• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

school me on batteries, my 255xd will get barely 3 to 4hr on float

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
These are the batteries that came with my boat. Deka is made by East Penn and Deka is what we use in Cummins/Allison Hybrid buses, however they are AGM. They are good batteries. At $107.00, Now I know why my house battery drops like a rock, it's never been above 12.3v....total BS.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
These are the batteries that came with my boat. Deka is made by East Penn and Deka is what we use in Cummins/Allison Hybrid buses, however they are AGM. They are good batteries. At $107.00, Now I know why my house battery drops like a rock, it's never been above 12.3v....total BS.

yup the seahawk i have are rebranded deka....same battery. Both starting in my boat and the house tanks after 3hrs.

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
?
Are those deepcycle, starting or both? Would it be best to buy two of those or one of those and a starting battery?
These motors don’t require a lot of power to start like a car or truck, deep cycle batteries can start them with no issues.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
3-4 hours of float on the house battery is quite impressive! you must not play your music very loud :)

But seriously, the music system that comes on our boats is quite impressive and it's well amped up. I added 2 batteries and they get me through most days - not Memorial day when we floated for 8 hours in Devil's cove on Lake Travis. But, that's a completely different story that @Sotally Tober can tell you about ;)

I installed 1 Interestate 27DC from Costco (slightly larger than the once comes with the boat i.e. 24 DC) - a great deal <$85 and comes with 1 year full replacement warranty. I also added a Crank it UP cell (I paid ~ $300 for that one).

I wired the batteries myself which was pretty straight forward (in parallel - positive to positive, negative to negative) to the house battery (the one in the back)

The surf series boats have the solid ballast tanks in the back which means you will need to install the extra batteries somewhere in the front. I found the best / easiest place to run wires to is in the compartment in front of the captain (right under the WS amps). Running the cables wasn't difficult (especially if you buy a $15 fishing tool from Amazon). Run the cables from the Port side where the batteries are through the engine bay to the Starboard side (run along the other cables using zipties) . Then run it to the front through the hull. Remove the cupholder to the right of the captain chair and that will be a great midpoint. From there you're 5 ft to the destination which is accessible from the little door in the front

Having the batteries in that location makes adding another amp / speakers easy since you can just connect directly to them and get remote signal from the other amps already installed. I am planning to add 2 x Revo 10's before this weekend (people will listen to my music!! lol)

I hope this helps.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
3-4 hours of float on the house battery is quite impressive! you must not play your music very loud :)

But seriously, the music system that comes on our boats is quite impressive and it's well amped up. I added 2 batteries and they get me through most days - not Memorial day when we floated for 8 hours in Devil's cove on Lake Travis. But, that's a completely different story that @Sotally Tober can tell you about ;)

I installed 1 Interestate 27DC from Costco (slightly larger than the once comes with the boat i.e. 24 DC) - a great deal <$85 and comes with 1 year full replacement warranty. I also added a Crank it UP cell (I paid ~ $300 for that one).

I wired the batteries myself which was pretty straight forward (in parallel - positive to positive, negative to negative) to the house battery (the one in the back)

The surf series boats have the solid ballast tanks in the back which means you will need to install the extra batteries somewhere in the front. I found the best / easiest place to run wires to is in the compartment in front of the captain (right under the WS amps). Running the cables wasn't difficult (especially if you buy a $15 fishing tool from Amazon). Run the cables from the Port side where the batteries are through the engine bay to the Starboard side (run along the other cables using zipties) . Then run it to the front through the hull. Remove the cupholder to the right of the captain chair and that will be a great midpoint. From there you're 5 ft to the destination which is accessible from the little door in the front

Having the batteries in that location makes adding another amp / speakers easy since you can just connect directly to them and get remote signal from the other amps already installed. I am planning to add 2 x Revo 10's before this weekend (people will listen to my music!! lol)

I hope this helps.
i added another sub in form of bazooka 10" amplified tube in the compartment taking the low pass signal from the htx4 rca ch5. Theres 3 sets of rcas on the smaller htx4 that powers the tower. The 5th rca is actually an output luckily. Also not sure on the XE vs the XD but i have this black box with the gate controls in it mounted on the floor there also.

Did you change your factory battery sizes? mine are 24s and after measuring im def not fitting dual 31s in there. Even a 27 im going to need to modify the bottom tray on one.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
i added another sub in form of bazooka 10" amplified tube in the compartment taking the low pass signal from the htx4 rca ch5. Theres 3 sets of rcas on the smaller htx4 that powers the tower. The 5th rca is actually an output luckily. Also not sure on the XE vs the XD but i have this black box with the gate controls in it mounted on the floor there also.

Did you change your factory battery sizes? mine are 24s and after measuring im def not fitting dual 31s in there. Even a 27 im going to need to modify the bottom tray on one.
My black box is at the same location as yours. But, there is still plenty of room for two batteries since you can push them towards the front under the seat.

I kept my stock batteries as is.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
My black box is at the same location as yours. But, there is still plenty of room for two batteries since you can push them towards the front under the seat.

I kept my stock batteries as is.
Gotcha. Right now with the sub in there I killed that idea. I'm trying to see what magic I can do in the stock battery location in regards to up sizing. Doesn't look promising.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Gotcha. Right now with the sub in there I killed that idea. I'm trying to see what magic I can do in the stock battery location in regards to up sizing. Doesn't look promising.
A second sub! Nice!!

2 batteries might still fit in that area between the black box and the front seat. Your other option is going under the Port side front seat. Getting the cables there didn’t look as easy. But I’m sure is doable

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
A second sub! Nice!!

2 batteries might still fit in that area between the black box and the front seat. Your other option is going under the Port side front seat. Getting the cables there didn’t look as easy. But I’m sure is doable
in the head compartment? or theres a pocket in there hidden?

Id hate to take up any space in the head as my magma grill fits perfect in there when not using lol. Such a big boat and space is a premium due to the other lockers tied up with the hard ballast tanks. Really wish they stayed with bags but i understand why the switch.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What does it look like in engine bay? I don't have a wake version so not sure, but I have room for batteries for days.

Khalid

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I was thinking in the bow under the port side seat.

I agree with keeping the head compartment neat / clear. I carry 18 life jackets + 2 coolers + 2 surf boards and I need all the storage space I can get. I leave the cabin filler cushions and portable table at home. The ski locker comes handy to store the boards till I get to the water then I move them to the racks. I also store life jackets under the access port cover and under the back seats (over the battery and in the opposite side)

For my Revo 10's, I was planning to split one of the inputs to the tower amp. There are 4 RCA's going into that amp but only 1 seems to be providing a signal in (I unplugged them one at a time). I am thinking to simply splitting that one and connect it to the new amp / Revo's. Do you recommend a different route?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
What does it look like in engine bay? I don't have a wake version so not sure, but I have room for batteries for days.
the wake ballast tanks take up anything on the sides that would be good real-estate. I gotta just work on fitting a 27dc in the place of the house battery. Based on capacity vs what i got i should double my time roughly, ill be happy with even 1/4 more time. Gonna need to remove the batteries and look at the mounting plates and what i can modify. I need 2 inches roughly.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I was thinking in the bow under the port side seat.

I agree with keeping the head compartment neat / clear. I carry 18 life jackets + 2 coolers + 2 surf boards and I need all the storage space I can get. I leave the cabin filler cushions and portable table at home. The ski locker comes handy to store the boards till I get to the water then I move them to the racks. I also store life jackets under the access port cover and under the back seats (over the battery and in the opposite side)

For my Revo 10's, I was planning to split one of the inputs to the tower amp. There are 4 RCA's going into that amp but only 1 seems to be providing a signal in (I unplugged them one at a time). I am thinking to simply splitting that one and connect it to the new amp / Revo's. Do you recommend a different route?
i have my bow filler cushions in the port bow compartment, the GF like to lay out in the front lol.

Theres 4 rcas being used on the tower amp. I know the first pair are input, i didnt unplug the second pair to test. The third pair has only 1 with a signal (believe ch 5) and its a low pass. I have that Y'd to my bazooka 10" tube, which has its own amp built in.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Do you have pictures where the batteries are now?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I'll grab some later today. My oil comes in to do my 10hr service, as I refuse to go to the dealer for this after the last shit show. I dont trust anyone working on the boat other than myself. So much for a warranty lol.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The trays really hinder going 27 or 31 series batteries. Even if I remove the trays or modify I might just get the house swapped for a 27...31 would be pushing it.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Those are 24s I assume. 27s should be no issue, you just need new trays, they are like $10 on Amazon. Looks like you have a few inches in each direction to go.

I would leave start at 24 and see if you can fit 31 for house. Limiting factor look to be seat opening.

Curious what it looks like in the engine bay on that side.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Those are 24s I assume. 27s should be no issue, you just need new trays, they are like $10 on Amazon. Looks like you have a few inches in each direction to go.

I would leave start at 24 and see if you can fit 31 for house. Limiting factor look to be seat opening.

Curious what it looks like in the engine bay on that side.
27s measure right around 12 3/4 length, 31 is 13" roughly. These are 10 3/4 length current with the 24s. Ill peek at the trays on amazon. My goal would def be the 31 as the house and leave one of these. Then i have a spare if i ever need it. The engine compartment has no room due to the ballast tanks on each side.

The space avail is deceiving because it looks like its flat but when you feel down next to the trays theirs only an inch on each side before the hull goes up.

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
If you have a charger to keep the batteries topped of then most likely it wont be able to charge 1 agm and 1 lead acid at the same time. Both batteries should be the same type. They dont have to be the same size