• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinions Welcome, should I sell or keep it?

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
slow day today, both at work and on the forum, so figured I'd kill some time and get your opinions. We're expecting our first child in mid-April, right around the time boating season here begins. my assumption is that the boat will see very little, if any use this summer, maybe longer. our plan is to eventually move to a bigger boat, but I figured that wouldn't be for a couple more years when the kid is older and we can actually use the boat more often. I had planned on selling the boat this spring, but the Boss, aka the wife, thinks we should keep it, just in case we get a chance to go out for the day, until we are ready for the next boat. my fear is the boat would not get any use, which is the worse thing one can do with a boat (let is sit parked). on the other hand, I can't imagine not having a boat now and going back to renting pontoons on the lake. what say you all? should I take advantage of this market and sell now, go without for a couple of years, maybe renting every now and then? or should I keep it until we're ready for the next one, even if it gets little use? if you've been in a similar situation with a newborn, how long before you started using your boat again? The loss in dollar value of selling now vs. later is not really important to me (I assumed it was worth $0 the day after I bought it).

If the money isn't a factor for you, since you could get a premium now, than keep it. Maintain it. You may get out once in a while. I have seen people take their children on the boat quite young, with the proper safety equipment and such.

I would sell it and a buy a Yamaha in a couple years. :) Congrats on the soon-to-be new addition to your family!

Keep it. How much is the impact of the current hot market really going to be in dollars on a 2008 boat.

We bought our boat and then had our first kid about 1 year later. We haven’t used it as much as we’d like but we’ve had him out 8 times or so in 15 months and he loves it. First time he was about 6-7 weeks old.

1645121452605.jpeg

Keep the boat and go use it. Babies are pretty darn tough.. as long as their britches are dry, their tummy is satisfied and momma is close to keep them warm they are happy..

Coming from a guy who learned the hard way about chasing the dollars.. the shine comes off of the dime really fast. Nothing will be able to replace the memories you make while out boating with your little bundle of joy!

I would keep it because I think people overstate to new parents how much you’ll stop doing x, y, or z now that you have a baby. We still went out to dinner, went to the mall, even Disney World in 0-2 years. (It’s actually easier: stroller/carrier & bag, it gets more difficult after that!) I think you’ll be going out in the boat, and with the baby.

Keep it . I think you will get out this year and boat if you keep it. But I totally agree with not letting things sit . I’ve rotated through so many dirt bikes and other toys over the years if I knew I wouldn’t use them for a while .I did that when I was having kids like yourself , knowing I would really get out much.

It is a great sellers market for everything now though, sold my Tige last summer and did great, then bought a new Scarab .

We bought our Waverunners when our (at the time) youngest was about 15 months old. She loved it (in fact she fell asleep most of the time when we were out riding). I would have no problem taking an infant on a boat with the proper safety equipment and under the right weather and water conditions. In fact, you might find that you and your wife can get a break because the baby falls asleep on board :)

Back