• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pump Cone Oil Bath Mod - Long Term Results

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so changed to oil bath at beginning of last season. prepping boat for season two. went to check oil levels in pumps . right pump was good just a little low on oil....the clean green. left one got water in it somehow looks all milky, thinking front seal may have torn.PXL_20230409_193211740.jpg. pulled both pumps and the cones. will refill the good one and rebuild the other as it feels like a rough spot on front bearing. just glad I can do all of this myself lol.PXL_20230409_193058318.jpg

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so changed to oil bath at beginning of last season. prepping boat for season two. went to check oil levels in pumps . right pump was good just a little low on oil....the clean green. left one got water in it somehow looks all milky, thinking front seal may have torn.View attachment 197358. pulled both pumps and the cones. will refill the good one and rebuild the other as it feels like a rough spot on front bearing. just glad I can do all of this myself lol.View attachment 197359
Did you put new O rings on the cones when you made the switch?

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did. I also put a little bit of permatex along the flat surfaces. that part was sealed tight when I pried them off. I had problems out of that pump when I rebuilt it last year. shaft was right at min diameter in seal area behind impeller. had the beginning of a groove there from the bad bearings and seals I pulled last year. PO used the boat in brackish water. may just order a new shaft this go around so I'm not doing this again next year.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I did. I also put a little bit of permatex along the flat surfaces. that part was sealed tight when I pried them off. I had problems out of that pump when I rebuilt it last year. shaft was right at min diameter in seal area behind impeller. had the beginning of a groove there from the bad bearings and seals I pulled last year. PO used the boat in brackish water. may just order a new shaft this go around so I'm not doing this again next year.
Thanks for the quick reply…. How many hours on those engines? How is the other shaft? Are you in fresh water now?

I like your plan on just replacing the lot and move forward and not have that thought in the back of your mind!

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply…. How many hours on those engines? How is the other shaft? Are you in fresh water now?

I like your plan on just replacing the lot and move forward and not have that thought in the back of your mind!
In fresh water now. crab pots in the bay here during the warmer months but far enough upstream in the Potomac that there is not really any salt here. right at 130-135 hours for the engines. Easier to fix it and not worry about it. ordering parts now lol.

Other impeller shaft was perfect. could have just slapped it together but replaced all the seals.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so putting it all back together. old shaft had enough wear for the seals not to be seals lolPXL_20230423_174351567~2.jpg

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so putting it all back together. old shaft had enough wear for the seals not to be seals lolView attachment 198205
broke down and am having machine shop build me a jig for the front bearing .91 inch /23mm distance to the front lip...... using 2 inch thick Bar stock.

Yesterday was about an hour of messing around to get it right and then it slipped while pressing the rear bearing on.... so about 4 hours of my time with 3 pump rebuilds just to get that distance correct. I was stuck on step one lol.

using jig
1. Press bearing until it bottoms on jig .91/23mm distance is correct
2. put spacer on
3. press back bearing on...
4. freeze in freezer before install in pump to make it easier

If using one time makes this a one and done process it has paid for itself.... of course wont use it until next year...... but I wont be wasting time for a rebuild if needed.

Pump bearing Jig.jpg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Please show us a picture of what the machine shop made for you.

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Please show us a picture of what the machine shop made for you.
so machine shop finally finished my hunk o metalPXL_20230514_190242978~2.jpgPXL_20230514_190554557~2.jpg

hopefully it won't be needed until next year

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
so machine shop finally finished my hunk o metalView attachment 199841View attachment 199842

hopefully it won't be needed until next year
So your jig supports the shaft like this? (I made the step go all the way across as I couldn’t figure out how to draw it without it being too busy.) Then you just set the block across the press table with the the engine side of the shaft hanging down and use the bearing attachment 9 to push the bearing onto the shaft?

FF914D28-14A5-4A65-9F4D-117E0DC80A67.jpeg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So your jig supports the shaft like this? (I made the step go all the way across as I couldn’t figure out how to draw it without it being too busy.) Then you just set the block across the press table with the the engine side of the shaft hanging down and use the bearing attachment 9 to push the bearing onto the shaft?

View attachment 199908
That is exactly how I see it as well. short shaft up towards press, bearing stops when contact with block at precisely 23mm +/- 1.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So then you would install the shaft with new bearing on it into the housing, pack with EPNOC grease, slide the spacer on, then press the aft most bearing on the shaft, put on washer and torque nut to specified amount?

madtom

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

View attachment 199908
Yup. That way the jig becomes the shaft support in the press. assemble the bearing spacer and rear bearing without the 23mm shifting by accident while pressing. I was doing this previously with a wooden block but could never get it exactly to 23mm.... jig has the 23mm down to the lip which is the part in the factory book with the circled b and the measurement.