• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255 open

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Where are the fishing features? Concept of the "Open" was to accommodate fishing...correct? With all those seats...it's a pleasure cruiser. Swing and a miss!
probably a little early for this comment? the boat isn't even listed on Scarabs website so you really don't know the specs. I would assume it has all the features of the 195 open and then some.....

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
probably a little early for this comment? the boat isn't even listed on Scarabs website so you really don't know the specs. I would assume it has all the features of the 195 open and then some.....
Maybe...but if they intend on having those seats in the stern...well that leaves no room to fish. A center console's entire objective is to allow movement 360 degrees around the boat.

I'm sure it is only a design concept currently and they can add fishing "features" but the layout as it is designed currently does not lend itself to being fishing friendly.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Scarab had an "open" and an "open fish" last year. This year it's just the Open and you can option it any way you like. The photographed boat is setup for wakesurfing

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Maybe...but if they intend on having those seats in the stern...well that leaves no room to fish. A center console's entire objective is to allow movement 360 degrees around the boat.

I'm sure it is only a design concept currently and they can add fishing "features" but the layout as it is designed currently does not lend itself to being fishing friendly.
if you look at the picture Scottdip posted of the stern you can see that the stern seat cushions are held in with snaps, remove them to reveal the platform below. also, the seat backrests seem to pull right out ( one is flipped in the opposite direction in the pic). I think scarab nailed it with the centre console.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So....your saying it's perfect? No improvements needed? No design flaws? "Nailed it". ???

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I wouldn't call it any of those things since I haven't stepped foot on it. But a "swing and a miss", come on.

The one thing I could do is give first hand experience about owning and driving a 25' Scarab.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think they did a very good job with this boat. @ClemsonTiger serious question as I'm clueless, but do you think jet propulsion can equate to a great fishing boat. Will it track the way an avid fisherman like yourself would want? I don't really fish so I don't understand or know what fisherman really want. I'm not sure this is solely designed for the hardcore fisherman, but for somebody like myself that would enjoy the occasional fishing but spend way more time with friends/family I think this is great. I can't wait for @robert843 or @veedubtek to take me for a ride on theirs. Awesome looking boat IMO.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just trying to gauge the level of fanboyism.

Scarab shaded lenses shine bright.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think they did a very good job with this boat. @ClemsonTiger serious question as I'm clueless, but do you think jet propulsion can equate to a great fishing boat. Will it track the way an avid fisherman like yourself would want? I don't really fish so I don't understand or know what fisherman really want. I'm not sure this is solely designed for the hardcore fisherman, but for somebody like myself that would enjoy the occasional fishing but spend way more time with friends/family I think this is great. I can't wait for @robert843 or @veedubtek to take me for a ride on theirs. Awesome looking boat IMO.
And no, it will not track straight.

Just curious about the boats intent or purpose. Middle of road, jack of all trades, tend to be so-so at everything and great at nothing.

If your a pleasure boat, be one. If your a fishing boat, be one. When you try to do both, you end up with neither.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Unless you want a center console pleasure boat, then this is perfect. I hate that scarab made it before yamaha, but it is what it is.

Scottdip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Its a swing and miss...close the thread.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't really get it, nor do I get it on the Yamaha side either. I wouldn't call it a swing and a miss, but I don't really understand the market it appeals to. Seems the fishing functionality is probably lacking quite a bit compared to a fishing boat, and the layout to me seems inferior for entertaining (seating broken up). So to me unless your primary focus were fishing I don't know why you would prefer the layout for pleasure. Unless there are big advantages of CC other than fishing that I just don't know.

Looks great style wise though. Scarab definitely hits home runs in that department.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't really get it, nor do I get it on the Yamaha side either. I wouldn't call it a swing and a miss, but I don't really understand the market it appeals to. Seems the fishing functionality is probably lacking quite a bit compared to a fishing boat, and the layout to me seems inferior for entertaining (seating broken up). So to me unless your primary focus were fishing I don't know why you would prefer the layout for pleasure. Unless there are big advantages of CC other than fishing that I just don't know.

Looks great style wise though. Scarab definitely hits home runs in that department.
Think of it as a Heyday Wake Boat for more adult crowd!

But seriously - I totally dig this one. And I can not stand the idea of those heyday boats, which are very uni-dimensional and ugly, but this Scarab totally makes sense. Incredibly versatile. Incredible power plants/drivetrains, too, just have some issues... unfortunately. Hopefully they can resolve those.

Yamaha has been very very lucky so far with Scarab and Chaparral presenting with a host of QC/QA issues and spotty dealer support. But if that changes, I'm just itching to jump ship!

--

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I sure hope it has a good strong trolling motor mount. I think every boat should be able to have a trolling motor and they sure make some cool ones. I would love one that has the anchor feature just too cool.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
And no, it will not track straight.

Just curious about the boats intent or purpose. Middle of road, jack of all trades, tend to be so-so at everything and great at nothing.

If your a pleasure boat, be one. If your a fishing boat, be one. When you try to do both, you end up with neither.
I fish, take long cruises, and do watersports so i doubt anyone makes a perfect scenario boat. Unless i perhaps own it.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im curious as to how strong the tower will be, it really only has two mounting posts, while I understand the new forward swept wake towers only really have two mounting posts as well, they are half as long, so get half as much load... I can see these things getting torn out in a heart beat....

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great looking boat. But with their track record. Anyone that buys one is rolling a big pair of dice.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My take from an NC Coast Saltwater boater.... I love the look of the Scarab boats. If they didn't have such horrible feedback, I'd seriously be looking toward the 255 wake as my next purchase. I posted months ago that they were coming out with this 25' CC and have been excited to see what they came up with. It looks great and I love how they are rolling the dice with styling, features etc. Here is a problem I see.....the purpose of bay style boats around here is to fish shallow water. Try telling someone on the coast he can't run his fishing bay boat in water less than a couple of feet because he may suck up an oyster shell or some other debris on the bottom ..... Oh and once he does.... Your day is over because you have no clean out ports. True fishermen are going to go with what they know, and that's a center console with a 250 Yamaha or Mercury. They will not buy this boat. With that said, there are a lot of folks on the coast that buy nice center consoles just for pleasure. This may be the perfect solution to that. It just seems to me that it would be a very small niche. I hope the boat does well. I hope it causes Yamaha to up their game. But if I was going to spend upwards of 70k on a bay boat, I'd probably go get a Tidewater Custom (or something similar) with an outboard.