• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need (want?) a new pick up to tow

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
and I am open to all brands. I have had 2 Silverados, and my current one is a 2002 which runs great with under 80K miles on it, but is starting to rust underneath and I'm just done with replacing the brake lines every 2 years. I need to start thinking about something new. I would like a back seat, but that's about it. I am low maintenance and don't need leather or anything fancy, electronics wise. I just want something capable of hauling my 2008 SX 230, without straining the f out of it. Ford's seem to be the cheapest ones available, but I am not fond of Ford's considering their police cars (of which I had a few) all sucked. But they seem to have a good reputation as far as trucks go, so I am not set against one. In addition, I would like to keep it under 30k. Is 4wd worth the expense if I only use it a few days a year? I don't know but I've always had 4WD. I'd consider used, but when I bought my 2002 Silverado, I spent about a year looking for a well cared for used pick up, and I could not find one. Guess most folks are not as anal as the people on this board, with their stuff. I'm just looking for opinions from those aboard who always have one, lol.

I'm also selling this beautiful 2013 Infiniti G37 sport, with less than 25000 miles on it, and bumper to bumper Infiniti Wrap warranty on it until 2021, if you know of anyone interested. Rest assured this is the nicest 2013 sport in the entire country up for sale at the moment. Garage kept, all records, etc etc etc blah blah blah.....25 k to anyone on this board
b4.jpg

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2013/INFINITI/G37/Convertible-2D-V6/Values

I bought this one knowing I'd sell it within 2 years or so. Thus, video records kept.

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have had two Tundras. Very capable of moving your boat with nary a grunt. Japanese truck to match our Japanese boats.

Current boat hauler is a 2013 Tundra 4x4 Regular Cab Short Bed, which is lowered 4” in the back for a level look. The suspension is stout and hauls the boat and my regular Home Depot runs without issues.

An idea for the future underside rust avoidance, use a regular sprinkler (one of those that swings from side to side and shots gentle water upward). Place this under your truck after boat launching or playing on salty beach sand. Move it a couple of times to insure the underbelly gets rinsed well.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I picked up my very high optioned 2015 GMC Sierra SLT/Z71 for $36k a year ago with 36k miles on it. A bit over your price range of $30k, but I would think some less optioned versions are out there for under $30k with that kind of mileage. I had to drive ~150miles to find the options and mileage I wanted.

I'm gonna show your car to the wife. She wants a convertible, and we just got a quote for $7k of repairs on her Traverse.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
and I am open to all brands. I have had 2 Silverados, and my current one is a 2002 which runs great with under 80K miles on it, but is starting to rust underneath and I'm just done with replacing the brake lines every 2 years. I need to start thinking about something new. I would like a back seat, but that's about it. I am low maintenance and don't need leather or anything fancy, electronics wise. I just want something capable of hauling my 2008 SX 230, without straining the f out of it. Ford's seem to be the cheapest ones available, but I am not fond of Ford's considering their police cars (of which I had a few) all sucked. But they seem to have a good reputation as far as trucks go, so I am not set against one. In addition, I would like to keep it under 30k. Is 4wd worth the expense if I only use it a few days a year? I don't know but I've always had 4WD. I'd consider used, but when I bought my 2002 Silverado, I spent about a year looking for a well cared for used pick up, and I could not find one. Guess most folks are not as anal as the people on this board, with their stuff. I'm just looking for opinions from those aboard who always have one, lol.

I'm also selling this beautiful 2013 Infiniti G37 sport, with less than 25000 miles on it, and bumper to bumper Infiniti Wrap warranty on it until 2021, if you know of anyone interested. Rest assured this is the nicest 2013 sport in the entire country up for sale at the moment. Garage kept, all records, etc etc etc blah blah blah.....25 k to anyone on this board
View attachment 83111

https://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2013/INFINITI/G37/Convertible-2D-V6/Values

I bought this one knowing I'd sell it within 2 years or so. Thus, video records kept.

Why don’t you look at the 2014 MY silverado 1500? It skips a generation so you get the latest interior design goodness but don’t have to pay full .

I’m thinking about the same with my ‘13 Tahoe, get the new interior but don’t spend buckets of cash.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why don’t you look at the 2014 MY silverado 1500? It skips a generation so you get the latest interior design goodness but don’t have to pay full .

I’m thinking about the same with my ‘13 Tahoe, get the new interior but don’t spend buckets of cash.
That is one of the reasons I went with the '15 (couldn't find a '14 I liked). I wanted the new interior.

Had an '03 Yukon which was two interiors/bodies back. I was super pleased with that SUV and I can't say how pleased I am to be back into a fullsize. It just fits me better in general. It's easily the most "swiss army knife" of vehicles I've had to date. Does everything pretty decently.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is one of the reasons I went with the '15 (couldn't find a '14 I liked). I wanted the new interior.

Had an '03 Yukon which was two interiors/bodies back. I was super pleased with that SUV and I can't say how pleased I am to be back into a fullsize. It just fits me better in general. It's easily the most "swiss army knife" of vehicles I've had to date. Does everything pretty decently.
I wish I could find a deal as good that you got on the ‘15 Silverado! I will need crew cab and I’d like LT trim but not seeing that great of deals out there now.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you’re not driving it much, you may not be as concerned about the mileage. I just got an ‘11 F250 with over 100k miles for 18,000. It’s a seasonal vehicle for me... towing boat (maybe camper one day) and hauling my water tank for keeping the pool full (we have a well).

It was used by a surveyor or something similar. Obviously a work truck, but nice enough it was probably the manager running from job to job to get these miles.

I felt really good about the price.

And, of course, difference when towing between my ‘02 1/2 ton ram and the f250 is incredible.

Edit: it is the quad cab. Huge back seat. Fit the 5 of us on 6 hour drive this summer just fine.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really liked the Tundra that I rented, however the gas mileage was atrocious (which may not matter to you), and technology was terrible (which definitely doesn't matter to you, per your requirements). Might be worth a look.

Since tech, comforts, and economy were priorities for me, i chose the F150 (and have been very happy with it).

Last edited:

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have had two Tundras. Very capable of moving your boat with nary a grunt. Japanese truck to match our Japanese boats.

Current boat hauler is a 2013 Tundra 4x4 Regular Cab Short Bed, which is lowered 4” in the back for a level look. The suspension is stout and hauls the boat and my regular Home Depot runs without issues.

An idea for the future underside rust avoidance, use a regular sprinkler (one of those that swings from side to side and shots gentle water upward). Place this under your truck after boat launching or playing on salty beach sand. Move it a couple of times to insure the underbelly gets rinsed well.
78F4ADE8-2B12-49BB-93F3-00957CD01620.jpeg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I really liked the Tundra that I rented, however the gas mileage was atrocious (which may not matter to you), and technology was terrible (which definitely matters to you).

Since tech, comforts, and economy were priorities for me, i chose the F150 (and have been very happy with it).
Not to hijack my pal OCMD thread, what model f150 did you go with? I’m not a ford guy, but have seen firsthand a f150 platinum with eco boost towing away a toy hauler my wife’s corvette on a gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish I could find a deal as good that you got on the ‘15 Silverado! I will need crew cab and I’d like LT trim but not seeing that great of deals out there now.
It seemed like a decent deal at the time. I found 3 within a 500 mile radius that had the options/colors I wanted. This was the least expensive, so I started there. They had it at $39,500 on the lot. Was able to get out for $36k even with a 5yr/100k aftermarket warranty thrown in. It was sitting on the back row of a Ford dealership, and one of the car sites (CarGurus maybe) said it had been sitting on the lot for over 60 days. Of course had to pay tax/title/license on top of that. I think I financed $34k on it, so I'm sure I'm upside down at this point, but honestly like the truck so much I can't see why I would ever sell it.

I tracked down the previous owner and asked my he traded, said he loved the truck but had a "policy" of trading in at the end of the factory warranty. Truck has been solid for the last year (20k miles already :( ), and has only needed oil changes and a tire balance on the BFG AT's so far.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It seemed like a decent deal at the time. I found 3 within a 500 mile radius that had the options/colors I wanted. This was the least expensive, so I started there. They had it at $39,500 on the lot. Was able to get out for $36k even with a 5yr/100k aftermarket warranty thrown in. It was sitting on the back row of a Ford dealership, and one of the car sites (CarGurus maybe) said it had been sitting on the lot for over 60 days. Of course had to pay tax/title/license on top of that. I think I financed $34k on it, so I'm sure I'm upside down at this point, but honestly like the truck so much I can't see why I would ever sell it.

I tracked down the previous owner and asked my he traded, said he loved the truck but had a "policy" of trading in at the end of the factory warranty. Truck has been solid for the last year (20k miles already :( ), and has only needed oil changes and a tire balance on the BFG AT's so far.
Did you go for the LTZ trim? These trucks don’t seem to have sunroofs which I have as a requirement. I should shop around, and great idea with cargurus and the sit on the lot factor. Dealer Floor plan doesn’t age well...

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not to hijack my pal OCMD thread, what model f150 did you go with? I’m not a ford guy, but have seen firsthand a f150 platinum with eco boost towing away a toy hauler my wife’s corvette on a gooseneck / 5th wheel hitch in the bed of the truck.
I've got a 2017 Lariat, 502A

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you go for the LTZ trim? These trucks don’t seem to have sunroofs which I have as a requirement. I should shop around, and great idea with cargurus and the sit on the lot factor. Dealer Floor plan doesn’t age well...
I ended up with an SLT trim level. Mine is essentially a Denali with the Z71 package. Has about every bell and whistle you can think of. The Z71 gets you rancho shocks (which I think are way to stiff, and don't like), the 20in wheels that look better than the 22's on the Denali IMO, the "off road screen" in the information center, hill decent control, and a bunch of skid plates. I was really shopping for the wheels.

My requirements were:
'14+ GMC Sierra
Sunroof
4-doors
4 wheel drive
10-spoke wheels
black
Heated and A/C Seats
3.42 rear gears (the 3.08 equipped trucks are only rated at 5,100lbs in this trim/config, the 3.42 trucks are rated at 9,200lbs)

Lots of things I like now that I wasn't looking for:
Power rear slider
"squarish" running boards
BFG AT KO2 tires (love the look and traction, but they're a shade loud on the highway)
Heated Steering wheel (this is total feature overkill, but damn it's nice to have)
Weathertech floormats from previous owner. These are some damn nice mats, and I see where the money goes now that I have a set.

Things I wish it had:
Auto Up windows (only on drivers side in this truck. My '04 Audi had these, and it was awesome)
The 6.2L engine (Couldn't find one of these for sale with the other options I wanted anywhere in the country). The 5.3 does fine for me, but the 6.2 would've been a really nice feature to have. I mostly daily drive it, so it's probably best I got the smaller motor. The tow rating is 9,200lbs regardless of engine choice.
I really like the denali grill as well, but didn't want those wheels or the magnetic ride control.
Bed Cover (this is an obvious easy add on, but would've been nice to find one with it already on there)

Like I said, I found 3 in a 500 mile radius that were for sale with the options I wanted.. Drove to Cincinnatti (about 125 miles from me) to get this one. Next closest one was somewhere in Georgia I think.
2015GMCSierra.jpg

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had to go 150 miles out from 43206 to find one with a sunroof.

https://cargur.us/qdNRB

Keep in mind there are TWO Z71 packages. The one in this link is the appearance package. Has the flairs and wheels, but not the suspension mods or hill decent control, etc. This one also doesn't seem to have the trailer brake controller mine has. That's usually a good indication of having the 3.42 gears, but you should still check the RPO codes in the glove back to verify before purchase.

Edit.....Speaking of RPO codes. Get the dealer to send you a picture of the glove box sticker before you drive out. Make sure it has the 3.42 gears and the other appropriate packages you want.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I buy a new pick up every 2 years for work. Started with Ford, went to Chevy when they came out with the new Diesal. Had trouble with it went Jap, never looked back. Still have the 2010 2012 2014 and 2016 Toyota’s running in some part of the business I pass them to foreman and they pass them to parts runners. I went with a Nissan Titan pro 4X this time because I have 17 Nissan vans on the road and my dealer gave it to me for 40k, 55k sticker. It is ok but I will go back to a Tundra next year. The Nissan wears on the seats and phone crashes on the Bluetooth sometimes. Tundras just run and run and run. Brakes tires air filters and oil changes that’s it. Had to repair the A/C on the 2010. I thought about the eco Diesal and started reading the forums about them, one guy said he was happy he had only been back to the dealer twice for problems in 30k miles. Nope I don’t need any of that crap.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the reliability of the Japanese trucks. I looked hard at a Titan when I was upgrading this time. Neighbor had an '08 until about 2yrs ago when he moved up to a 2500 Silverado. Said he would have bought the new XD, but couldn't justify the cost over the GM. He basically said the same thing though, oil, brakes, and tires is all he had to mess with on it over the 8.5yrs he had it.

My biggest problem; I just really don't like the interior on them. There is a different "feel" to the interior on a Japanese manufacturer. I could't really put my finger on it, but it just "felt" off to me. Maybe I've just spent too much time in my GM vehicles to make a change at this point. Who knows. I really liked the Mazda RX8 interior we had, and the Mazda 6 has made it on the list for potential replacements for the wifes car.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I put 55,000 Miles a year on my pickup, and have had Ford since 2005. My last one (2014 F-150 XLT) has 150,000 miles on it when I traded in April this year, never had 1 issue. Not even a check engine light. Hell, even the tires lasted 100k. Honestly, between mine and my parent’s 17 Denali, I cant make an argument to go GM. Way smaller cab (both crew cabs), their 6.2 doesn’t tow as well as my 5.0. I’m sure I’ll ruffle a few feathers, but after my experience with both I’ll never own another GM. FWIW, my dad has an 06 Tundra that he loves too. Just my $.02