• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilding Yamaha Jet Boat Clean Out Plugs

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just ordered on Amazon.
Perfect winter project.
I wonder if anyone would want to change to the screw in types? I had no issues with mine on the Exciter, and I assume they would be the same size. Just a thought.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here is the link to our catalog and the part in our store. We keep these in stock here and sell tons of them yearly. You know as a result of this board Yamaha came out with this part! You guys do impact some of their decision making!

Link to Manhole Cover Repair Kit at JetBoatPilot: https://jetboatpilot.com/index.php?id_product=76&controller=product

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We will never be the cheapest guys in town but we will always be the best service in town! Thank you for the heads up though.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With that...I do agree!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is there any merit to having a complete plug as a spare on hand? has the latching mechanism or top end ever failed on one of these, perhaps in a blowout situation or something ?

Last edited:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It certainly would be nice to having a complete plug as a spare but I am not certain that it is worth the $300 to do so.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Probably not necessary, there are 2 main issues people have with the clean out plugs, unexpected blowouts and difficulty in seating or removing the plug. A good cleaning after each use can significantly reduce those issues especially cleaning UNDER THE RUBBER GASKET that surrounds the plug. Plus NOT leaving the plug in the unlocked position when the plug is not in use. Even if the internal lock was totally inoperative preventing it from seating and staying in place if you have the EZ locks on your plugs those will keep the plug in place and they were designed to prevent a blow out in the first place.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
. Plus NOT leaving the plug in the unlocked position when the plug is not in use.
I have, use and love the EZ Locks. I remove my plugs after every use and/or if there is any duration of time it may be sitting. but I simply remove them, silicone the plugs and tube, and lay them on their side in the tray..........whats the thinking behind leaving them in the locked position when not in use please ? spring tension/life?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Spring tension is one consideration , the spring that pushes the tray forward is very small, keeping it compressed while the plug is not in use isn't a good idea, but the other reason is explained on my E Z lock video , the tray is held back when the T handle is up the tray it rides in a tight track, if water evaporates and leaves deposits behind to build up in the track they can prevent the tray from moving ALL the way forward without you being aware of it and this can contribute to the pin releasing, however with the EZ locks it still can't release. I show you this in the video.

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this a one time fix, or every few years? I have one plug that's bad and used steel wool to clean it most of last season, but it was a pain. Plus it didn't last very long.

Thx.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this a one time fix, or every few years? I have one plug that's bad and used steel wool to clean it most of last season, but it was a pain. Plus it didn't last very long.

Thx.
If you rebuild your plugs then remove them between outings it should be a long term fix.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Thx.
Agree with @Bruce this was a fantastic fix. I leave mine out under neath my cover so when I pull the cover I always remember to put them in. You will be shocked how easy they are to use once you have used the rebuild kit. I swear a 5 year old kid could do it now its a big difference.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I simply remove them, silicone the plugs and tube, and lay them on their side in the tray..........whats the thinking behind leaving them in the locked position when not in use please
I do the same as @justason , pull them out and leave them on the side after each use. I find that if I leave them in or when I am in the water for several days or a week, sediment or algae/bacteria will start to grow in there and that will basically lock them in there on its own. Then they are very difficult to remove even after a few days. I would never leave them in full time.

Because I remove them after every use, they slide in real easy, lock down real easy, etc. I have never had an issue with a blow out, etc and have not done a rebuild yet either. knock on wood...

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Most I've left them in is over a weekend (2 nights). EZ Locks the way to go!! Highly recommend. If you install them properly, and re-set them in the holes with the plug unlocked after you remove the plugs...when you install and lock down the handle they snap in place. Pretty foolproof. I rebuilt 5 years ago and plugs are still like new. Easy in and easy out. Never an issue.

4link

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
does this repair fix the issue with the plugs blowing out or just installing and removing issues?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
does this repair fix the issue with the plugs blowing out or just installing and removing issues?
It more about ease of install and removal but it can help with blow outs as they will seat correctly easier so you should get a good lock each time. There are several locking systems out there that can assist more with blow out issues such as ez lock and I think the other is called trulock.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Haven't these rebuild kits been available for a couple years?

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I first spotted them December 2011 and posted the link for them on the "other" site.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41281&hilit=+repair+kit

The part # is FOR-67609-09-00 - MANHOLE COVER REPAIR SET

I found it on the parts schematics for the 2012 boats!

I paid $33.81 per set and it comes with the lower half of the plug and a fresh gasket!

I ordered them about a week and a half ago but I wanted to make sure I had them in hand and it was really true before I posted the info.
Got 'em from Extreme Power Sports in Flemington, NJ.

I think this is gonna make alot of Yamaha owners happy!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!