• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible lawsuit against Scarab/Glastron/RBH (discussion thread)

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@ScarabMike - what boats, is there a list?

i'm close to buying a 2014 scarab 195 HO, 85 hours, from a large dealer
this worries me. should I stay clear?
My $0.02 from having watched this from the sidelines since they launched. . . . Stay clear of all things Scarab. . . ESPECIALLY pre 2018. There has been a BIG learning curve for Scarab/BRP.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
My $0.02 from having watched this from the sidelines since they launched. . . . Stay clear of all things Scarab. . . ESPECIALLY pre 2018. There has been a BIG learning curve for Scarab/BRP.
:(

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, the power plant has been out for some time, ...those without a supercharger are generally perceived as very reliable and low maintenance..the weak point being the carbon seal alignment known to sink them when it fails, and the plastic resonator that melts (and sinks them). Once you know about it you can monitor and adjust as needed. All Seadoo jet skis use the same/similar carbon ring system since 1998 or so. I don't have one or enough exposure, other than what we see in the board, but I would also think that we get an disproportionate number of issues, as folks with no problems may not be eager to look/research as much as those having issues. Beware issues exist, and have been documented by many on this board. If after reading what's available you want to go for it, then do it. It is what it is, no real guarantee of any kind. Even when new, depending on luck, you may be without a boat for months if you are in the unlucky few.

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well I have a 2015 Scarab 165 HO and I have had no problems with it as long as you take care of it. 141 Hrs. and going strong. As long as you have a dealer that will take care of you and know what they are doing should be no problem. And it seam funny to me that Yamaha owner giving Scarab advice, but then again that is my 2 cent .

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well, the power plant has been out for some time, ...those without a supercharger are generally perceived as very reliable and low maintenance..the weak point being the carbon seal alignment known to sink them when it fails, and the plastic resonator that melts (and sinks them). Once you know about it you can monitor and adjust as needed. All Seadoo jet skis use the same/similar carbon ring system since 1998 or so. I don't have one or enough exposure, other than what we see in the board, but I would also think that we get an disproportionate number of issues, as folks with no problems may not be eager to look/research as much as those having issues. Beware issues exist, and have been documented by many on this board. If after reading what's available you want to go for it, then do it. It is what it is, no real guarantee of any kind. Even when new, depending on luck, you may be without a boat for months if you are in the unlucky few.
i'm sorry, what is "the power plant"

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Well I have a 2015 Scarab 165 HO and I have had no problems with it as long as you take care of it. 141 Hrs. and going strong. As long as you have a dealer that will take care of you and know what they are doing should be no problem. And it seam funny to me that Yamaha owner giving Scarab advice, but then again that is my 2 cent .
yea. crap. the scarab dealer is 1.5 hours away, was hoping other marinas (4 of them in my town) would service them and wouldn't need super deep scarab service....

PapaBear

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Buy it if it is a good price. Insure it to hell and back... If it stays too sink let it. Have fun as long as you can

ALAN MANN SR.

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The power plant is a rotax 4-tec 1.5 L engine and in the impulse is the 250 supercharged engine.

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
The power plant is a rotax 4-tec 1.5 L engine and in the impulse is the 250 supercharged engine.
ok thank you, this is the 195 HO i'm looking at, and its the 250 supercharged

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Buy it if it is a good price. Insure it to hell and back... If it stays too sink let it. Have fun as long as you can
will boat insurance cover the boat if it sinks? no way. cause people in the forum here, had it sink half way, 10k of water damage and no insurance pay out

I think its a great deal, 85 hours, 2014 195 HO (non impulse) for 24.5k

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Do we know for sure insurance claim was filed and it was not paid? It would seem this is exactly what insurance is for. Something happens you don't control..should have paid. I have not attempted to collect on a boat insurance yet (and Hope I never have) but I would have expected to have a circumstance like these covered.

Engine info below:
http://commercial.brp.com/commercial-and-government/product-offer/on-water/rotax-jet-propulsion-system.html

Note it's the same block for 150 to 250HP
no I do not, i'm just assuming boat insurance wouldn't cover this. just like if an engine blew up, it wouldn't cover it, or if a part goes bad boat insurance doesnt' cover it (exactly like cars) - and if they don't cover failed parts, why would they cover damage from a failed part. just my thoughts

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think most boats sink because something broke. The mechanical fix may not be covered, but the damage resulting better be. If the boat is financed, the bank would be totally short. I rarely say this... I hope you are wrong :)

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Do we know for sure insurance claim was filed and it was not paid? It would seem this is exactly what insurance is for. Something happens you don't control..should have paid. I have not attempted to collect on a boat insurance yet (and Hope I never have) but I would have expected to have a circumstance like these covered.

Engine info below:
http://commercial.brp.com/commercial-and-government/product-offer/on-water/rotax-jet-propulsion-system.html

Note it's the same block for 150 to 250HP
nice engine article read, by chance do you have the suggested maintenance writeup for the engine? that site doesn't have it and scarab doesn't list the engine maintenance in their manual (looking for the at 200 hours do this, or do that - I've heard superchargers need a special maintenance every 200 hours and i'm assuming at 200 the carbon seal needs replaced)

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I think most boats sink because something broke. The mechanical fix may not be covered, but the damage resulting better be. If the boat is financed, the bank would be totally short. I rarely say this... I hope you are wrong :)
I hope im' wrong too - I just can't see them covering a boat sink from a part that may have failed. what if I left the drain plug out on a stern drive boat - will they cover that? :)

Derenzy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Nice @ALAN MANN SR. thank you for posting those.
so the carbon seal looks to not have a life expectancy, just inspect it over and over....

where the "clutch" needs to be replaced and worked on every 200 hours for super charger - anyone know what costs approx.?