• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine cuts off - Clean out hatch

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Long story short I have had my port engine shut off randomly multiple times, mostly rough water but sometimes even idling. My dealer (Cycle Springs) confirmed it is the clean out hatch that sits on the kill switches. It is slightly warped and they said they have seen this before on our boats, including on another customers 2022 FSH. They basically said I have two options, one they order a new hatch and replace it or two they add a second lock right next to they kill switches just like the one that locks it down in the front. They suggest the lock because the other customer choose the first option and the second hatch came in warped as well. My question is has anyone had this modification done if so do you have pictures? It would be good piece of mind to never have to worry about it again, just seems like a poor design flaw on Yamaha as well though. Either one will be under warranty and no cost to me, so that's no factor in choosing.

randocommando

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I would order the new hatch. If it doesn't work, just epoxy a nickel or some kind of spacer to the hatch. That would mash down on the pressure switch a bit more. My boat is on a lift. Takes a lot of time to get it to a dealer. Not worth the back and forth in my opinion.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Long story short I have had my port engine shut off randomly multiple times, mostly rough water but sometimes even idling. My dealer (Cycle Springs) confirmed it is the clean out hatch that sits on the kill switches. It is slightly warped and they said they have seen this before on our boats, including on another customers 2022 FSH. They basically said I have two options, one they order a new hatch and replace it or two they add a second lock right next to they kill switches just like the one that locks it down in the front. They suggest the lock because the other customer choose the first option and the second hatch came in warped as well. My question is has anyone had this modification done if so do you have pictures? It would be good piece of mind to never have to worry about it again, just seems like a poor design flaw on Yamaha as well though. Either one will be under warranty and no cost to me, so that's no factor in choosing.
Knock on wood I’ve not had this issue….

If it was me I’d probably have them order a new hatch and see if I could get one that wasn’t warped. If the new one came warped I’d add two more latches, one next to the kill switches and a second on the port side to maintain the symmetry.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As @randocommando mentioned, I would epoxy/silicone a spacer to the hatch to apply more pressure on the kill switches. Since it seems like you probably boat in salt water either stainless, aluminum, or a small piece of thin starboard or a piece of an inexpensive cutting board.

Having additional latches would not be ideal if you sucked something up in rough seas and needed quick access to the clean out ports.

You can still have them order the hatch and have it replaced next service if cosmetically it bothers you.

My 2cents.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the responses guys. They actually just had another boat in today for the same problem and they opted for the latch. Here is a picture of what it looks like for those curious. I think I’m still going to opt just to have them order a new one but it’s not as bad as I thought. 0500CA74-2E20-4FDC-9314-F3C9EE5056F2.jpeg

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Why not just adjust the switch height. In my 2010 212x my switches can be set to different heights based on two nylon nuts that sit on both sides of the fiberglass. Took me 15 minutes to adjust mine.