• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 open

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wonder if they made this one self draining over board I know the 255's last year still only drained into the bilge. If the 255's would have drained overboard I would have Likley bought one last year as I was getting big pressure from my crew to buy one as they loved them. My out was that it wasn't self draining.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I wonder if they made this one self draining over board I know the 255's last year still only drained into the bilge. If the 255's would have drained overboard I would have Likley bought one last year as I was getting big pressure from my crew to buy one as they loved them. My out was that it wasn't self draining.
I can see that being a big issue for bigger waters. Anyone at a boat show soon hopefully can investigate

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can see that being a big issue for bigger waters. Anyone at a boat show soon hopefully can investigate
Very good point. Was not aware of this. That (if it is not a self-bailing cockpit) would be a non-starter for me. Certainly would make anything like a Bimini run much more risky. Looking forward to clarification on this.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Very good point. Was not aware of this. That (if it is not a self-bailing cockpit) would be a non-starter for me. Certainly would make anything like a Bimini run much more risky. Looking forward to clarification on this.
Especially because this really should be a bimini run machine! Apparently the cc helps in that you can stand and take thw waves in the legs. Also, longer boat (i have a 21) which always helps, however! The tank of gas i hope is larger because i bet those supercharged motors suck some real gas!

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And there is a surprise next year for this beast! Your move Yamaha!!
A surprise? For the hull size or the open model specifically?

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Especially because this really should be a bimini run machine! Apparently the cc helps in that you can stand and take thw waves in the legs. Also, longer boat (i have a 21) which always helps, however! The tank of gas i hope is larger because i bet those supercharged motors suck some real gas!
The supercharged motors are not really that bad at all. I have the twin 200hp version. If you take a look at boattest.com, I think you'll find them to be pretty even.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, my 430hp seadoo wasn't bad at all once you quit playing with it all the time at wot. This thing has a 55 gallon tank and a not confirmed that I've seen best cruise mileage of 3.4 in the 300hp version. Looks like if you want to get it without the t-top, you're limited to the "G" series which only has the 300hp option. I really want the 400, but I don't want the T-top, so I'll reserve judgement until I see this thing in person and possibly how easily the top folds.

Ismael Breton

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, I think Yamaha may make a better quality boat, but the Scarabs sure as hell ALWAYS look so much better!!

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
More amateur pics-

IMG_2439.JPG IMG_2440.JPG IMG_2441.JPG IMG_2442.JPG IMG_2448.JPG IMG_2452.JPG IMG_2456.JPG IMG_2457.JPG IMG_2460.JPG

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The supercharged motors are not really that bad at all. I have the twin 200hp version. If you take a look at boattest.com, I think you'll find them to be pretty even.
Taking a look at the boattest.com stats of a 255 impulse wake with twin 250hp and an AR240 and a 240 Limited S:
255vs240.png
So what I don't understand is why it would have LESS consumption per hour, but get 1/2 a mile less per gallon while cruising?
Like, it gets better but worse gas consumption?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Taking a look at the boattest.com stats of a 255 impulse wake with twin 250hp and an AR240 and a 240 Limited S:
View attachment 64263
So what I don't understand is why it would have LESS consumption per hour, but get 1/2 a mile less per gallon while cruising?
Like, it gets better but worse gas consumption?
I didn't take the time to do the math, but it definitely looks like the reason is that the Yamaha's cruise speed is much greater than the Scarab's. The key is at the greater speed, the Yamaha is travelling a lot further per hour than the Scarab.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I didn't take the time to do the math, but it definitely looks like the reason is that the Yamaha's cruise speed is much greater than the Scarab's. The key is at the greater speed, the Yamaha is travelling a lot further per hour than the Scarab.
But bump the scarab up to the same mph, say, for a group cruise to bahamas or Starved rock to peoria run, and then it will start consuming more gas. I did notice the weight is a good bit more with the extra length!
Compared quick to the twin 200 hp 21' scarab and it was a HUGE difference!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, 300 lbs more than the AR240, and 200lbs more than the Limited S.
I mean, we all add more speakers, amps, subs, coolers kids, snacks, drinks etc so what's 300 lbs but I bet it's a bit of a porker weight wise. I hope most of that is because it would be built solid to last!
Then again, the length, plus the weight, will allow it to blast through some of that choppy water! I think that is why I would buy this boat, strictly because of the big water fun.
Besides, my wife doesn't like the outboards on my dream boat: http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/50008

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Yeah, I can only think that the twin 200''s would be even closer to the Yamaha.

Would this small difference in fuel consumption be a deal breaker for you guys?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Yeah, I can only think that the twin 200''s would be even closer to the Yamaha.

Would this small difference in fuel consumption be a deal breaker for you guys?
Nah, not if i go faster! LOL! I would be in the twin 250's and then upgrade intercooler at least if not a few other things. 90% of the time I am in bigger water so the bigger boat than my 21 would be sweet.
I wonder too, since it was the wake edition that was tested if some of the bag stuff that they say is removable is easy enough to remove or if it's a pain. I don't know how the cc does the ballast stuff either.
In any case, I just want a bigger boat but wife says the house project needs to finish first! We DID just pay off her car this year, AND I had a stroker earlier this year, so probably shouldn't drop that much coin on something just yet!
In any case, if anyone in the midwest buys any of the 255 series I NEED to buy them lunch and take it out on Lake Michigan!
Feel like coming down from WI? @Scottdip ?

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Over 4th of July weekend we trailered from Lake Geneva here all the way to Traverse City MI. We never got out onto Lake Michigan as we stayed in the two bays. I can tell you this though, Lake Geneva gets pretty large swells, sometimes 2-3'. You are more than welcome to come on up for a ride!