• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Hummers

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like a nice truck, the best looking EV I've seen except maybe the Audi e tron. Looks like it should even tow, though I wish they would have put more engineering into range and not worried about acceleration as much.

I don't need a 2 second 0 to 60 as much as I need it to be able to go 300 to 400 miles towing a boat round trip without recharging for more than 5 minutes with plenty of buffer for traffic and such.

I think it'll be a big hit though. People love hummers, GM screwed the pooch when they didn't turn hummer into high end diesel and hybrid SUVs in 08, but I suppose they didn't get to make their own decisions then, and Hummer was more of an assassination target than anything.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
GM did a deal with the devil ( us govt) to get their un repaid loan from the tax payers in exchange for making cars that the congress dictated.. all of which have failed miserably.

IMHO this will only be a mall crawler... if it is gas or diesel powered then that would be a different story. The laws of physics dictate as much.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It's big, it's electric, it does cool things like crab-walk - it'll sell like hot cakes. In fact, I think they're already sold out? However, while I have no issue with the move towards electric, I see a lot of similarities between our move to electric and the late 70's/early 80's push for fuel efficiency. 10-15 year trend only.

It doesn't appear that our grid can sustain a high use of electric charging, which makes electric vehicles DOA. Add that they have limited range, much more limited towing range, and long charging times (vs. fill-up), this trend will limit itself to the upper class and middle class wannabes (as seen already with Tesla).

I see the hybrid model as much more sustainable. More torque, better MPGs, no additional home or grid infrastructure needed, and a very small learning curve. Put out a diesel hybrid 1/2 ton truck that can tow 12k lbs, go 600 miles on a tank of gas, and get 35mpg in the city and you'll be minting money.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's big, it's electric, it does cool things like crab-walk - it'll sell like hot cakes. In fact, I think they're already sold out? However, while I have no issue with the move towards electric, I see a lot of similarities between our move to electric and the late 70's/early 80's push for fuel efficiency. 10-15 year trend only.

It doesn't appear that our grid can sustain a high use of electric charging, which makes electric vehicles DOA. Add that they have limited range, much more limited towing range, and long charging times (vs. fill-up), this trend will limit itself to the upper class and middle class wannabes (as seen already with Tesla).

I see the hybrid model as much more sustainable. More torque, better MPGs, no additional home or grid infrastructure needed, and a very small learning curve.
So much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

Mods, please merge this with the other electric truck thread so we don't do the same stuff over and over again.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

I see the hybrid model as much more sustainable. More torque, better MPGs, no additional home or grid infrastructure needed, and a very small learning curve. Put out a diesel hybrid 1/2 ton truck that can tow 12k lbs, go 600 miles on a tank of gas, and get 35mpg in the city and you'll be minting money.

You hit the nail on the head with the limitations of the grid... take ca for example, their historical load peak was set in 2006 at 50,205 MW’s for one hour. If you took half of the registered vehicles in that state, and they plug in when they get home, that is 59,000 MW’s and 236,000 mwh’s of demand, every day. ca can’t even keep the lights on now during a summer day when the system load didn’t broach 49,000 MW’s for one hour. Funny how the 11,000 MW’s of solar quits making power when the sun gets low...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
So much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

Mods, please merge this with the other electric truck thread so we don't do the same stuff over and over again.
Kind of a DB way of dismissing someone's opinion. Maybe copy and paste your brilliance from the other thread so that we may bask in it's righteousness?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You hit the nail on the head with the limitations of the grid... take ca for example, their historical load peak was set in 2006 at 50,205 MW’s for one hour. If you took half of the registered vehicles in that state, and they plug in when they get home, that is 59,000 MW’s and 236,000 mwh’s of demand, every day. ca can’t even keep the lights on now during a summer day when the system load didn’t broach 49,000 MW’s for one hour. Funny how the 11,000 MW’s of solar quits making power when the sun gets low...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kind of a DB way of dismissing someone's opinion. Maybe copy and paste your brilliance from the other thread so that we may bask in it's righteousness?
Or we could merge the threads and read over there instead of rehashing it all out here, in a new thread, again.

A quick link for those interested.

If we can't merge the threads can we at least get the popcorn emoji to interject when watching drama unfold?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh I agree 100% that it will be a mall crawler.

I don't understand the crab walk part. Maybe it's cuz I'm not an off road guy. Seems like a gimmick. People unfortunately buy gimmicks, so I get it. But again, I'd rather it not have as many gimmicks and get better range or something.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You probably didn't go past the first link on Google...

Electricity demand fluctuates throughout the day; demand is higher during daytime hours, peaking in the early evening. If many people buy electric vehicles and mostly try to charge right when they get home from work — as many currently do — the system could get overloaded or force utilities to deliver more electricity than they’re currently capable of producing.

In California, for example, the worry is not so much with the state’s overall power capacity, but rather with the ability to quickly ramp up production when demand is high, said Sandy Louey, media relations manager for the California Energy Commission, in an email. About 150,000 electric vehicles were sold in California in 2018 — 8% of all state car sales.

The state projects that electric vehicles will consume 5.4% of the state’s electricity, or 17,000 gigawatt-hours, by 2030.

Responding to the growth in electric vehicles will present unique challenges for each state. A team of researchers from the University of Texas at Austin estimated the amount of electricity that would be required if every car on the road transitioned to electric. Wyoming, for instance, would need to nudge up its electricity production only 17%, while Maine would have to produce 55% more.

Btw I could find any article online to support any opinion about nearly anything. Just because you can provide a link doesn't make it fact.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh I agree 100% that it will be a mall crawler.

I don't understand the crab walk part. Maybe it's cuz I'm not an off road guy. Seems like a gimmick. People unfortunately buy gimmicks, so I get it. But again, I'd rather it not have as many gimmicks and get better range or something.
Definitely more sizzle than steak in the crab mode.

Fun fact, GM has had rear wheel steering since the early '00's on large scale pickups. They called it Quadra-Steer and it was essentially a Dana 60 rear axle with full on steerable knuckles. Electrically actuated and controlled. it would "crab walk" at highway speeds, and I've read that towing with those is AMAZING at eliminating trailer sway. option was expensive with a low take rate though, so it didn't last long.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Electricity demand fluctuates throughout the day; demand is higher during daytime hours, peaking in the early evening. If many people buy electric vehicles and mostly try to charge right when they get home from work — as many currently do — the system could get overloaded or force utilities to deliver more electricity than they’re currently capable of producing.

In California, for example, the worry is not so much with the state’s overall power capacity, but rather with the ability to quickly ramp up production when demand is high, said Sandy Louey, media relations manager for the California Energy Commission, in an email. About 150,000 electric vehicles were sold in California in 2018 — 8% of all state car sales.

The state projects that electric vehicles will consume 5.4% of the state’s electricity, or 17,000 gigawatt-hours, by 2030.

Responding to the growth in electric vehicles will present unique challenges for each state. A team of researchers from the University of Texas at Austin estimated the amount of electricity that would be required if every car on the road transitioned to electric. Wyoming, for instance, would need to nudge up its electricity production only 17%, while Maine would have to produce 55% more.

Btw I could find any article online to support any opinion about nearly anything. Just because you can provide a link doesn't make it fact.
As someone with over 250k miles of EV driving (and towing) I can tell you that ALMOST NO ONE charges immediately when they arrive home.

They may plug in if they aren't planning to go anywhere that evening, but I (and literally everyone I know who drives electric) has the charge start later in the evening/overnight for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and that happens to coincide with when the grid usage is LOWEST.

This is what peer-reviewed research has shown over and over again.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Definitely more sizzle than steak in the crab mode.

Fun fact, GM has had rear wheel steering since the early '00's on large scale pickups. They called it Quadra-Steer and it was essentially a Dana 60 rear axle with full on steerable knuckles. Electrically actuated and controlled. it would "crab walk" at highway speeds, and I've read that towing with those is AMAZING at eliminating trailer sway. option was expensive with a low take rate though, so it didn't last long.
I think the Sierra c3 and first gen Sierra Denali had that.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As someone with over 250k miles of EV driving (and towing) I can tell you that ALMOST NO ONE charges immediately when they arrive home.

They may plug in if they aren't planning to go anywhere that evening, but I (and literally everyone I know who drives electric) has the charge start later in the evening/overnight for a variety of reasons.

Oh, and that happens to coincide with when the grid usage is LOWEST.

This is what peer-reviewed research has shown over and over again.
Can you delay the charge start from when the physical plug in happens? Sort of "schedule" it, despite the hardware already being connected? If so, that's clever and easily adjusted.

I (and I suspect others) always assumed it was like a cellphone. It starts charging as soon as you plug it in.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can you delay the charge start from when the physical plug in happens? Sort of "schedule" it, despite the hardware already being connected? If so, that's clever and easily adjusted.

I (and I suspect others) always assumed it was like a cellphone. It starts charging as soon as you plug it in.
Every EV sold today has that capability. Most chargers do too.

That capability in EITHER the car OR the charger is all that is needed.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

For me, I would plug it in whenever I got home (actually, I'd prefer it to wirelessly charge by like a million percent). I don't really care about peak grid time or whatever. We already have electricity metering for AC that you can opt into here, and it sucks. We opted out because our house ended up being much warmer while they cycled our AC off. They just need to build the damn capacity. If the capacity is a pain point, then I'm going to drive an ICE vehicle.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So

That statement by Sandy Louey is a blatant lie. After reading the report from the CAISO after last summers rolling blackouts and their cause I’m sure they are on a path to failure that is only going to get worse.

As I stated in a previous post, the demand for half of ca being electric would be 59,000 mw’s per hour for four hours, or 236,000 MW hours per day. Ca can’t even keep the lights on without continuous flex alerts, load shedding, and rolling black outs because of their over reliance on solar and wind. So you can move the charge times around all you want, it isn’t going to matter, not only does ca not have the generation to produce that load, ca will not be able to distribute those MW’s even if it had the generating resources for it.

So let’s say everyone decided to charge starting at 10 pm, now there is a huge load curve up instead of continuing it’s downward trend until 5 am. Now there will be another peak period and super peak period that will happen overnight. Prices will soar as they have since de regulation-remember that? When the lawmakers told everyone that they could pick their own provider and electricity was going to be so much cheaper? How’d that work out? Especially now that tier 4 rates are in the $45 cent per KWh range, which is where everyone will be once they start charging a car everyday as it is based on total KWh usage. Plus you get to pay all kinds of taxes that are calculated on the gross amount.

Electric cars are basically coal / gas fueled cars as that is the make up of the electrical portfolio. So by deferring charging to night time, they will be totally fossil fuel charged cars. Those are THE facts, not my own facts.

Now toss in the fact that all renewables with the exception of hydro and geothermal are a net carbon gain as neither wind or solar generating resources will ever produce the amount of energy it took to produce them, and you have this lunacy that some how electric cars are going to cut emissions.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Zombie thread!

Just watched a review of the Hummer SUV version... What a joke and utter failure. They took a winning for.ula from the H2 (big mofo with tons of space and 3 rows), and said "well nots do that, yeah?".

They made it a lot shorter than the truck, with less batteries and power. It's now a 2 row with not a ton of space behind the rear seats, kinda like the H3 except WAY more money.

Gotta say, I'm disappointed. GM had an opportunity to build a proper family hauler EV SUV and instead whiffed it, hard.

Admittedly, I was a big fan of the H3, especially the V8 powered Alpha. It worked because it was nice, but not too nice. It was off-road, but also classy and easy to drive around town. It also worked because it had the H2 as a bigger brother that was a capable 3 rows block.