• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilding Yamaha Jet Boat Clean Out Plugs

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Maybe the slots that the dogs go into need to cleaned out
We had a member that had a goop of silicone causing the dog not to latch
I had that for sure! Rebuilt still had struggles.
Cleaned out my phone of pictures so gotta find it

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Our plugs which were rebuild five years ago were getting a little difficult to operate. It was not the lower half swelling but additional pressure required to operate the locking mechanism. I washed them externally in the sink a few times until free of debris and opened them up and sprayed lubricant (fluid film) on the internal moving parts. They function with very little effort again.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
A plug for the ez-locks.... I had a hard time getting the EZ locks out yesterday...The plug had released for unknown reason, I had to push the plug back in, and then the ez lock came out... Saved from a blow out, AGAIN!.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed. I put them on shortly after buying my boat (actually after using a floor jack to get them out) and suspect without them, I would have had one blow out. Also had to actually use them for the first time ever this weekend after we got into some water chestnut. Bad stuff.

Rome41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I was searching for over 6 hours but low and behold they are still available. Price is a little steep but that’s price and demand for you.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was searching for over 6 hours but low and behold they are still available. Price is a little steep but that’s price and demand for you.
It is less than buying a complete locking dogs plug from Yamaha.

Roof Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Marybethb

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I had never experienced new plugs so I had no idea how bad mine were.

I ordered two part # FOR-67609-09-00 - MANHOLE COVER REPAIR SET kits.

It took less then ten minutes to install the new lower parts. After doing so I found that my plugs would simply drop into place then press down to lock. There was almost no force required to pull them after unlocking. My five year old could install and pull the plugs.

Before the rebuild I had to lean on the plugs to seat them and pull hard to pull them. One had stuck in place at the end of last year. I had parked the boat under my deck so I used a small ratchet strap from the bottom of the deck to the plug and it came out easily.

#StuckPlugs
Hi there Im looking to lock mine back in place I unlocked it and wasn’t able to get it out but wit won’t lock back in. Do you have any tips on this?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi there Im looking to lock mine back in place I unlocked it and wasn’t able to get it out but wit won’t lock back in. Do you have any tips on this?
The best option would be to get them out, clean up the holes, replace the lower portions and then lock them in place.

When I bought my 230 the plugs needed the lower portions replaced but those were back ordered. I carried two pieces of 2x4 and a ratchet strap in clean out plug compartment. One piece of 2x4 was short enough to fit across the front to back length of the compartment while the other was two to three times that length.

I would place the short piece across the compartment placing one end of the longer piece on the short piece to spread the load. Then I would hook the strap around the plug handle with the plug unlocked. Finally I would tie the strap around the longer 2x4 and raise one end to use it as a lever to pull the plug.

After the first pull I cleaned up the holes and the plugs as much as possible.

When reinstalling I would place the short 2x4 vertically on the handle of the unlocked plug the tap the top end with the longer 2x4 until the plug locked in place.

Some have found ice helpful to remove stuck plugs. Pack ice above them and allow them to shrink as the cool.

Others have tied a rope or strap to the plug handle then used a 10’ board across the shoulders of people standing at each side of the boat who simply stand up to share the load of pulling the plug.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your plugs are probably full of sand etc try using some dish soap and warm water on top of the plugs , let it sit and then hose it off. take a stick , piece of wood or similar and place it on the edge of the plug tapping it down with a hammer but just go easy don't hit it hard while you work around the edge of the plug , then use the 2 by 4 and rope trick to pull the plug up if it does not come out try more soap and water and tapping around the edge a few times usually this will loosen it up inside so that you can remove it then soak it in warm water with soap to get the dirt out of it. the rebuild kit for the bottom half is usually a good thing to solve the problem and EZ locks are very inexpensive insurance against a plug blow out while operating the boat. Cobra EZ-Locks

kellio99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Can anyone help with this cleanup plug issue?

This little plastic tab (as shown in the photo) has broken, so my clean out plugs will not lock.

I tried to glue it back with jb Weld marine weld (as in screenshot). It did not hold at all.

Any suggestions? Maybe a different type of glue? I have not seen a rebuild kit for the top half of the cleanout plug, only the bottom half which is not what I need. I'm trying to avoid buying a whole new plug (which is several hundred bucks) for that one little tiny plastic tab.

Thoughts?

Thank you and happy new year!

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
your picture is not clear as to what you are having a problem with I can think of NOTHING that you should use JB weld on . here is a video I made years ago on how the inner workings of the plug operate also if you add EZ locks to the plugs properly you do not need the release button but you still need the locking tabs to work

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before giving up I would suggest seeing what could be accomplished with hardware, machine bolt or screw well placed might replace whatever the tab does?