• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Needing some advice - 2007 SX230HO - Reinstalling new impeller bearings after jet pump rebuild - Epnoc grease in spacer and packing bearings

ChrissoSX230HO

Reaction score
St Hubert’s Island, New South Wales, Australia
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all,

Quick shout out to all the helpful people in Yamaha land on this forum and You Tube etc. Captain Leon you're a funny bugger (love your videos), Jeff's Jet Boats and Bruce from JetBoaters just to name a few. Have found so much helpful info & people on this site and hope to be able to give some back in the near future.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my jet pump after removing impellers, pump bearings, oil seals, shafts etc on my 2007 SX230HO all the way over here in St Hubert's Island, Australia. I've got a copy of the 2007 service manual and have researched a heap of useful threads on this site, mainly coming from Bruce's oil bath thread.
I'm sticking with the standard rebuild and have the new bearings, oil seals etc. I'm at the stage where I've cleaned up the shafts and am ready to get to a bearing press and reinstall the inner & outer bearings, spacers & oil seals. I probably still have a thousand questions, but the main ones I would like help with is in regard to the service manual exploded diagram for the impeller and drive shaft;
2007 SX230HO (1).jpg2007 SX230HO (2).jpgJetboaters.jpg
The diagram says to apply Yamaha Marine Grease "A" (which I have) to the inner and outer bearings when reinstalling - I'm assuming that it's okay to pack the bearings with grease before pressing (in particular the Inner bearing which will become inaccessible once the spacer and outer bearing is reinstalled).

The diagram also says to apply Epnoc grease (which I have) to the spacer that is in between the inner & outer bearing. The service manual says to fill the cone with Epnoc approx 1/3rd but I can't find out how much to put in the spacer - does it really matter or has anyone else done this before?

Also, the new bearings do not look as though they need to go in any certain way ie they appear to be the same front and back with no particular markings (all spare parts are Yamaha OEM)

There are lots of awesome videos and threads to do with changing impellers, I couldn't find any step by step specific to the 2007 SX230 - most useful was Bruce's & Green Hulks post but again, i had a few surprises when pulling the bearings and seals etc from the shaft.

Once I've reassembled I will put up step by step instructions and photos of what I've found to compliment the other threads on this site.

So far I've changed all of the stainless steel hose clamps under the clean out tray - nearly all broken.
Removed all of the old dodgy sound proofing from engine hatch as it would disintegrate every time I touched it.
Installed S/S Attwood scupper valve - mine too had a hairline crack
and quite a few other things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Aussie Chrisso

It appears to me that the exploded view has a picture in a picture view of the bearings showing an orientation of how the bearing should be installed? I’m assuming that both bearings do not have seals otherwise the EPNOC grease could not migrate from the cone to the bearings…. The other thing I would look for is a chamfer on the edge of the outer part of the bearing to ease installation.

It is interesting that the book spec’s the bearings to be packed with marine grease, I thought the lubrication was supposed to come from the EPNOC grease… I’ll have to look at my service manual and see what it shows.

Lastly, it seems to me that I had read in a post somewhere about where the bearings should be on the shaft when finished.. but I may have mis read that.

Back