• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

One of those days …

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The float plan was to boat 50 miles up river to old Sacramento with my brother, nephew and niece. In the water by 10 out of the water by 6.

I filled the tank and moved the boat out of the slip and onto the trailer by 7:30.

I was on the road by 8:30 and on the curb a mile out by 8:40. My Suv overheated but my brother drove out and towed the boat instead of me. Not great but they day was not lost.
D57D9F2D-3A99-42CB-8B09-02BC9A5AFD4D.jpeg
got in the water at 11:30. Rode 15 miles up river, doing about 30 mph the port engine shuts down and cranks weakly but wont start. Thankfully we are close to a boat house/ launch/ gas station.

There wasn’t an Uber driver nearby so I called my wife to pick my brother up and drive him back to his truck. Before he got back I was cleaning the boat up and I heard a pop. I looked back and saw that my driver’s side windshield just shattered.
9F3E9A52-B196-4C65-894F-70DC53DD3B81.jpeg
6593C508-3B27-47C1-A3C4-C79D91A38FFB.jpeg
I got home about 630 after an early lunch across the street from the boat house.

What a long and I’m sure very expensive day.

Oh man…. The windshield just randomly shattering like that absolutely freaks me out. Mine is too old, they’re no longer made, not sure what my options would even be. But, back to you, hopefully you’re able to get both your boat and tow vehicle fixed up without losing your metaphorical ass. Any coolant loss on the SUV?

Sorry you had a bummer day …

That sucks man I feel for you. Days like that make you want to get off the water for good. Hopefully you got all your bad luck out of the way for a while!

A little side story about the Burger King cup in one of the pics above. My wife brought me a full cup of soda and handed me a full Burger King bay when she showed up to pick up my brother. The marina manger invited me to eat the air conditioned break room. When opened the bag I found that it was full of my wife’s trash (I.e., burger wrapper, fries container, napkins and receipt). I chalk this up to a jab delivered by karma before the knock out Brocken window upper cut to the gut.

Update 1. I have a relative that owns an auto shop nearby that i will have the suv towed to this week. He couldn’t take it yesterday, no room in the shop and he told me. It to leave it outside because of numerous previous catalytic converter thefts.

Update 2: my brother referred me to his mobile mechanic, he should be coming out to diagnose the problem this week. $120 for time and gas to make the trip plus $65 an hour.

im Pretty sure I’m done using the boat this season And given the circumstances I will cancel my wet slip at the marina after this month, maybe after October, so I cangive the boat a lot of tlcat Home on the trailer during the off season.Starting with a good cleaning, fix the engine, usual new spark plugs, oil and filters, and new upholstery skins. As for the window I will try to find one in stock and will order one out of stock if I have the option to. I’m the mean time, I will tint the outside of the window with mirror tint and probably the inside (again) with limo/black out tint.

Man, that is one of those days when you should just go back to bed... Sorry to hear about it all.

Would be interested to know what happened with the windshield. Very odd for it to just shatter like that.

Hopefully the engine is just a loose cable from the magneto or something like that--cheap and easy. Will keep the fingers crossed for you on that.

Hopefully it wasn't the timing chain. The fact it still cranks is encouraging. The glass may be a tough find.

Thanks @tdonoughue .

the windshield was just a fluke. I was squatting as I opened the head compartment door. The boat was tied up loosely via two cleats. I opened the door and heard a pop. Turned around to see the window had shattered. It was about 90 degrees out, so the coolest it’s been in over a week. Just checked yamaha sports plaza for a replacement windshield, just under $1,100. I will call and place that order with a person just to have them verify they have one in stock ready to ship.

I’m hoping for a loose wire as well on the engine. Got no warning on that either, the engines were humming at 6k doing about 30ish mph and the port engine just stopped running / tack dropped to 0.

im pretty sure this happened sometime yesterday as well (I ripped the cover, on my wife’s Waverunner, moving it around to get to the boat trailer and expedition positioned).
9004EFA9-2A63-49A5-8907-4F57FB1C2898.jpeg
the expedition just got towed to the shop.
I’m going to talk to the shop owner later today.
8EDC7CE5-8DD1-4414-B995-518615D782BF.jpeg

Last edited:
You just can't catch a break @Ronnie. Maybe go buy a lottery ticket, your luck has to turn around sooner or later.

The float plan was to boat 50 miles up river to old Sacramento with my brother, nephew and niece. In the water by 10 out of the water by 6.

I filled the tank and moved the boat out of the slip and onto the trailer by 7:30.

I was on the road by 8:30 and on the curb a mile out by 8:40. My Suv overheated but my brother drove out and towed the boat instead of me. Not great but they day was not lost.
View attachment 187853
got in the water at 11:30. Rode 15 miles up river, doing about 30 mph the port engine shuts down and cranks weakly but wont start. Thankfully we are close to a boat house/ launch/ gas station.

There wasn’t an Uber driver nearby so I called my wife to pick my brother up and drive him back to his truck. Before he got back I was cleaning the boat up and I heard a pop. I looked back and saw that my driver’s side windshield just shattered.
View attachment 187854
View attachment 187855
I got home about 630 after an early lunch across the street from the boat house.

What a long and I’m sure very expensive day.
That's a bucket day.

I just found out that the timing chain broke and now need to bring the boat into a shop to determine how much the valves are damaged and what it will cost to repair.

when I wen to clean the boat up i found this on my front door.
D7734661-EEDC-472D-9F5D-3B56978AF720.jpeg
New home, new town, same shit. Looks and feels like selective enforcement since my boat has only been out front for 5 days whereas I have neighbors and many others in town store their boats out front permanently.

the hits just keep on coming. I called the number on the notice and for an Automated I’m out until the end of the month call x of urgent message. I called x and found that it is a non working number. I plan to move the boat to a shop or to my back yard soon so I’m not at risk of being fined but
m not an advocate of people who lose it and go postal but I understand why that happens sometimes. Thankfully I’m no where near my tipping/ breaking point.

Bummer on the chain.
Does your county have the loophole where the trailer has to be hooked to a vehicle to be in compliance ? That's how most of the people in my are get around trailers in the street.

Bummer on the chain.
Does your county have the loophole where the trailer has to be hooked to a vehicle to be in compliance ? That's how most of the people in my are get around trailers in the street.

I've seen people do this in NYC. It's funny to see 24ft cabin cruisers parked in the bronx. To defeat the parking situation, they put other vehicles in the spot when they take the boat out.

Back