• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need opinions on cordless tool brands - Updated with the outcome

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So..... About following my own advice..... :rolleyes:

I went down to Home Depot and started looking at Milwaukee. I liked what I saw but - as mentioned - the price was a bit "champagne" for my beer budget. Also, they didn't have the exact combo set I would have liked.

I spent about 45 minutes looking at various combinations and comparing them to the other brands available. I kept coming back to Ridgid. The demo-tools felt good in hand and they had a complete combo set at a price that couldn't be beat:

The thing that really got my attention was the circular saw. My old set has a 6-1/2" thin-kerf blade (to help keep the battery alive longer). The new sets (all brands) have a full-blown 7-1/4" blade like a corded tool. Very cool.

So I plunked down my $449 + Tax and headed home happy. (Even though that little voice in the back of my head said "Are you SURE about this?")

Upon opening them up I was still happy with the overall feel. The light built into the chuck of the drill seemed to be an extra-cool feature.

I happily labeled my batteries and charged them up (I number them and put the in-service date on them to keep track).

Then I started fooling with the circular saw. Upon inspection, the base-plate was not only a bit warped, it was also impossible to set it to a perfect 90-degree angle to the blade. We're talking a considerable amount of daylight between my square and the blade with no more adjustment possible in that direction.

So this morning I took the set back for an exchange. We opened up the new set right there at the service desk and (using a square I grabbed from the hand-tools section) saw that this saw had the exact same problem.

The lady at Home Depot happily gave me a refund.

Back to the cordless section I went. Lesson learned, I headed straight to the Milwaukee display and "built my own" kit. I purchased a Drill/Driver combo kit that came with a charger and two 5.0 batteries ($349). There was a cheaper kit ($299) with the same two tools, but it came with a 2.0 and a 3.0 battery rather than two 5.0 batteries and no case. Then I grabbed the circular saw ("tool only" for $199). Here's the result:

If you're counting, yes, I paid $100 more for fewer tools (no Sawzall or flashlight) but man, are these nice tools.

When I need a reciprocating saw, I have my Dad's old corded Dewalt for now. I'll pick up an M18 Sawzall ($129 at this time for the "tool only" option) when the need arises.

So, don't take this as a "dis" on Ridgid tools. I have a few and they are decent. That said, they obviously had some QC issue with a batch of their circular saws. I liked everything about that set and it was going to be perfectly fine for my needs - but I can't have a tool in my stable that can't make a square cut. I learned long ago that that's just stupid.

My old Milwaukee set lasted 15 years. A new set of batteries would give it more life (and maybe a new set of brushes on the drill) but - as I said - sometimes you just know when it's time to upgrade. Here's the old "team" that got me through many home-improvement projects:

Sometimes we have to re-learn our own lessons. I did that this week. Choose the best tool you can afford, and then go up one model higher.

I'll never pick up one of these tools and wish it was a Ridgid. I might have spent the next decade wishing I had bought Milwaukee.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cutting at 90 degrees is overrated. Rigid all the way.
Just kidding! That Milwakee is Champaign price, but feels like silk. Congrats on the purchase. Rarely ever do you wish you had a crapier tool on hand. You will not be disappointed I don't think.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice! I dunno if you needed something right now, but we're getting close to tool sale time, with Black Friday... sometimes that money gets too hot in my pocket and starts burning a hole right through lol

I have several flashlights, but I gotta say, I really like the looks of this thing vs a flashlight M18™ ROVER™ LED Flood Light (Tool-Only)

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice! I dunno if you needed something right now, but we're getting close to tool sale time, with Black Friday... sometimes that money gets too hot in my pocket and starts burning a hole right through lol

I have several flashlights, but I gotta say, I really like the looks of this thing vs a flashlight M18™ ROVER™ LED Flood Light (Tool-Only)
Yeah, I was thinking of that, but here's the thing: A few years back I needed a smaller drill to work in a very tight space. It was a one-time job so I bought a cheap Black-and-Decker 20v Lithium drill to drill about 20 holes. I dropped it in a drawer and figured I'd use it only when I needed something small. Recently, the performance of my old batteries had gotten so bad, that I found myself reaching for the Black-and-Decker instead of the Milwaukee. THAT is when I knew something had to be done ASAP. :oops:

Black Friday might be a good time to add a few items to my home-brew "kit" though.... 🤔

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So..... About following my own advice..... :rolleyes:

I went down to Home Depot and started looking at Milwaukee. I liked what I saw but - as mentioned - the price was a bit "champagne" for my beer budget. Also, they didn't have the exact combo set I would have liked.

I spent about 45 minutes looking at various combinations and comparing them to the other brands available. I kept coming back to Ridgid. The demo-tools felt good in hand and they had a complete combo set at a price that couldn't be beat:
View attachment 105101

The thing that really got my attention was the circular saw. My old set has a 6-1/2" thin-kerf blade (to help keep the battery alive longer). The new sets (all brands) have a full-blown 7-1/4" blade like a corded tool. Very cool.

So I plunked down my $449 + Tax and headed home happy. (Even though that little voice in the back of my head said "Are you SURE about this?")

Upon opening them up I was still happy with the overall feel. The light built into the chuck of the drill seemed to be an extra-cool feature.

I happily labeled my batteries and charged them up (I number them and put the in-service date on them to keep track).

Then I started fooling with the circular saw. Upon inspection, the base-plate was not only a bit warped, it was also impossible to set it to a perfect 90-degree angle to the blade. We're talking a considerable amount of daylight between my square and the blade with no more adjustment possible in that direction.

So this morning I took the set back for an exchange. We opened up the new set right there at the service desk and (using a square I grabbed from the hand-tools section) saw that this saw had the exact same problem.

The lady at Home Depot happily gave me a refund.

Back to the cordless section I went. Lesson learned, I headed straight to the Milwaukee display and "built my own" kit. I purchased a Drill/Driver combo kit that came with a charger and two 5.0 batteries ($349). There was a cheaper kit ($299) with the same two tools, but it came with a 2.0 and a 3.0 battery rather than two 5.0 batteries and no case. Then I grabbed the circular saw ("tool only" for $199). Here's the result:
View attachment 105102

If you're counting, yes, I paid $100 more for fewer tools (no Sawzall or flashlight) but man, are these nice tools.

When I need a reciprocating saw, I have my Dad's old corded Dewalt for now. I'll pick up an M18 Sawzall ($129 at this time for the "tool only" option) when the need arises.

So, don't take this as a "dis" on Ridgid tools. I have a few and they are decent. That said, they obviously had some QC issue with a batch of their circular saws. I liked everything about that set and it was going to be perfectly fine for my needs - but I can't have a tool in my stable that can't make a square cut. I learned long ago that that's just stupid.

My old Milwaukee set lasted 15 years. A new set of batteries would give it more life (and maybe a new set of brushes on the drill) but - as I said - sometimes you just know when it's time to upgrade. Here's the old "team" that got me through many home-improvement projects:
View attachment 105103

Sometimes we have to re-learn our own lessons. I did that this week. Choose the best tool you can afford, and then go up one model higher.

I'll never pick up one of these tools and wish it was a Ridgid. I might have spent the next decade wishing I had bought Milwaukee.
You can sell these no problem, any trade guy will eat those up. Those are perfect compared to any plumbers tool set.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Milwaukee baby!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, I was thinking of that, but here's the thing: A few years back I needed a smaller drill to work in a very tight space. It was a one-time job so I bought a cheap Black-and-Decker 20v Lithium drill to drill about 20 holes. I dropped it in a drawer and figured I'd use it only when I needed something small. Recently, the performance of my old batteries had gotten so bad, that I found myself reaching for the Black-and-Decker instead of the Milwaukee. THAT is when I knew something had to be done ASAP. :oops:

Black Friday might be a good time to add a few items to my home-brew "kit" though.... 🤔
Happy Birthday 🥳

FireFighterHill

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Milwaukee is great stuff. I have all Dewalt. Im a big fan of their new 60v stuff. I have been amazed at how powerful, how long the battery last, and how fast they charge back up. So far I have a 60v grinder, sawzall, Worm drive style circular saw, and just recently i got the 60v string trimmer for my yard. If you buy Dewalt dont waste your money on anything that is not in the XR line or isnt brushless. The rest of my stuff is 20v Dewalt XR line.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Now take those new Milwaukee tools and set them on top of a ladder. Knock them off and kick 'em a few times before putting them on the tool bench. You don't want them looking un-used.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have pretty much all the ridgid cordless tools... even the chopsaw that was only available for a little while. Just need them to come out with a table-saw and I can have a cordless job site, with interchangeable batteries. (One can dream)

I bought them because of the free battery replacement if you buy from Home Depot and register for the free LSA.

That all said they are OK and definitely not as nice as the Milwaukee. But I got tired of replacing Milwaukee lithium batteries that seemed to last just a tad longer than there warranty.

*i believe Ryobi, ridgid and Milwaukee are all owned by the same company fwiw.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might want to look at the hackzall tool. It’s smaller and lighter than the sawzall it’s a great tool. You can use it with one hand too.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been reading and following along here.......Have an older 18V DeWalt setup that I've been having charging and battery issues for awhile. Tools still worked well when the batteries were full, but they rarely were.

Bought this to breathe some new life into them. Well worth the small amount of cash to get my good drill, impact, and circular saw back. Kind of a PIA to put on the old tools, but it works and didn't cost me an arm and a leg....I'd swear they are more powerful now than they ever have been, but I'm guessing that is placebo effect more than anything.

DEWALT 18v to 20v Adapter Kit (DCA2203C) - - Amazon.com

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

:angelic::banghead:

Of course. Why wouldn't they?

On the other hand, it has the smaller (6-1/2") circular saw and the smaller batteries. I'd have bought it, but I I'm glad I have the bigger saw.

NEVER check the price of the stock you just sold my friend. You'll kick yourself on a regular basis. ;)