• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need opinions on cordless tool brands - Updated with the outcome

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Back in 1998 I entered the realm of cordless tools when I bought a 12v DeWALT cordless drill about the time we bought our house. I ran that thing until the two batteries it came with were junk. That was somewhere around 2005.

In 2005 I purchased Milwaukee 18v (NiCAD) set on sale at Home Depot. It came with the circular saw, sawzall, hammer drill, flashlight, and radio. It also came with 3 batteries. Over the years the original batteries puked, but I purchased one in 2011 and another in 2014 to keep the set alive. That set - particularly the drill - has survived a decade-and-a-half of home-improvement projects. Many of these projects involved falls from ladders and even (occasionally) being improvised as a hammer. (Not normally an abuser but sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do.) They truly are good, rugged tools.

That said,I feel I've reached end-of-life with these batteries and - as much as I hate to part with such faithful equipment - it's time to move on to the latest and greatest. It sounds like they are much better, more powerful tools.

My gut leaning is to purchase another Milwaukee Tool set (thinking 18v FUEL at this point) but I thought I'd put this before the crowd and see what The Collective experiences have been with this and other brands lately. Are the still "makin' 'em like they used to?"

Thanks in advance.

wTheOnew

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a buddy that been using Rigid professionally for 7-8 years and he is always raving about them. Had a couple tools replaced under warranty without any fuss after being dropped from a few stories up. Has around a dozen batteries and has never had to replace any of them. I would think they would be darn near indestructible for typical home-improvement use.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a buddy that been using Rigid professionally for 7-8 years and he is always raving about them. Had a couple tools replaced under warranty without any fuss after being dropped from a few stories up. Has around a dozen batteries and has never had to replace any of them. I would think they would be darn near indestructible for typical home-improvement use.
Ah! Rigid! I forget about them when i tool shop - usually until AFTER I make the purchase. I've got a couple of their tools and I've always been happy with them. I'll add them to my list of considerations.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a nice collection of Ryobi tools, never let me down. Had most of them about 10 years now.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Milwaukee. Cost a little more than the others, but watch for deals at places like Farm and Fleet. I’ve used both Dewalt and Milwaukee at work and I’ve always liked Milwaukee better.

Not at all normal from my years of using Milwaukee tools but this happened the other day at work.B4335AA6-968D-4D37-A539-3FCE2FB74C35.jpeg
(We put up some serious torque numbers on traffic signal mast arms[1500-2500ft/lbs])

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Seems many of the trades here in Chicagoland are using either Milwaukee or Makita. Both take a thorough trashing, fall off the top of ladders and get drop kicked on a regular basis. And both have a crazy number of tools that use their batteries.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have Ryobi and although the tools have been fine the batteries have not. I would buy Milwaukee if I had to do it again. Sad thing is they don't make/offer everything that's Ryobi has.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been a dewalt guy for a couple decades. I burned up 2 drills, but i had extras from different kits. Probably just need brushes, but i was too lazy to even check. I moved to 20v lithium dewalts and they are lighter, more powerful, and last longer. I beat the crap out if them and 2 failures it if 15+ tools over 20 years is acceptable to me.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My opinion is if you want top quality in cordless, go with either Dewalt or Milwaukee. If you want less expensive but still serviceable then any of the other brands will do just fine. Just make sure you're getting lithium batteries and always keep them charged. Milwaukee has a 5 year no hassle warranty, but I think Rigid has a lifetime warranty. I personally believe Milwaukee has it all over anybody else in terms of quality and expansive selection of tools.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a plumbing company 23 people. Milwaukee#1 Dewalt #2 Mikita #3 Ridged #4
I use Dewalt myself and love them. They are all good. Brushless is the best now, lithium ion battery’s are great but suck in really cold weather below freezing don’t leave out in your truck overnight if you need then first thing.
The Dewalt 60 volt you do not need but will rip your arm off and is more powerful than corded models. Never had trouble at all with Mikita but the guys just use the others because they can get big kits on sale. Black Friday at Home Depot to Christmas.
Ridged if you buy at the right time are warranted forever and that includes batteries. You must register then when you buy.
Good luck you will be fine with any of them they all work so well.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I went with Dewalt when my Dewalt drill started smoking after 15 years of abuse. I bought on price....I think most of these are rock solid.

Get a leaf blower if you do any tubing! Fills huge tube in 60 seconds!

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use Milwaukee. They have just about everything and use the same battery. I have everything from auto tools to yard tools love them.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great replies gang! Thanks!

I too am of the opinion that these are all solid brands. I just haven't shopped for them in a while and I wanted to make sure one of them hadn't "turned into a pumpkin" as seems to happen so often when well-known brands/trademarks get sold to the highest bidder.

As I mentioned, I'm leaning heavily toward Milwaukee but Rigid is in the running (now that I've been reminded of it). Naturally, being in Wisconsin has some influence as well. ;)

(To be honest, I forgot how much I enjoy tool shopping. I haven't needed to purchase anything major in a while. :cool:)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As an infrequent home user the ryobi brand out of Home Depot has never let me down. Their current line is 18v lithium powered. Three things going for Ryobi:
1. Less expensive than most other brands.
2. Broadest range of tools (I and my friends in the trades really like the pictured inflator / deflator when camping and boating). image.jpg
3. Several different battery sizes, some with meters are available, so you can choose a lighter or less expensive battery when needed. I carry the pictured impact driver with the cheapest available battery and lug nut socket in each tow vehicle. Bonus in that the breaker bar pictured came with 3 double sided sockets of varying sizes.
image.jpg
Ryobi is definitely not pro grade but they are good enough for most average consumer users IMHO.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Makita has been my choice for the last 10 years or so. Never had any issues other than a clutch going out in an Impact after abusing the crap out of it driving 500 lags. Batteries have come a looong way. The charge seems to last forever sitting in my hot truck weeks on end.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Log another Dewalt fan here. Had a Millwalkee, Ryobi, etc., but love the brushless motors and sturdiness of the Dewalt. They seem to run forever. That said, it is usually the batteries that die before any tool...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love Milwaukee, Makita.
I was taught buying tools is not the time to "save" money.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I love Milwaukee, Makita.
I was taught buying tools is not the time to "save" money.

--
Taught that by an expert tool salesman! Lol

I know exactly what you mean, but I buy based on use and price. If it's a tool I'll only use once or twice, I will buy a cheaper less durable tool. Of course I twitch when I do this, but sometimes I simply cant justify the (often huge) extra cost of a top of the line tool.

If you are going to be taking these on work sites daily....probably go with the lifetime warranty! My Dewalts lasted at least 15 years of home use....great ROI on the kit I bought.

My Ryobi chainsaw same thing....10 years and going strong....could I have bought a Stihl? Sure...if I was in the business I would have.

It's a balance....unless you have piles of cash....

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
...don't have piles of cash. Traded that for a nice boat...