• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need a new fuel tank!

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah, if you can't get it fixed... or prefer not to... there's tons of current Yamaha boats out there that have ~50 gallon tanks in production. I would see if I could get the measurements off of them and retrofit a new model into the boat. The sender should work fine as long as the height is correct. The other stuff could be easily cross-referenced here. You have a fiberglass guy, so any mods within the hull to help cradle the new tank better (if needed) would be completely do-able.

I would have a little hesitation about putting an aluminum fuel cell in there only because if it's not 100% securely installed, ANY rubbing by those corners could damage the hull from the inside out. As compared to plastic.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I would read @Glassman fact on repairing the cross linked polyethylene ( good find!! ) and find a good plastic welder around you. I think that would do the job and be just like factory again. That is one good thing about a thermoset. You can take it back to is original state and reform or remake what was once there.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The model number on my 2008 212X is FT5314. Other than that all the info on the nomenclature is the same. I wonder...

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I brought the holy tank to Springfield Marina today and the gentleman who works on all of their water docks said he was confident he could repair my tank, I explained to him that these fuel tanks are different than water tanks, they are made of different poly material. After talking with him I called Mike from Moeller. Words from Mike's mouth: You can't spin weld these cross link polyethylene tanks. Heat weld on linear poly tanks will work, but these tanks don't behave that way, you can't melt them and mold them back together.

I read @Glassman post about repairing crosslinked poly, that is great info to add to this forum! I don't foresee any of you having this issue, but if anyone did, this is definitely the place to be!

I also read up on an aluminum tank. I agree that maybe it's not the best option for this particular boat.

To be honest, cuz I'm more than past the point of etiquette, I don't want to dick around with trying to repair a fuel tank!

Here is a photo below of @itsdgm tank (2007 ar210 left) and mine (2004 ar230 right) I think they look pretty much the same! The only difference I see is the area where the air vent sits.

I have asked Mike from Moeller to compare the specs of these two tanks. He said they have the mold of the 2007 ar210 tank model number, but he is researching to see if I have to order from a different company who may own the rights to the mold (same thing we had to do before.)

If any of you have a 2007-2009 ar230 and could tell me your tank model number, it will help me find a tank similar to mine in case I have trouble acquiring this 2007 ar210 model.

Thoughts?

tank comparison.JPG

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2007 sx230 which is the same thing as an ar230 but no tower, my tank model is ft5314.

20150527_124811.jpg

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MutherTucker , it may be the perspective of the photos, but those two tanks look to be almost identical.

The vent is simply turned. It's just a fitting.

Grab one of those and make sure you have plenty of fresh neoprene pads (don't re-use the old ones) for the installation. You should be out on the water in no time! :winkingthumbsup"

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This looks like the exact same tank.

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow Renee, I never would have thought when you posted this in Sept last year that you would still be working on getting this fixed, hopefully one of these other tanks is a drop in swap for you. BTW, if you aren't a wakesurfer yet you will be after hanging out with some of this crew, especially at the big gathering.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Muther Tucker,
Here are pictures of my tank, model FT5314 from 2008 212X.IMG_8813rev1.jpg IMG_8815rev1.jpg IMG_8819rev1.jpg

Attachments

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow Renee, I never would have thought when you posted this in Sept last year that you would still be working on getting this fixed, hopefully one of these other tanks is a drop in swap for you. BTW, if you aren't a wakesurfer yet you will be after hanging out with some of this crew, especially at the big gathering.
At this point there's a good chance a wakeboard will be my only mode of transport on the water for the gathering! Good thing I have two paddle boards so I can bring friends... :/

trace

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
At this point there's a good chance a wakeboard will be my only mode of transport on the water for the gathering! Good thing I have two paddle boards so I can bring friends... :/
You don't know this crew Renee. No boat, No problem. Your family is welcome on our boat for some surf runs, the wife and I usually run up to the raft up to pick up surfers, go out for a good set for everyone on board, then circle back to swap out riders and do it all again, rinse and repeat all day. We usually raft up for a bit around lunch, and while swapping riders.

But we'll keep our fingers crossed that you get this tank problem licked and soon!

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agree with Trace. Getting you to the meet up is not a problem. From there everyone just goes from boat to boat or in the water, whichever you prefer. Than jump on an out going boat for water sports in between. More than enough boats and equipment for your whole family to enjoy. Do not under estimate the Shelbyville group. That said, I still have confidence your boat will be back on the water before than.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please contact tank manufacturer and get dimensions of your existing and others that may be close. Even though mine looks the same there may be something that prevents it from fitting.
How many in your family Muther Tucker?

MutherTucker

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Please contact tank manufacturer and get dimensions of your existing and others that may be close. Even though mine looks the same there may be something that prevents it from fitting.
How many in your family Muther Tucker?
I talked with Moeller and the dimensions are the same.

We are a party of 5! I have 3 daughters 15, 13, and 11. Good times. ;)