so a bit tricky.

The good news is we have a very reputable captain/surveyor scheduled to join us for the sea trial / trip, will spend some time with us to get us familiar with the boat; he's the same person we hired to do the initial survey in the showroom, a very nice and extremely knowledgeable gentleman - I'm excited about that.

The new trailer was ordered but won't be ready for pick up (somewhere in PA) until mid-April. I'm tempted to bring the boat on the water but it's probably just not a good idea for the first trip with pretty unpredictable weather here this time of year and having little familiarity with the boat at that point. So - I just need to be patient!

We decided to sell the Parker at this point (😢) so that will also need to be arranged.

--
A good surveyor is worth the money. We had a couple of good ones. The surveyor we hired found problems on our current Beneteau that a survey done by another guy a year before did not. The difference was our surveyor was not also a broker. We got the previous owner to pay for new rudder bearings (bushings) because of the survey. His surveyor's survey that he wanted us to see, missed the loose rudder, go figure, he was trying to make a commission on the sale the year before, from the guy we were buying it from. The PO said it "was too much boat for him", well BS, he could not sail it because of the loose rudder he did not know about. :banghead:
Another was when I went to sea trial and survey an older sailboat in Conneticut in 2017. The widow was selling a boat that had sat in a saltwater slip for 3 years. I have a few pictures of the exterior which was not too bad, but the interior was trashed, filled with her husbands junk. During the sea trial I discussed the boat with the surveyor and he said "RUN". Which I did when we docked. He gave us back 1/2 of his fee, because he did not have to "write up the report" of the "POS". FYI, Don't buy from POP YACHTS. Their ad on the boat was a lie. Out of over 200 photo's of the boat in the ad, they left out the one that made me run. If I had seen the rotten cabin sole with holes thru to the very wet/scummy bilge area, in pictures, I would not have made the 10hr round trip. Bilges should be dry.

20171102_121232.jpg
20171102_122346.jpg
20171102_125506.jpg
Surveyor looking at the standing rigging.

20171102_121502.jpg

Pretty good anti fouling for 3 years in a marine environment. Cast iron keel needs some work.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks @zipper, that's all very good advice.
Funny I was just reading this the other day - a bad rudder bearing can sink you!

I look forward to a good outcome here! as right now bills are piling up quickly and we are navigating a maze, lol.

Currently going through what is (apparently) pretty common issue with documented boats, the PO did not provide BOS (bill of sale) to USCG while the boat was technically already "sold" to the dealer (where we bought it); so now the dealer is after the PO who in travel status to find the missing paperwork... fun!

The surveyor we use is an owner of his company, reputable and recommended on THT as well (!); the dealer's a straight shooter and been in business for a long time running a marina on the Cape for like twenty years, so we are not freaking out.
But... Still a long way to go, lots of things could go sideways.

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is good that you are comfortable with your surveyor. We had our guy, Stan, who did our Bene, April 2018, survey an ODay first in Sept. 2017. That boat failed the survey miserably. He turned on the hot water heater and tripped the whole dock finger, not just the pedestal. Say's something about the shore power at that marina. Here are some pictures of his, owners, battery charger install. I like to talk about ABYC electrical regulations on this forum and this picture is what got me started. Too much wrong here.

20170929_122328.jpg

I did not want to buy into a boat where an owner did this. What else could there be? LOL

20170929_103448.jpg

Stan looking at the hull for blisters before he started tapping with his hammer. The hull was in good shape, that was about it. It also had a wet core on deck.

20170929_122015.jpg

We bailed on this boat because of the survey and the guy wanted too much. He reduced his price $9k after we said no. Was not enough to keep me interested. The guy selling this boat had just closed on a Junneau 45' Sun Odessey for around $250k

The boat we did buy 91 Beneteau First 35s5 needed a lot of TLC also, but she is a nicer platform to refit than the others we looked at. We have spent the last 3 years refitting her and are proud of what we have done for her.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @zipper, that's all very good advice.
Funny I was just reading this the other day - a bad rudder bearing can sink you!

I look forward to a good outcome here! as right now bills are piling up quickly and we are navigating a maze, lol.

Currently going through what is (apparently) pretty common issue with documented boats, the PO did not provide BOS (bill of sale) to USCG while the boat was technically already "sold" to the dealer (where we bought it); so now the dealer is after the PO who in travel status to find the missing paperwork... fun!

The surveyor we use is an owner of his company, reputable and recommended on THT as well (!); the dealer's a straight shooter and been in business for a long time running a marina on the Cape for like twenty years, so we are not freaking out.
But... Still a long way to go, lots of things could go sideways.

--
Wow, had not heard of this incident. You definetly do not want the rudder to slide down out of the top bushing. That rudder tube, on our boat, is FRP. The force on the rudder post will crack the tube and may leak to the interior, depending on where it cracks.

A diagram to show the general construction. On our Bene we have 2 Delrin bushings not bearings. Our rudder stock is FRP as well as the rudder tube.

Looking at the rudder blade, we do have water ingress during the season. Most likely a leak between the rudder post and the blade. I drill a 1/4" hole near the bottom of the rudder to let the water out each Fall. If not it will freeze and pop. I have been using the same hole for 3 years. I use Lifeseal to plug the hole while afloat. I drill/pull out the soft plug, on the hard to let the water out.

20220227_063803.jpg

Here is a picture of our boat, May 2018, just after purchase without a rudder. It was removed from the boat for the delrin bushing refit. The good thing about our boat is that we have a deep fin keel, bad for shallow water, but good when you need to make rudder repairs. Most people with short/shoal draft keels sitting on the hard find it necessary to dig a hole in the ground to allow the rudder post to clear the hull as it is dropped down for removal. Ours is so high, no hole was needed.

Picture below with no rudder. Rudder laying on ground aft. A couple of days after purchase in May 2018.

20180516_153324.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
And just like that...

As of yesterday, she was sold for asking price of 120k in cash, and will be going to CA... 😢

I congratulate the new owner. If I wasn't so dominated by females in my family, would never sold. It's an amazing fishing machine. Oh, well.

Assuming everything goes through, I decided to include the aftermarket ( PowerTech OFS4 ) 4-blade prop which I used in the boat, as a courtesy, I just liked it so much I think it belongs with this boat, lol. The boat is being sold with the OEM SWS2 prop, but this one will be included at no charge. I also made a small brochure on options and add-on, and service items for the new owner, to go along with the documentation, warranties etc.

Now I need to bring the EdgeWater down, scheduled pickup in Cape Cod the last week of April, weather permitting.

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You know how many speakers i can put in the Parker? 🤔🤑🤦‍♂️😎🙉

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski can't wait to see the next photos from the new boat!!!
Yessir.
That makes two of us! lol

We are still figuring the logistics, transport, slip, even paperwork (the boat is documented but missing something for USCG liking) etc.
Picking up the new trailer at a factory hopefully this week, after some delays.

We considered running down over water, but NE weather is just too unpredictable this time of year, 6-7ft seas in Block Island Sound and all around LI can be pretty typical, and that would be no fun...