• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sandbars and tying off

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So my lake has a sandbar where people congregate. I havent been anchoring there due to paranoia and generally not being sure how to handle it. Hoping for some insight.

Most of the boats there are pontoons, with their rails providing both a place to tie boats together and convenient mounting for bumpers. How do you guys dock with a pontoon to minimize risk of damage?

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I anchor away from people. Or ask them not to tie up to me. I would rather not risk it. However, if I have to, remember the 3 keys to a tie up... FENDERS FENDERS FENDERS!!! I put out every damn fender I have and make them do the same and pull that shit tight. Find a boat similar to your size and tie off with them. But that's just my obsessive disorder.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I learned the hard way on Lake Michigan to not tie up to anyone that isn't family. You feel bad when someone's rope breaks due to 5' waves and someone's boat gets scratched.
*edit*
Not my rope, looked old old old and sorry the boat that got scratched was newer - not my situation but I was tied off to the raft.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I won't tie off to people I don't know. Complete strangers are a no-no as you can never tell what level of "give a crap" they have about thier boat. If they are friends, family, or friends of friends, or otherwise known entities, they're welcome to tie up. Part of the joy of boating for us is the social aspect, so we're usually pretty relaxed about that kind of thing.

Keep in mind, the below advice is from years of experience on relatively CALM inland lakes, and typically only within "no wake zones". We might get the random wake making it's way into the cove to us, but for the most part people moving around on the boats will create more movement than waves/wind/weather.

When rafting up one person becomes the "anchor" for the rest, and we start from there. We use the swim platforms as the "baseline" to adjust for length variations between boats. Prep ahead of time with all fenders out and lines ready. 2 fenders per boat per side. I carry 4, 2 for each side, and most others do as well. I also carry 4 dock lines for the same reason. As you motor in, go SLOW and make sure anyone in the water is aware of what is happening and floats away for a minute while you get in an settled. Tieing off to another "regular" hull is no big deal, just make sure the bumpers are at the right height to avoid boat-to-boat contact. Tieing off to a pontoon is a little more difficult, but again, just adjust the bumpers heigh from tie off to avoid boat-to-boat contact. Once tied up, then toss the anchor out, typically off the bow to help hold the group in place. DO NOT make the bumpers as tight as possible. If a wave/wake does come through then you are liable to have the boats off phase from each other and the back/forth can lead to contact that is unwanted. You want to have a little slack in there to allow for movement if the waves/wakes come through.

This is the exception, more than the rule for us, but it happens many times a year. I think there were about 15-20 boats in this raft up. Kids running everywhere, everyone having a good time. Sure I think I've gotten a scratch or two along the way. I think I dented my buddys pontoon rail once when departing. They're boats, not collectors items. We're there for the experiences, not to preserve an investment, and that attitude will get you many more good times and reduced stress levels than you might imagine.

20170529_154949.jpg

Attachments

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Interesting thoughts in this thread. Seems like most people on my lake are very open to tying up with people they don’t know. Most of the time when trying to anchor alone a group near by will shout out to just tie up with them. Met a lot of cool people this way. I see no harm as long as you use good fenders and rope. Don’t use the shitty Yamaha ones!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can have good fenders and you'll eventually get wear at some point. I use no less than 3 large fenders and sometimes even a large ball between us and I would still risk hitting if a massive wave or rollers come by. Don't get me wrong I truly loved the aspect of tying up with other boats for years and it's great for conversations but at the end of the day I gotta take my boat home and hopefully in the same shape I launched her with. From now on I think I'll just anchor off 20' away and not worry with it while sipping on beers with peace of mind :cool:. Anytime a big wake boat or idiot hauling ass and doing circles pulling tubes would come by the cove or slough everyone instantly heads to their boats and prepare to keep them further off or hitting. If they don't head to them you still see the anxiety in their faces as the waves come rolling in. Just not worth it to me anymore. Get one good whack on your boat and I'm sure you'll change your mind lol.

Last edited:

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Get a Mantis anchor. I go out to the sandbar in the Gulf almost every weekend in the summer the waves out they are depending on the tide and the wind get pretty bad and I've never had my anger break loose. I use a 12 pound in the front and a 8 in the rear

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you guys dock with a pontoon to minimize risk of damage?
I don't. Absolutely never. There's usually 3-5 boats with us and we all anchor 20+ feet apart so we don't touch. We feel it's not worth the risk

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots of folks worried about damage here. Lots of good examples of damage being done. I've done damage to others with my boat and I've been damaged by others.

For us......it's just a boat. Sure it's a brand new $30k piece of equipment, but a scratch or scuff here or there isn't going to sink us, or devalue the boat enough to be worried or anxious about it.

I think the "It's just a boat" mentality really permeates our close group of boating friends as well. Hell, in that picture I posted above the 2nd boat out with the blue accents in the tower was a 2 month old $120k wake boat.

With that said, I've never had major damage. Any damage I've received from decades of tying off to others has been extremely minor. Scratches and scuffs at the most. I've had more issues with people spilling drinks on board (one lady that was a friend of a friend dropped a Tervis full of red wine in our last boat) than I have from tying off to others.

A secondary thought is that we never tie up where large wakes and waves are present, or even really likely for that matter. It's almost always in a no wake zone, and usually several hundred yards into those no wake zones. Getting large rollers or wakes getting all the way to us is a rarity. I would say maybe once or twice every 5 outings. Even if people are tubing out at the edge of the no wake zone we usually don't get much of an effect.

Ultimatel, everyone has a different comfort level and I can appreciate that. For us, I just can't imagine NOT tying up with others. It's such an integral part of our enjoyment of the boat.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
^^ I used to be that way as well and was totally fine with the minor scuffs that can likely buffed out or pin stripes that will need to be replaced. I have those and they didn't bother me after you get over the first one lol. It wasn't until taking a real hard whack/beating that it caused me to second guess if it was worth it or not. Our hulls aren't super thick but they are relatively strong. Had my tower not taken the brunt of the blow I have no doubts the damage would have been pretty severe and likely a hole in the side of my boat, the impact was that hard and violent!!

That being said I've had more damage from poorly maintained docks than from tying up with other boats. In fact after removing my chewed up registration numbers that I realized I'll need to do more minor glass repairs than I originally thought. If this were a more expensive boat I'd be far more sad, especially if it had some really nice metallic gel colors. Looks like I'll be doing some spectrum repairs once it warms up.

image.jpeg

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some of you guys must be tying up in some rough waters! The coves I usually anchor in never have any wake whatsoever. Big coves where everyone idles in.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Some of you guys must be tying up in some rough waters! The coves I usually anchor in never have any wake whatsoever. Big coves where everyone idles in.
For me it wasn't necessarily the waters I was in but rather the inconsiderate idiots that I seem to run across on the waters. It can be in shallow waters, protected coves way off the main channel, deep water in hundreds of feet where waves can get much larger, you name it but every time no mater the place it was always caused by some idiot that just simply doesn't give a damn if he's making waves (or enemies) where he shouldn't on the water. When I see boats tied up I always slow down, go far away if possible, basically everything I can to make it smooth for them but unfortunately not everyone rides with that mindset.

In this video you can see lots of Yamaha and my boat tied up to @DBamaC using his bouncy ball + fenders. This works great for 90% of the time. It's the other 10% when I encounter some idiot either coming by too close to where we are tied up or if my boat is alone and tied to a dock and some moron comes by just outside of no wake zone but still disrupts the water close enough that every boat gets going which of course makes their own share of waves to deal with, especially if I’m next to large boats.

Last edited:

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
@haknslash

Great video!!!

I may have missed it, but do you have a good pic of the “bouncy ball” set up?

TY!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@haknslash

Great video!!!

I may have missed it, but do you have a good pic of the “bouncy ball” set up?

TY!
Glad you enjoyed it :)

Here's the kids toy bouncy ball he uses. It works great and much cheaper than "marine specific" balls.

image.jpeg

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Glad you enjoyed it :)

Here's the kids toy bouncy ball he uses. It works great and much cheaper than "marine specific" balls.

View attachment 86050
TY!!!

I never considered one of the “bouncy balls”..... And was drawing a blank on what you were referring to... Just kept picturing the large playground balls....

Guess it’s time to go shopping since we don’t have any snow for snowmobiling!!! :(

Need A Vacation

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length