• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OUPV

Jimonthebeach

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Passed my U.S. Coast Guard OUPV (6-Pak) tests today 18 Oct.

I spent a significant part of the last couple of weeks taking classes taught by Sea School and studying for my OUPV (6-Pak) U.S. Coast Guard license. I tested today and passed all 4 tests with flying colors. Some aspects were challenging but overall it was enjoyable with a great instructor (thank you Capt. Peter James, Sea School, and The Club at T.I.) and a great group of fellow students.

Congratulations!

So... what does that let you pilot? Would love to know seamanship that well, at any rate!

Depends on how the CG evaluates my experience. Somewhere between 25 ton to 100 ton vessel and either inshore or up to 100 ton offshore with up to 6 paying passengers.

Congrats! What is your goal? White boat? Fishing charter?

What was the cost beyond the couple of weeks of time?

How did you document your 300 hours?

I have occasionally thought about taking the test.

Bruce, When all is said and done, and if I go on to get my license, I figure I will have spend between $1,200 and $1,500. That includes the course itself, testing, plotting tools, USCG evaluation and license fees, CPR/AED/First aid classes, TWIC card, Med Physical, a Drug test program and getting a TWIC card from TSA.

Training was 54 hours not counting CPR/AED/First aid and the test was 4 hours.

Next step is to document sea service. A minimum of 360 days on the water experience from age 16 years to present is required. 90 of those 360 days must be within the most recent 3 years on a power or sail vessel over 16 feet in length. From what I understand since most small boaters do not maintain log books I will use Sea Service forms which are included in the USCG application package and just fill them in. The forms are one per boat and I list my time for each month of the year going backwards in time to age 16 or until the sea time requirements have been met. This time is then supported by proof of ownership of the vessel, if you are claiming time on your own boat. If you claim time on someone else's boat, then they must sign your sea service form.

I'm 68, that's 52 years to document possibly. I'm doing this one step at a time and now that I've done the core (the learning part), on to the admin part.

That's really cool, congratulations. So hours on our little boats would count towards the 360 requirement? This could be fun to pursue.

Thanks. Registered, motorized, sails; that all helps. Size is not specifically mentioned, that I can find, but the CG does note that jet-ski's, paddleboards, etc. might be considered only in light of other sea time.

Lots of people use 6 pack licenses for small, some even smaller than ours, fishing charters on inland lakes. So days on one of our boats should be fine for qualification. The 6 pack license is the lowest level that the Coast Guard offers. I would like to get one as I hope to be in the charter business someday. If you want to have more than 6 paying customers on your boat you need a higher level license with stricter requirements.

Back