• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New 222SE Broken Already

zhusuper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Got the new boat home and I was greeted with a broken screen.

Mounting screws completely pulled out from the base but the screen still functions.

Due to my local dealer refusing to service any boat that they didn't sell, I might just glue it back on and just forget about it:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_8468.jpg
    IMG_8468.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_8471.jpg
    IMG_8471.jpg
    759.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8470.jpg
    IMG_8470.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8469.jpg
    IMG_8469.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 94
I’m surprised yamaha doesn’t have a policy against denying owners service regardless of where they bought it. I’m not sorry for you I’m mad for you.

maybe if you send pics to the dealer you bought it from they will send you a replacement under warranty.

I’d call Yamaha corporate about that refusal to work on your boat. Im guessing that is not according to company policy it may very well not be legal.

Due to my local dealer refusing to service any boat that they didn't sell, I might just glue it back on and just forget about it:confused:

Just reaffirming why you didn’t buy there in the first place. A little customer service, friendliness, and support could have changed your mind in the future.......but noooooo. We drove across state for ours as well and we had no specific loyalties for boat dealers but our local shop wanted $10k over msrp and didn’t return our phone calls inquiring about boats.

I would not glue it back down. If it fails at some point and needs to be replaced, it will be a pain to do glued down. You should be able to get at it from the storage compartment under the dash and do a better job securing it yourself.

Also.... I didn't buy from my local dealer because they didn't have the model I wanted and had no clue when they would get it. However, I did buy the YES Warranty from my local dealer so that I could be one of their "customers" and I'll get to see how they do and whether they are worth buying from in the future.

Pretty easy DIY fix.... DO NOT GLUE.

Take off the screen from housing using the 4 bolts (one in each corner) then get some new bolts to mount base to helm. Shouldn't take more than 30 min.

Looking at that again… that needs to go back to a dealer to be documented and repaired.
Call Yamaha corporate and get the straight dope on whether or not the local dealer can refuse service to you because you didn’t buy it there.

Who told you that by the way? A salesman or the service department? Warranty claims are paid by Yamaha to the serving dealer. I’m curious why didn’t you buy from them in the first place?

Don't fix that yourself, on a Brand New Boat. If you do and say the screen stops working completely, you give Yamaha cause to not want to replace or fix a bigger problem and blame you. And that repair out of pocket would be thousands of dollars at least.

I would call Yamaha Corporate and discuss the dealers attitude toward fixing it. As mentioned if you don't have the ESP from yamaha, perhaps considering purchasing one through the local dealer, maybe work a discount if possible, could get that relationship off to a more positive future. I have the ESP and I got it in case I lose an engine or major electrical problem or MFG hull issue. ESP are not for everyone though, just a thought.

Don't fix that yourself, on a Brand New Boat. If you do and say the screen stops working completely, you give Yamaha cause to not want to replace or fix a bigger problem and blame you. And that repair out of pocket would be thousands of dollars at least.

I would call Yamaha Corporate and discuss the dealers attitude toward fixing it. As mentioned if you don't have the ESP from yamaha, perhaps considering purchasing one through the local dealer, maybe work a discount if possible, could get that relationship off to a more positive future. I have the ESP and I got it in case I lose an engine or major electrical problem or MFG hull issue. ESP are not for everyone though, just a thought.

I would get it documented - but if he's in season ready to the boat he should fix it himself unless dealer can fix it ASAP.

I would get it documented - but if he's in season ready to the boat he should fix it himself unless dealer can fix it ASAP.

Been down that path with other things that I temp fixed and then I have been denied during various points in my life. Each to their own. Steering Cables, sure, other minor things, sure. Electrical, Engine or Connext unit, I personally wouldn't roll the dice. Not saying that is the case for everyone.

Been down that path with other things that I temp fixed and then I have been denied during various points in my life. Each to their own. Steering Cables, sure, other minor things, sure. Electrical, Engine or Connext unit, I personally wouldn't roll the dice. Not saying that is the case for everyone.

Alternatively - don't say anything. If Connext stops working how would they know you bolted it back on?

Also need to mention to yamaha corporate the dealer that sold it to you did not do their job. They are suppose to check (dealer fees you paid in your invoice) and even water test before selling it to customers.

Call Yamaha corporate and get the straight dope on whether or not the local dealer can refuse service to you because you didn’t buy it there.
I called Yamaha this morning and they say that Yamaha doesn't own the dealerships and they get a lot of people calling them saying their local dealer won't work with them.
I didn't but the boat from them because I made the purchase decision rather late and doesn't have the patience to wait for one. After my local dealer said that they have sold all the boat this year, I went to look elsewhere.

We just bought a 2023 222SD from a dealer out of state because our local dealer didn't have any. Is that normal for a Yamaha dealer to refuse to perform maintenance/warranty work on a boat because it wasn't purchased from them?

We just bought a 2023 222SD from a dealer out of state because our local dealer didn't have any. Is that normal for a Yamaha dealer to refuse to perform maintenance/warranty work on a boat because it wasn't purchased from them?

Normal, No. But it does happen more often than you would think. Their own little Blackmail game to only buy from them.

Don't know if it's normal, but it's not ubiquitous. I bought mine in Northern VA, because it was in stock and forgot to cancel the deposit at the closer dealer in the Baltimore area. When the local place called to let me know that the boat was in, I told them I had already picked it up, but let them know I was looking forward to them servicing the boat. They couldn't have been nicer and said they were looking forward to it. Told me to let them know if I had any issues and they'd be happy to address them.

I'm not certain why a dealer would refuse warrantee work. They get compensated for it. It's probably more of a paperwork hassle, but still...

Don't know if it's normal, but it's not ubiquitous. I bought mine in Northern VA, because it was in stock and forgot to cancel the deposit at the closer dealer in the Baltimore area. When the local place called to let me know that the boat was in, I told them I had already picked it up, but let them know I was looking forward to them servicing the boat. They couldn't have been nicer and said they were looking forward to it. Told me to let them know if I had any issues and they'd be happy to address them.

I'm not certain why a dealer would refuse warrantee work. They get compensated for it. It's probably more of a paperwork hassle, but still...

Around here I would think it would be to keep their actual customers happy. I don't think our dealers do this and the wait to get a boat serviced to pushing a month. If they did customers only, they may only have a week wait.

Didn't think about that. Makes sense I guess, but from a financial standpoint, I'd expect that servicing the boat for years to come would make for a better "actual" customer than the one-time purchaser. I don't know how much margin there is in the actual sale, but it can't be all that much.

Didn't think about that. Makes sense I guess, but from a financial standpoint, I'd expect that servicing the boat for years to come would make for a better "actual" customer than the one-time purchaser. I don't know how much margin there is in the actual sale, but it can't be all that much.

I don’t think so either. I’m just playing devils advocate here. I think by doing this the dealer could also provide a better experience to their service customers.

I’d call Yamaha corporate about that refusal to work on your boat. Im guessing that is not according to company policy it may very well not be legal.

Dealers play that game it sucks . I would write a review in a word document send it to the Dealer and then call them and let them know you want to post it in reviews if the dealer has reviews if not on a google review. But send it to them first before posting I have found these letters end up on the owners desk then they hopefully realize its better to work with someone than get a bad review and loose future business.

The dealer would most likely use a subcontractor for that work so its not even done by there own employees.

Back