• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scupper

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
If you're concerned see if you can locate a brass scupper. The main thing is to get the plastic one out of your boat.
Agreed. That plastic one is complete garbage. Many in this thread, including myself, have had theirs break off by not much more than a light touch. The stock piece has to go and ASAP. It's not a matter of if, but when it fails.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just snapped a picture of mine. I don't see any rust but I don't think it stays wet down there. Nylon seems like a good suggestion for guys that have not done it yet.IMG_2897rev1.jpg

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@buckbuck , Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for, a good shot of the location.

I'm probably over thinking the whole thing considering the boat is in it's 12th season and has has zero issues so far. I probably take on more water along the hinge to the engine hatch than I do back there. :cool:

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On our 210 series boat the drain plug is several inches below the scupper. There is a shelf between the two, but water should find its way down to the drain pretty easily.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

My plastic scupper is just fine my boat is 10 years old I believe the problem with the plastic scuppers is that at the factory there over tightening them and cracking them I check mine once a year I pull on it to check it, does not crack
I think you just need to inspect them

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

My plastic scupper is just fine my boat is 10 years old I believe the problem with the plastic scuppers is that at the factory there over tightening them and cracking them I check mine once a year I pull on it to check it, does not crack
I have your same year boat as you. When I pulled my scupper to change to SS I found my plastic scupper was in great shape. Boating in salt water as you do I decided to change it anyway. The biggest advantage to doing so was to get my head down into the lower bilge where I found 3 broken clamps. So my scupper change out had some collateral advantages.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed, Yes i have had broken clamps also Replaced the all with better stainless and coat them with Corrosion X heavy duty, I check the plastic every year. I will probably just replace the boat this year.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

And I'm in the same boat....but now I'm paranoid :banghead:
I just decided to go through the boat and trailer thoroughly and this is one of the things on my list of stuff to do.
I always have to have a list.

TonkaTuff

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMO, that plastic scupper is a piece of crap. Mine snapped into pieces on a gentle pull when I was removing it. Replacing it was one of the best things I did, if for no other reason than piece of mind.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So... my turn. Checked the scupper a few weeks ago from inside, it was fine. Get to the Keys, take the boat out for the day, leave it moored at night. I come out this morning and find the bilge pump running. It does not stop. I eventually popped open the engine hatch and found my engines half submerged! Two bilge pumps cannot keep up with a 2 inch hole in a boat. Scupper outer flange was missing. Didn't want to start the engines, so threw on a pair of fins and a life jacket and swam her to the ramp. If I can find a scupper here tomorrow, I'll do the replacement and an oil change. If not, she gets hosed down and stays on the trailer for the rest of the week.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So... my turn. Checked the scupper a few weeks ago from inside, it was fine. Get to the Keys, take the boat out for the day, leave it moored at night. I come out this morning and find the bilge pump running. It does not stop. I eventually popped open the engine hatch and found my engines half submerged! Two bilge pumps cannot keep up with a 2 inch hole in a boat. Scupper outer flange was missing. Didn't want to start the engines, so threw on a pair of fins and a life jacket and swam her to the ramp. If I can find a scupper here tomorrow, I'll do the replacement and an oil change. If not, she gets hosed down and stays on the trailer for the rest of the week.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for posting. Sorry about the trouble. But this is a good warning to the procrastinators on the board.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've got a stainless steel scupper in my garage because I'm one of those procrastinators. You want it overnighted? Let me know and we can work $ out later.

Do you need to grind down two sides like on my 230?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could also bang out the plastic crap and bang in a wooden plug that most boat stores carry.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Murf, if I am recalling correctly, he will not have to grind the sides on the 210 series boats. I seem to remembering it being an easy mod except reaching way down there and tightening the nut.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Does not need grinding for me if you haven't already done it (if you have, I'll do a new one for you and send it back if you like). Send the details and shipping info to your inbox. :thumbsup:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
smthng, are your engines ok?

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@buckbuck Engines should be good... water never made it to spark plugs, computers or air filters. I started them this morning and they sounded fine and oil looks okay. I'll be doing a full change when I get home anyway just in case, but I think I got it out of the water in time (barely).

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good to hear.

smthng

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Just for reference, I ordered (and just installed) the Attwood 66553-1/66553-3 version. It's 5 1/2" total length and is pictured above installed in the post by @buckbuck . According to the specs on the Attwood site, a 66557-1 might be a better match... it's an inch shorter as it uses less thread. It's still longer than the stock plastic one, but it's closer. Either should work, so it would depend mostly on which you can find at what price you want to pay.

If someone ends up with a 66557-1 and can verify that it's a good fit, it would be helpful to future victims if that can be confirmed as a good replacement as well at the 66553.