• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

My bout with the flu

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just my thoughts on what on might to expect if one gets the flu especially if you are a senior. I also understand not all will receive the shots and I respect this positions.

Although this may not be the same for every one I thought I would share my experience with the flu and so that others may understand what to expect when the flu strikes you.

BACKGROUND:

I am White Male, age 78 weigh 215 and my height is 5’ 6”. I exercise regularly either riding and indoor cycle at the gym or other exercise equipment. I also hit my speed bag two or three times week for 40 to 50 minutes.

I am up to date on all my shots to include the covid virus and the flu shot. As I follow my Doctor’s advice when it comes to shots.

WHAT HAPPEN:

We celebrated Christmas at home and with our neighbors for a total of six adult and one 9 year old granddaughter. All was well on Tuesday the 27 of Dec when I was knocked off my feet. It started with aches and pains in my joints, diarrhea (that was constant for most of the time however as I recover it slow down to significantly) Urination (many times it came on quickly resulting in constant changes of PJs.). Now for the first three days I slept and I slept except for the times I had to the bathroom. I am saying like 20 to 22 hours. I did not have anything to eat or drink except one glass of water the first day. I did begin drinking water on the second day and had a dry piece of toast on the third day as I did just not feel like eating. On the third day I had one piece of dry English Muffin and plain homemade Turkey Broth. On the fourth day 30 Dec. I was still very tired and really did not leave the bed except to shower and bathroom visits approximately every two hours. I on the 30 Dec I had home made steel cut oat meal with honey for breakfast, one bowl of chicken noodle soup in mid afternoon. I call my Doctor and spoke however was not able to speak anyone until later in the day (I knew my doctor was on vacation) I spoke to a PA. He recommended gatorade, and place a heating blankly over may lower abdomen to calm down the bowel movements. I did as he directed. I drank the whole bottle of gatorade almost all at one time. I do believe this helped as did the heating pad which I applied for 20 minutes at a time. As the days went by I began to feel better and became a little more active However I did not hesitate to stay in bed. I did cook Plain rice for dinner on the 31st. On I Jan we again had steel cut oats for breakfast and soup for dinner with crackers. As I feeling much better and thought I was over the worse of it and in total recovery mode I made cream pasta with chicken and a small glass of wine and I mean a very small glass of a chardonnay. I had no after effects from the meal however the next day 2 January my feet were very very painful and I believe out of nowhere gout may have set in. I looked at my diet and nothing that I ate has caused gout before (I gave up shrimp and eat very little red meat). Fortunately for me our neighbor is a PA and gave me a shot late in the day and today my feet feel better. I will be taking steroids to calm it down. I believe I am about 99% recovered and may hit my speed bag for thirty minutes today and go back to the gym tomorrow.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to hear you're over the worst of it, getting older is hard work and keeping moving and hydrated is the best proactive preventative,

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
glad to hear you're over the worst of it, getting older is hard work and keeping moving and hydrated is the best proactive preventative,
I totally agree I only posted so others may understand what to expect as it is an A-- kicker.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First my thanks to all for the get well wishes. Although we hear a lot about the flu we seldom read anything of the daily impact. I know it is different for all. So I thought I would write a shot after action report of my experience I even sent copy to the CDC. Not sure they got it.

A few other thoughts:

I can tell you this is the first time I have felt old as the recovery takes awhile.

Exercise has been part of my life since ever I can remember. Now I have found many excuses not to exercise to include sitting in front of the computer etc.

You will lose weight or at least I did, not that I could not afford to but there are better weighs.

As to gout I believe this bout was brought on by stress as I am very conscious of food that I cannot eat.

Thank you and you all be safe out there

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
John, thank you for sharing and I’m glad you are feeling better.

Jim

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fortunately for me our neighbor is a PA and gave me a shot late in the day and today my feet feel better. I will be taking steroids to calm it down. I believe I am about 99% recovered and may hit my speed bag for thirty minutes today and go back to the gym tomorrow.
What was the shot if you do not mind sharing? Also you said you had received the flu shot?

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What was the shot if you do not mind sharing? Also you said you had received the flu shot?
I do not remember the name of the shot however I am now taking steroids. Yes I did have the flu shot however it does not guarantee that you will not get the flu. As the strains of virus change over time.

crazy4life

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not remember the name of the shot however I am now taking steroids. Yes I did have the flu shot however it does not guarantee that you will not get the flu. As the strains of virus change over time.
:thumbsup:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Getting old isn’t for pussies!

Glad you are feeling better! Are you sure it was the flu?

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Just my thoughts on what on might to expect if one gets the flu especially if you are a senior. I also understand not all will receive the shots and I respect this positions.

Although this may not be the same for every one I thought I would share my experience with the flu and so that others may understand what to expect when the flu strikes you.

BACKGROUND:

I am White Male, age 78 weigh 215 and my height is 5’ 6”. I exercise regularly either riding and indoor cycle at the gym or other exercise equipment. I also hit my speed bag two or three times week for 40 to 50 minutes.

I am up to date on all my shots to include the covid virus and the flu shot. As I follow my Doctor’s advice when it comes to shots.

WHAT HAPPEN:

We celebrated Christmas at home and with our neighbors for a total of six adult and one 9 year old granddaughter. All was well on Tuesday the 27 of Dec when I was knocked off my feet. It started with aches and pains in my joints, diarrhea (that was constant for most of the time however as I recover it slow down to significantly) Urination (many times it came on quickly resulting in constant changes of PJs.). Now for the first three days I slept and I slept except for the times I had to the bathroom. I am saying like 20 to 22 hours. I did not have anything to eat or drink except one glass of water the first day. I did begin drinking water on the second day and had a dry piece of toast on the third day as I did just not feel like eating. On the third day I had one piece of dry English Muffin and plain homemade Turkey Broth. On the fourth day 30 Dec. I was still very tired and really did not leave the bed except to shower and bathroom visits approximately every two hours. I on the 30 Dec I had home made steel cut oat meal with honey for breakfast, one bowl of chicken noodle soup in mid afternoon. I call my Doctor and spoke however was not able to speak anyone until later in the day (I knew my doctor was on vacation) I spoke to a PA. He recommended gatorade, and place a heating blankly over may lower abdomen to calm down the bowel movements. I did as he directed. I drank the whole bottle of gatorade almost all at one time. I do believe this helped as did the heating pad which I applied for 20 minutes at a time. As the days went by I began to feel better and became a little more active However I did not hesitate to stay in bed. I did cook Plain rice for dinner on the 31st. On I Jan we again had steel cut oats for breakfast and soup for dinner with crackers. As I feeling much better and thought I was over the worse of it and in total recovery mode I made cream pasta with chicken and a small glass of wine and I mean a very small glass of a chardonnay. I had no after effects from the meal however the next day 2 January my feet were very very painful and I believe out of nowhere gout may have set in. I looked at my diet and nothing that I ate has caused gout before (I gave up shrimp and eat very little red meat). Fortunately for me our neighbor is a PA and gave me a shot late in the day and today my feet feel better. I will be taking steroids to calm it down. I believe I am about 99% recovered and may hit my speed bag for thirty minutes today and go back to the gym tomorrow.
Flu is an upper respiratory infection. Diarrhea, is not a common symptom of the flu for an adult.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now a days the flu shot will most likely not prevent infection. But it will be extremely effective in preventing severe disease. Believe it or not, what John had is not considered severe.

Flu is an upper respiratory infection. Diarrhea, is not a common symptom of the flu for an adult.
- Not incorrect about GI symptoms, but we still see those in adults. Much more common in kids
- Flu is most definitely not an upper respiratory infection. Influenza pneumonia is very severe, and unvaccinated flu pneumonia can be very very bad. Intubated, ECMO, multiorgan failure bad.

source: its my job

--------------

John, I'm glad you are better. Flu sucks big time.

Ohio

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
Now a days the flu shot will most likely not prevent infection. But it will be extremely effective in preventing severe disease. Believe it or not, what John had is not considered severe.

- Not incorrect about GI symptoms, but we still see those in adults. Much more common in kids
- Flu is most definitely not an upper respiratory infection. Influenza pneumonia is very severe, and unvaccinated flu pneumonia can be very very bad. Intubated, ECMO, multiorgan failure bad.

source: its my job

--------------

John, I'm glad you are better. Flu sucks big time.
Web MD and the Mayo Clinic disagree with you.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Web MD and the Mayo Clinic disagree with you.

I'm unsure what in that link is different from what I said. Just to be clear, I agreed with you that GI symptoms are not common in adults, but uncommon does not mean impossible. And my other point is that it is not an upper respiratory infection, it affects the whole respiratory system. Including the lungs, which is not part of the upper respiratory tract, but rather lower. Hence influenza pneumonia. Maybe I did not explain myself in my first post.