• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing speakers & adding an amp

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just replaced the DBs with the JL MX650s. I have a Fusion head unit that power speakers at a respectable clip and the difference was very noticeable. The first thing I played was stuff from the Eagles Live and it was pretty impressive....it was like being there. When I powered with the JL Amp you essentially get that level of quality and clarity at max volume. Is it worth it? Is to some and not to others. Nothing wrong with that. Some people think we are crazy for spending money on a boat.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Careful. You have a wrong link. You need DB651s (6.5", with a 5" hole).

And yes, those are a direct replacement. However Yamaha uses child labor to mount OEM crap speakers so you will likely discover you have more than 4 holes drilled already. You will also discover that none is quite right, so you will drill again - not a biggie.

--
I gotta say. . . . (6) of these DB651s . . . . for the same price as a pair of (2) of these $199 a pair is quite compelling.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought 2 pair of Wet Sounds XS650 and they will be here Wednesday. Hooking up with no amp for now and I will let you know how they sound. Got the 2 sets shipped for $279. In the near future, I will be hooking up a set of rev 10 tower speakers and a htx-6 amp that way I can bridge the tower speakers and run the Main speakers in single mode.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where can I find these for $100 a pair?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where can I find these for $100 a pair?
More like $125 http://www.ebay.com/itm/152557663666 - just email them, they are very responsive, or use their coupons.
Basically, you can get 4 (2 pairs) shipped for $250.

If I have time I will find it closer to $100, I had already seen it pretty close.

Also @CraigAR posted in another thread here.

They will also bundle it with an amp etc.

--

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More like $125 http://www.ebay.com/itm/152557663666 - just email them, they are very responsive, or use their coupons.
Basically, you can get 4 (2 pairs) shipped for $250.

If I have time I will find it closer to $100, I had already seen it pretty close.

Also @CraigAR posted in another thread here.

They will also bundle it with an amp etc.

--
I've already bought rod holders and a port o head this week. These will have to wait but thanks for the link!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually - that is even better! The link I posted above is for the Wet Sounds XS 650 - which I think would be twice as good as JL MX650. The MX650 would compare to XS 65i, at about half the capacity. The WS XS 650 are in a tier with JL M650

A Wet Sounds XS650 for $60 a speaker - that's just crazy good.

--

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually - that is even better! The link I posted above is for the Wet Sounds XS 650 - which I think would be twice as good as JL MX650. The MX650 would compare to XS 65i, at about half the capacity. The WS XS 650 are in a tier with JL M650

A Wet Sounds XS650 for $60 a speaker - that's just crazy good.

--
After reading about how crazy good these are and that they are being liquidated for new models I couldn't resist. They have the offer set an Auto. $270 is the magic number!

upload_2017-6-16_13-57-40.png

bigblank69

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not anymore... Same seller bumped up to $370.. Missed it. Looks like I will finally have to install my Polk MM651's

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Installed the wet sounds xs 650 speakers. Like everyone has said, get an amp!! The factory head unit can not even come close to pushing these speakers to their potential (100 watts rms) they are probably getting like 19 watts rms per speaker. They sound a little better over factory without an amp. After the install I went right back into the house and ordered my amp, cutting board and all marine wiring. Just a heads up, marine wiring is expensive! Will be here Thursday and I will get it installed Friday and get back here with pictures and my final verdict.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, about 90% of everything I need for my amp install arrived today. The amp and fuse blocks will be in tomorrow. Here is a picture of just about everything you'll need to install an amp for those looking to do this upgrade.
20170628_154634.jpg
Can't forget the cutting board you mount the amp to;)
20170628_154734.jpg
Forgot to put the adhesive heat shrink in the picture. Also, my registration decals came in (tried to match the ar240 font) along with the boat name decal. I'll be installing the lettering tomorrow and running all wires and then installing the amp on Friday. I'll take pictures along the way for future reference to those looking to add an amp.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok, about 90% of everything I need for my amp install arrived today. The amp and fuse blocks will be in tomorrow. Here is a picture of just about everything you'll need to install an amp for those looking to do this upgrade.
View attachment 58529
Can't forget the cutting board you mount the amp to;)
View attachment 58530
Forgot to put the adhesive heat shrink in the picture. Also, my registration decals came in (tried to match the ar240 font) along with the boat name decal. I'll be installing the lettering tomorrow and running all wires and then installing the amp on Friday. I'll take pictures along the way for future reference to those looking to add an amp.
What AMP did you go with?

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jameskeller76 Rockford Fosgate M400-4D
Nice choice. Very similar output to my Polk, you'll enjoy the improved performance. But don't stop there. Add a sub, tower speakers, EQ and more amps :) !

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jameskeller76 I'm running all wires to a distribution block to make it simple when I'm ready to add another amp.

This will be a long post on running wires for an amp with pictures. So far I've ran power and ground cables and I'm taking a break to post progress and also because it's hot as hell out!
20170629_154332.png
I ran my power and ground wires along the steering cables and across the fuel tank because this was the shortest route from the storage area behind the helm to the batteries. Remove the 4 allen key bolts to remove the fuel tank cover. I used a fish tape from the fuel tank area back to the helm storage. Super easy to fish along the steering cables, so easy that I had to stop fishing to see where the tape was and when I looked in the storage area, sure enough I went right past the storage into the back side of the bow speaker :)
20170629_123706.jpg
Here's a shot of the steering cables. Start fishing from here.
20170629_123730.jpg
I ran both the power and ground at the same time. When taping everything, start wrapping the fish wire first so you don't pull it off the cables.
20170629_124138.jpg
20170629_124247.jpg
Pull the fish wire from the fuel tank area.
20170629_124736.jpg
From this point, you do not need the fish tape anymore. Run the wires to the engine bay in this corner.
20170629_163011.jpg
You will go into the engine bay and then run the wires to the battery compartment. They will come out over your battery switches. Here's a shot from the engine bay looking back towards the front of the boat.
20170629_163912.jpg
20170629_132815.jpg
Don't forget to add wire loom and zip tie.
20170629_135532.jpg
Install a fuse holder 18" from battery connect.20170629_132541.jpg
That's as far as I got today along with adding my custom registration numbers and boat name. I will finish up tomorrow with running new speaker wires and hooking up the amp.

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jameskeller76 I'm running all wires to a distribution block to make it simple when I'm ready to add another amp.

This will be a long post on running wires for an amp with pictures. So far I've ran power and ground cables and I'm taking a break to post progress and also because it's hot as hell out!
View attachment 58563
I ran my power and ground wires along the steering cables and across the fuel tank because this was the shortest route from the storage area behind the helm to the batteries. Remove the 4 allen key bolts to remove the fuel tank cover. I used a fish tape from the fuel tank area back to the helm storage. Super easy to fish along the steering cables, so easy that I had to stop fishing to see where the tape was and when I looked in the storage area, sure enough I went right past the storage into the back side of the bow speaker :)
View attachment 58564
Here's a shot of the steering cables. Start fishing from here.
View attachment 58565
I ran both the power and ground at the same time. When taping everything, start wrapping the fish wire first so you don't pull it off the cables.
View attachment 58566
View attachment 58568
Pull the fish wire from the fuel tank area.
View attachment 58567
From this point, you do not need the fish tape anymore. Run the wires to the engine bay in this corner.
View attachment 58570
You will go into the engine bay and then run the wires to the battery compartment. They will come out over your battery switches. Here's a shot from the engine bay looking back towards the front of the boat.
View attachment 58572
View attachment 58573
Don't forget to add wire loom and zip tie.
View attachment 58574
Install a fuse holder 18" from battery connect.View attachment 58575
That's as far as I got today along with adding my custom registration numbers and boat name. I will finish up tomorrow with running new speaker wires and hooking up the amp.
I did my install on a very hot day too. It gets very hot inside the helm compartment. Be sure to put your bimini up, the shade helps a ton. Nice work so far!

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amp is in and mess is cleaned up. I'll tell you that your back is going to be sore after adding an amp in the storage area behind the helm. I have all kinds of scratches all over my back and they're not the good kind :D. My 4 WS XS 650's sound great being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate M400-4D. Rockford has a birth sheet kinda like a car dyno, mine came in at 547 rms. So I will take it easy for a little while but I will be adding another amp and 2 more speakers in the boat and possibly some tower speakers.
20170630_135408.jpg 20170630_135353.jpg 20170623_165122.jpg 20170623_163333.jpg

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks great! Just got my WS420 EQ and XS650 in today too.