• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilding Yamaha Jet Boat Clean Out Plugs

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you won't need that and it would be a waste of money if you have the push button plugs the ez locks prevent blowouts and if you have the new twist in plugs we have not had those in use long enough to see if they have issues.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
you won't need that and it would be a waste of money if you have the push button plugs the ez locks prevent blowouts and if you have the new twist in plugs we have not had those in use long enough to see if they have issues.
ez locks are awesome. Twice they have saved my sorry lower rear end.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I still have them on my web page 39.99 for the twin set

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Question...My plugs end up held by the EZ Locks like 1 out of 5 outings. I appreciate the EZ Locks saving my butt, when that happens it's a pain to re-engage the plug and/or remove the ez lock with the plug mechanism pushing against the pin. Is there something I can do to my plug to make it not disengage on its own so frequently? (internal piece maybe needs to be replaced? Spring? Plastic Tab?)

Thanks!!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
First when the plug blows you hit the T handle downward to release the pressure from the dogs on the lock also watch these videos
and
there may be trash or sand inside your plug

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There may be some debris on mine as you suggest, As they are hard to fully engage and I have to use some force to engage them in. I'll open it up and watch for that jumping spring. Thanks for the video! My only real blow out happened after I had purchased your product...but installation was still required!!! I have had several times last year when the ez lock saved my rear. Much appreciated !

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How often do these go bad? I might just get a second set to keep on the boat, just in case.
I rebuilt the cleanout plugs when I bought my boat 5 summers ago. Removing the plugs between uses with the exception of a couple of weeks a year in salt water they are still in good condition.

If the plugs are difficult to install they need to be rebuilt.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
One thing that some people do not understand is you place the ez lock on the plug with the t handle in the up position before you install the plug, then after you install it and set the T handle in the down position the ez lock closes and locks the dogs, some people were trying to install the ez lock with the plug in place first and the lock never set.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine were just rebuilt last year and close much easier than originally did. They set all the way down easy, but I have to push the on T really hard to get it to lock.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One thing that some people do not understand is you place the ez lock on the plug with the t handle in the up position before you install the plug, then after you install it and set the T handle in the down position the ez lock closes and locks the dogs, some people were trying to install the ez lock with the plug in place first and the lock never set.
I did something even more stupid! - in post #24:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/page-2

--

giroux68

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tried out my rebuilt plugs the other day. What a difference. I fought with those stupid things for a season not knowing how easy they should go in and out. I wouldn't call it a mod, but what an improvement.

Last edited:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just ordered the rebuild kit.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I just ordered the rebuild kit.
Won't regret it. I put it off too long as well. Makes a huge difference. I also took some time to clean all the metal parts up and then i am getting in the habit of silicone spraying a lot of stuff on occasion.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Mine are getting hard to remove and install. Hope to get smooth operation again.

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Wow Wow Wow what a difference. Mine were really bad,ask @Jebinok . The new ones just slide right in. Should have done this years ago. Anyone with an older boat should do this.

Tom Van Ness

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FOR-67609-09-00 - MANHOLE COVER REPAIR SET
Thanks to everyone who posted on this topic. I took all of the various bits of advice and finally removed plugs that had been corroded into place about 6 years ago. I even used the advice about using old sun screen as a lubricant. Sun screen is just like the "never seize" I use when assembling industrial equipment. Now I've got the rebuild kits on order and look forward to my boat being as good as new.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine were just rebuilt last year and close much easier than originally did. They set all the way down easy, but I have to push the on T really hard to get it to lock.
Maybe the slots that the dogs go into need to cleaned out
We had a member that had a goop of silicone causing the dog not to latch

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just make sure you have locks for those plugs to prevent them from blowing out during use

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length