• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Painting tower logos

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've searched and searched and can't find the post. I've even clicked through every page of the "What did you do to your boat today" thread from today back to when I joined the forum.

Sometone made a post a while back about painting the logos on the wake tower.
These:
20200324_193454.jpg

I believe they are aluminum. I'm just trying to find the original post so I can figure out what the best paint to use would be. And if I should remove them to paint them.

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You should get the numbers wrapped inside it would look good.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
checkout this GoogleFu:

1585102384339.png

Leads here: https://jetboaters.net/threads/off-market.23958/

Unfortunately, the pics have been pulled down??

@Julian - you probably don't still have access to those? You mention in the thread that you assisted in cleaning up the pics in the original post.

@Yamahakid - Are you still around, to answer this question?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are you wanting to know how to do it? I think you could do that with plastidip and be able to make clean tears at the letters.

See the video below. Obviously those emblems are embossed outside and the Yamaha are embossed inside but the same concept applies and the sharp edges of the letters should allow for similar results. You could use an exacto knife if needed just to help around and edges but I think it would peel cleanly. Worst case you peel it off and try again. I think it would also look good if you painted those swoop cut in areas above and below the letters but that might be more than what you're going after.

Last edited:

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I was thinking a bottle of Yamaha red touch up paint. And my daughter said she could "freehand it, no problem" without me removing them. She does a lot of calligraphy so I think she probably could.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea if you don't mind it being permanent go for it. Just thinking about resale if the next person would want that but totally up to you. I think it would look good with black "242" and a red "X" similar to how the hull graphic is. Either way it breaks up the big silver panel.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I hadn't thought about doing black & red. I like that idea. Thanks.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It would match your cool avatar :D

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think I recall the post being sought, the owner had the numbers and letters painted red and it looked great.
If it were me, I’d only spray paint it if it was removed from the boat. Hand painting it should be easy and you don’t have to worry about overspray. As for the type of paint, just get what’s appropriate for the material being painted.

I’m not convinced plastidip is the way to go. I’ve watched a few car videos on you tube and most long term reviews are negative because the plastidip seems to be a magnet for dirt / dust and once it’s damaged / scratched it can’t be simply touched up to look like new, it has to be removed completely before being reapplied. @haknslash made a good point about possible resale issues, but custom paint work could also make your boat more appealing, it really depends on what the buyer wants. Besides, I don’t know about you but I didn’t buy my boat with the concerns of the next owner in mind.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
There is clear sealer / for Plastidip. There is gloss matt satin. It will keep the dirt out.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm debating on trying Plastidip. I just don't want to have to remove the panels. They are a pain to take off.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having used PlastiDip for a few things, @Ronnie brings up some good points, BUT, it's so easy to remove and respray, that I would not look at those concerns as a sticking point for something so small. For his head covers, that's a bit bigger and a PITA to remove, but for your purposes, that's a relatively small area to experiment on. The upside to it would be that you could, indeed, remove it if you didn't like it, and quite easily. You could use it as a test, and if you like it, remove it and paint it "permanently". Overspray is far less of an issue with PlastiDip, since it's far easier to remove and deal with than enamel overspray.

I'm with @Ronnie though, I didn't buy my boat with the next owner's concerns in mind. They can repaint it just as easily as you did, and meanwhile, you can enjoy the added touches you do to your boat to increase your enjoyment of the boat.

Yamahakid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Hello again. Yes I’m still around and now have a 2019 242x. Just finished up painting the inserts in this one. Here are some pictures that I took today. Finally had some nice weather here in Michigan. 6C7B9010-6A60-4A48-AD11-5869C25C0287.jpegA512E3D9-8556-4DC3-BC29-1642B9EA30D6.jpegF9C48EC6-0DA2-411C-B370-A392AFCDD52C.jpeg3D7163D1-28C8-4D3B-B127-05828C891D76.jpeg

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Yamahakid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Did not have to remove any of them. I hand painted with automotive paint stick and it’s not really that difficult. If you get any paint on the outside of the inlay, you can use goof-off to get the extra paint off. It takes some time and patience to get it right, but it’s well worth the time. Very happy with the outcome.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Did not have to remove any of them. I hand painted with automotive paint stick and it’s not really that difficult. If you get any paint on the outside of the inlay, you can use goof-off to get the extra paint off. It takes some time and patience to get it right, but it’s well worth the time. Very happy with the outcome.
I have same boat. Could you post a product link or color code? That’s sweet!!

Yamahakid

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is the paint stick that i used for this boat. I used the fine one for getting into the corners and a medium tip for the larger areas. You can find them online, but we just happen to use these at my work to mark parts. Color was very close as you can see. Hope this helps!! AC519406-7199-4FAA-B47B-9C9CFC5A5AAD.jpeg