• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing speakers & adding an amp

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Guys - keep this thread going!

I'm installing a similar system in the next few weeks:

3 pairs XS-650
REV8 Towers
XS-10FA Sub
WS-420BT EQ & PA w/ underdash kit
qty.2 HTX-6

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys - keep this thread going!

I'm installing a similar system in the next few weeks:

3 pairs XS-650
REV8 Towers
XS-10FA Sub
WS-420BT EQ & PA w/ underdash kit
qty.2 HTX-6
Take a ton of pictures. I'm researching now what else I'm going to put in. So far just the 4 xs 650's and the amp. My dilemma is budget. I want more sound in the boat ( adding 2 more speakers ) and I want more sound outside the boat (towers or rear swim deck). Going the tower route is most likely out of budget at this time seeing how i will be adding seadek. It gets expensive, I'm already using wet sounds so want to keep it that way. Thinking my best option will be getting 4 more wet sounds speakers and an amp.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amp is in and mess is cleaned up. I'll tell you that your back is going to be sore after adding an amp in the storage area behind the helm. I have all kinds of scratches all over my back and they're not the good kind :D. My 4 WS XS 650's sound great being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate M400-4D. Rockford has a birth sheet kinda like a car dyno, mine came in at 547 rms. So I will take it easy for a little while but I will be adding another amp and 2 more speakers in the boat and possibly some tower speakers.
View attachment 58630 View attachment 58631 View attachment 58632 View attachment 58633

I'm really digging how you added that mount for the amps behind the helm. I might bite your style on this one this winter. I need to get amps off the ground but scared to drill on the side of the boat. Don't want screws popping out.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm really digging how you added that mount for the amps behind the helm. I might bite your style on this one this winter. I need to get amps off the ground but scared to drill on the side of the boat. Don't want screws popping out.
If you mount the amp where I did, you won't have to worry about drilling "into" the boat. If you zoom in on my picture you can see that there's a lip going all the way around that opening.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20170812_183557.jpg
As you can see the amp is behind the steering wheel so the screws are in dead space. I'll be adding another pair of xs-650's along with the wet sounds htx-6 amp and a set of WS icon 8's in a couple weeks.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 62735
As you can see the amp is behind the steering wheel so the screws are in dead space. I'll be adding another pair of xs-650's along with the wet sounds htx-6 amp and a set of WS icon 8's in a couple weeks.
Very impressive. The only problem I will have is, I am running 4 amps currently and about to get an another one this winter. I just don't think I can fit all those JL amps on behind that helm like that.

Jaylex

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im thinking about the same dilemma, its clean to mount the amps next to the helm as you show, but with more than 2 amps it gets tight to mount them all there. I have 2 amps and will be expanding to 3, so will likely end up mounting them inside the helm, on the other side. Can take off the cushion and use bolts to mount an amp rack, once the seat-back cushion is on you cant see them but the rack can still be removed depending on the hardware and connections.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the tower speakers up, pulled the amp board and added the new wet sounds htx-6 with the big block combo on the back of the board. Now just need the rain to stop so i can put it back. The last order of business is to cut in the last pair of xs650 (totaling 6).
20170824_182704.jpg
20170826_182531.jpg
20170826_182602.jpg
20170826_182552.jpg
20170826_182615.jpg
20170827_170500.jpg
20170827_170442.jpg
20170827_170408.jpg

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Helm speakers are in. A total of 6 in boat wet sounds xs-650's being pushed by a wet sounds htx-6 and a pair of wet sounds icon 8's being pushed by a Rockford fosgate m400-4. 20170831_135601.jpg
20170831_140104.jpg
20170831_140206.jpg
20170831_140448.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Helm speakers are in. A total of 6 in boat wet sounds xs-650's being pushed by a wet sounds htx-6 and a pair of wet sounds icon 8's being pushed by a Rockford fosgate m400-4. View attachment 63533
View attachment 63534
View attachment 63535
View attachment 63536
I guessing you put the helm speaker in the same spot how do you like the way the sound there? I'm trying to decide if I want to add to 8 inch speakers there or try and get 2 6.5 inch speakers above the cup holders. Was there any cables and wires to watch out for on the helm side in that location?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guessing you put the helm speaker in the same spot how do you like the way the sound there? I'm trying to decide if I want to add to 8 inch speakers there or try and get 2 6.5 inch speakers above the cup holders. Was there any cables and wires to watch out for on the helm side in that location?
20170831_135608.jpg
I did not have any wires in the way at the locations that i cut in. The one you see in the pic is my tower wire. I did see multiple post where people were mounting the speakers up higher but decided to keep them low due to the fact that they would sound deeper. With the 4 factory locations, i could hear a big difference in speaker sound when walking from the back of the boat to the front. The fronts did not sound as full and i knew that was because there was a lot more free air space up there. The outcome of the 6 wet sounds speakers paired with the icon 8's blew me away after getting a feel for their sound with changing the frequencies. All set to 65hz. I most likely will not add a sub but tomorrow will be the first day on the water since its been installed to test it out. I must add that this is not my first system. Ive built many systems for every vehicle that ive owned and i love my bass.
**Edit** there were throttle cables on the helm side but mine were back against the outter hull wall

myblueheaven305

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I upgraded my 2016 stock speakers to Polk and the improvement is minimal until I added an amp.
These the 16' 24 foot boats do not have amps already installed? Forgive my ignorance..

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No they do not. Only the 242x I believe.

Lion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 63538
I did not have any wires in the way at the locations that i cut in. The one you see in the pic is my tower wire. I did see multiple post where people were mounting the speakers up higher but decided to keep them low due to the fact that they would sound deeper. With the 4 factory locations, i could hear a big difference in speaker sound when walking from the back of the boat to the front. The fronts did not sound as full and i knew that was because there was a lot more free air space up there. The outcome of the 6 wet sounds speakers paired with the icon 8's blew me away after getting a feel for their sound with changing the frequencies. All set to 65hz. I most likely will not add a sub but tomorrow will be the first day on the water since its been installed to test it out. I must add that this is not my first system. Ive built many systems for every vehicle that ive owned and i love my bass.
**Edit** there were throttle cables on the helm side but mine were back against the outter hull wall

Keep us updated on how it turned out on the water. By the looks of it, I think it will
Sound awesome. I too like the deep bass sound so keep us updated if you feel you will need it.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 63538
If you would let me. I would like to recommend a different crossover for your interior speakers. I didn't pay attention to how many watts you have pushing to each speaker but ideally you usually do not want to set your highs crossover less than 100. 90 can be acceptable as that's where most set their subs. 65hz is low midbass to bass. Over time that could distort and blow your speakers as they are not made to take high wattage at that frequency level. If you don't have a sub in the boat, I can see why you would set it there tho. But Typical you want your subs picking up all the frequencies around the 100-90 or lower range. My subs are set at 80hz to give you an idea. Just a thought.

FloJet

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got the tower speakers up, pulled the amp board and added the new wet sounds htx-6 with the big block combo on the back of the board. Now just need the rain to stop so i can put it back. The last order of business is to cut in the last pair of xs650 (totaling 6).
View attachment 63210
View attachment 63211
View attachment 63212
View attachment 63213
View attachment 63214
View attachment 63215
View attachment 63216
View attachment 63217
Where did you get those trailer guides? I really like the looks of those. lol

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you would let me. I would like to recommend a different crossover for your interior speakers. I didn't pay attention to how many watts you have pushing to each speaker but ideally you usually do not want to set your highs crossover less than 100. 90 can be acceptable as that's where most set their subs. 65hz is low midbass to bass. Over time that could distort and blow your speakers as they are not made to take high wattage at that frequency level. If you don't have a sub in the boat, I can see why you would set it there tho. But Typical you want your subs picking up all the frequencies around the 100-90 or lower range. My subs are set at 80hz to give you an idea. Just a thought.
Thanks for the input. These wet sounds xs650 are rated down to 40 Hz so there's no worry distorting them and blowing running at 65-70hz. If i was running less than a 6.5 mid i would turn it up to about 90hz. They also have an audiophile crossover between the titanium tweeter and mid cone. The magnets on these are huge. Now if i was to put a total package of speakers together, seperate highs mids and a sub, i would crank up the highs to max frequency run the mids at 80hz and my sub at 80hz. This is depending on the speaker that is picked and the material it is made of. I am running (6) WS 6.5 speakers with a set of WS icon 8's with matched rms handling from the amps and no sub. If this setup is tuned to a higher frequency, they sound really bright. Right now the system is "full" and sounds great. now if i add a sub down the road I will most likely adjust the mids.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@CraigAR how was the sound on the water was it now easily heard in the drivers seat underway?