• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Safety equipment for a Bimini crossing

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok so we talk a lot about our mods and I've heard about some of the extras that you guys get for the Bimini crossing. (ie: tabs)

Question is what safety (SHTF) equipment do you have/ suggest for the crossing? (Besides the already USCG required items)

I've already purchased a handheld VHF radio, inflatable life jackets for the family, and an ACR ResQLink (epirb). What else do you suggest?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In addition to the ACR, you might want to consider getting a Delorme InReach for assistance in non-life-threatening situations where you are out of vhf range. For example, if you just need a tow.
It's good that you have an ACR for the "Holy Sh!T" moments where you are limited to only being able to deploying an antenna and pushing the power button.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce - Is it you that carries the inflatable liferaft aboard when you cross?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce - Is it you that carries the inflatable liferaft aboard when you cross?
Not me, our boats do not sink. They can swamp and flood the engines but they still float.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bennie
I got 2 of each. Life jackets , vhf, communication, navigation. I am operating the primaries and the crew is operating the back up from the port side.

I am also eating lot of onions the night before as in hear sharks really don't like the smell of it. :eek:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks @Betik - I think a second VHF wouldn't hurt. Perhaps one with GPS like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Horizon-HX870-Floating-Handheld/dp/B00PM6XDNS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497530160&sr=8-1&keywords=vhf+with+gps

@Bruce - Is there any specific Delorme model that you suggest? I see that I can buy coverage only as needed - I like that option.
My original thought process was that if we needed a tow = we needed to be rescued, hence the EPIRB. But a backup and tracking device isnt bad for that price range.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any ideas on the best way to get Seatow coverage? (like I know joining Westmarine's buyers "club" includes BoatUS membership which includes basic sea tow). BoatUS membership? Do normal insurance companies provide this?

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvantage/loyalty

http://www.boatus.com/towing/gettowing/services.asp
My wife and I are actually shopping now for insurance coverage to go to Bimini. SeaTow offers insurance if you are a SeaTow member - and so far they are the cheapest with the best coverage.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bennie, any of the inReach models would be sufficient. They all do the same thing communication wise. The less expensive model uses a phone for mapping display the more expensive model has a little more built in mapping capability.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A bigger boat ;)

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wife and I are actually shopping now for insurance coverage to go to Bimini. SeaTow offers insurance if you are a SeaTow member - and so far they are the cheapest with the best coverage.
My State Farm policy cover the Bahamas....I just need a towing policy.....

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My State Farm policy cover the Bahamas....I just need a towing policy.....
My Allstate policy covers 100 miles offshore including Bimini but I hope not to need a tow policy.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does anyone have any experience with SPOT GEN3 Satellite GPS Messenger?

I already have an EPIRB and am looking for a tracker/messenger for the crossing. A Delorme INreach is $400 - $450 and the only extra benefits I see is a GPS map and customizable text messaging.
This still lets me communicate with the beach and let's family track our progress. Additionally it's only $149 plus a 50% rebate if purchased before Sept 4th, 2017.

Thoughts?
@Bruce @Betik @MrMoose

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Delorme was bought by Garmin and they have a newer model of the INReach explorer. I have been looking at them for hunting. This is the new Garmin model http://a.co/5kUeHf1 You can get the older (pretty much the same) Delorme model for about $100 cheaper. Be aware of the required subscription, activation and other cost to utilize.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the inreach explorer. No idea on the spot.

I think tbe EPIRB is the best safety equipment out there for emergency. In terms of tracking your family could track one of the groups explorers without you havig to pay for one. If your situation I think you are only buying for the messaging.
If you need to text back home while in bimini you are than welcome to use mine. We got the until limited plan