• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Safety equipment for a Bimini crossing

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Spots use the Global Star constellation Garmin uses the Iridium network. In the area you are going they both work well, but Global Star is limited in some areas, Iridium is worldwide and they are adding more satellites. There is always an Iridium satellite overhead anywhere in the world. The issue is the azimuth but on the water it shouldn't matter.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you very much for the offer @Betik - however I am at work and will not be home till after you guys get back from your Bimini trip.

My family is planning on a solo trip (unless I can get someone to go with us) from July 22 - 26.
I was looking at the INreach for a GPS following/backup and messaging but then found the SPOT (with the rebate) and was looking for any input on them. @Coheeba I appreciate the sat info - very useful.

I like the INreach but the money saving equals to a LOT of rum --- and the SPOT still allows me to be followed and contact loved ones.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bennie, sorry for the delay in responding. A nice feature of the inReach is that it can work with your cell phone, which makes for a much easier messaging interface, if you want to use it for messaging. Another benefit of the GPS mapping capability is that it makes a good back-up if your main GPS chartplotter dies.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You literly on i10 right ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You literly on i10 right ?
Not sure what you were asking but I do live just south of I-10.

And, YES, I littered on I-10. So if anyone sees a bimini pole in Florida around mile marker 83.... It's mine. :eggonface: Lol

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL I am a dyslexic Greek guy who is trying to cope with autospell while using his cellphone. Trust me when I say it makes the Bimini crossing llol like a cakewalk.

In terms of I-10 though, since you are going after our trip ends, we could meet on the way back to texas, so you use my inreach for your solo trip. Between one extra month of subscription and fedexing it to Texas it should be less than $100. I bet you cannot get the spot cheaper than that, can you ?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The big issue with SPOT is or at least was that you have to sign up for a year of service which makes inReach a better deal for us.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce @MrMoose - how do you like the service on your inreach? The negative reviews that I see are primarily for the service provided problems with customer service and contracts; rather than any problems with the product its self.

That being said. Are you two using the
Delorme explorer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6EY01C/ref=twister_B00WA2ZS6W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

or the new Garmin Inreach+
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01735-10-Inreach-Explorer/dp/B01MY03CZP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499348974&sr=8-3&keywords=inreach

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
thank you very much for the offer @Betik

I will PM you later.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The big issue with SPOT is or at least was that you have to sign up for a year of service which makes inReach a better deal for us.
That is true @Bruce. That being said when you purchase that year of service ($199) you get a rebate for half the original SPOT purchse ($75 rebate check).

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are welcome.
I think Bruce and MrMouse have the Delorme one as the Garmin one just come out this march.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Bruce @MrMoose - how do you like the service on your inreach? The negative reviews that I see are primarily for the service provided problems with customer service and contracts; rather than any problems with the product its self.

That being said. Are you two using the
Delorme explorer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6EY01C/ref=twister_B00WA2ZS6W?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

or the new Garmin Inreach+
https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01735-10-Inreach-Explorer/dp/B01MY03CZP/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1499348974&sr=8-3&keywords=inreach
I have the inReach Explorer (purchased in 2016 before Garmin bought Delorme)
No complaints, but haven't used it other than to send Bruce a message during last year's crossing to tell him that our group got held-up due to issues with one of the boats/captains in our group.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The math has spoken. (pending 1 month per year use, as projected)

Delorme it is!

Attachments