• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Sent the wife over the bow into the lake while docking today

RT140

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ve been monitoring this forum for years and never had a post worthy enough till today.
It’s a long one but worth it as I sent the wife swimming off the bow at the boat ramp today at Jordan Lake NC.

The Captain is always responsible for what happens but lack of communication on my part was the culprit. She is ok and still talking to me which is the important part especially for it being Mother's Day but wow was it hilarious. Getting to add more SeaDeck out of the deal too as those were some of her first words out of the water to add the accessary pads to bow.

What happened was that she was at the bow as we approached the dock. She will usually hop off as we get close or if I have the stern close enough, I will hop off with a 3' looped line and place over a cleat and then walk up to grab bow line from her. We have done this going on 10 years with jet boats. But this time I didn't tell her I had stepped off and secured the line. I was walking up the dock almost to the bow and she was getting ready to hop off. She says that she stepped up on bow but then saw me out the corner of her eye so decided not to jump but felt herself slip. She felt off balance so instead of landing on the dock awkwardly or trying to catch the side of the boat decide to clean jump off the bow clear of everything.

It was hilarious and provided entertainment for the 6 full boat lanes (which included other jet boaters) Better to fess up then be called out.

I was glad she was ok and I lifted her out immediately. She lost her cell phone, new sunglasses and pride. Didn’t know about the phone till it wasn't in her cup holder and since she has developed a habit of tucking it in her bathing suit. Thanks for phone insurance though.

As we continued our laughs at dinner is when we realized that the stern line may have gone taunt contributing to the slip or slight change of forward momentum.
I also hadn’t used that bungie line that I just “had to buy” as we usually use it for that purpose but had used it today for our pups maiden voyage.

Changes in your routine can always cause ripple effects. In this case, a big ripple after a splash.

Just wanted to share some lessons at the start of the year as nothing humbles veteran boaters more than a boat ramp flub.
Also want to add cameras now to the tower just for entertainment purposes if anyone has suggestions.

I’ve been monitoring this forum for years and never had a post worthy enough till today.
It’s a long one but worth it as I sent the wife swimming off the bow at the boat ramp today at Jordan Lake NC.

The Captain is always responsible for what happens but lack of communication on my part was the culprit. She is ok and still talking to me which is the important part especially for it being Mother's Day but wow was it hilarious. Getting to add more SeaDeck out of the deal too as those were some of her first words out of the water to add the accessary pads to bow.

What happened was that she was at the bow as we approached the dock. She will usually hop off as we get close or if I have the stern close enough, I will hop off with a 3' looped line and place over a cleat and then walk up to grab bow line from her. We have done this going on 10 years with jet boats. But this time I didn't tell her I had stepped off and secured the line. I was walking up the dock almost to the bow and she was getting ready to hop off. She says that she stepped up on bow but then saw me out the corner of her eye so decided not to jump but felt herself slip. She felt off balance so instead of landing on the dock awkwardly or trying to catch the side of the boat decide to clean jump off the bow clear of everything.

It was hilarious and provided entertainment for the 6 full boat lanes (which included other jet boaters) Better to fess up then be called out.

I was glad she was ok and I lifted her out immediately. She lost her cell phone, new sunglasses and pride. Didn’t know about the phone till it wasn't in her cup holder and since she has developed a habit of tucking it in her bathing suit. Thanks for phone insurance though.

As we continued our laughs at dinner is when we realized that the stern line may have gone taunt contributing to the slip or slight change of forward momentum.
I also hadn’t used that bungie line that I just “had to buy” as we usually use it for that purpose but had used it today for our pups maiden voyage.

Changes in your routine can always cause ripple effects. In this case, a big ripple after a splash.

Just wanted to share some lessons at the start of the year as nothing humbles veteran boaters more than a boat ramp flub.
Also want to add cameras now to the tower just for entertainment purposes if anyone has suggestions.
@RT140 ..... your life is far more dangerous than mine. :cool:

I'll add a story that didn't turn out as well. 10 years ago my wife was hopping off the boat as we docked, like she often did. This time she slipped and her calf caught on the cleat. She ended up hanging upside down head in the water with a huge gash on her leg. I got her off the cleat and on to the dock. She ended up with surgery later that day. She still has her "shark bite" scar to remind us to be careful around the dock.

Careful when having someone stand up at the bow while docking. This one didn’t end very well. Granted they were drinking. But I can see this happening with or without alcohol.

Careful when having someone stand up at the bow while docking. This one didn’t end very well. Granted they were drinking. But I can see this happening with or without alcohol.

There was an accident last year where a man’s truck was found idling with the trailer in the water at the dock, boat was found floating down river, and finally the man’s body was found. Apparently he was launching his boat, fell and hit his head, was knocked unconscious and drowned. My friends made me promise to always wear my auto inflating PFD any time I was around the dock or underway.

There was an accident last year where a man’s truck was found idling with the trailer in the water at the dock, boat was found floating down river, and finally the man’s body was found. Apparently he was launching his boat, fell and hit his head, was knocked unconscious and drowned. My friends made me promise to always wear my auto inflating PFD any time I was around the dock or underway.

Huh, never crossed my mind. When I hopefully start to launch in the early mornings to go fishing by myself, wearing one of my Mustang Inflatable PFD's would be a smart thing to do. Just takes one wrong slip with no one around to get hurt, knock your head and have a bad situation. Great Advice!

Huh, never crossed my mind. When I hopefully start to launch in the early mornings to go fishing by myself, wearing one of my Mustang Inflatable PFD's would be a smart thing to do. Just takes one wrong slip with no one around to get hurt, knock your head and have a bad situation. Great Advice!

Yeah, I got the one with the 35# of flotation... it will flip you over and put your face up out of the water if you’re unconscious. I do 95% of my boating by myself.... also figured if I was cruising and hit a log or something and hit my head and fell overboard I’d wake up in the water with a goose egg on my head and the boat a few hundred feet away. Those auto inflation types of PFD’s are so comfortable to wear I find that I’ve still got in on when I walk in the house after getting home. I think I read that the USCG stated that of all the drownings that happen 80% of them would have been prevented if those persons would have had on a PFD. Slowly acquiring enough of the auto inflation units for all persons on the boat, in addition to the standard Orange jobs. Fun fact, the auto inflation type of PFD’s only count towards the required number of PFD’s on board if they are being worn.

I carry 4 for me the admiral and the two girls, including replacement cartridges on board. The rest are standard issue yellow/orange, throw cushion with line attached and 6 neoprene in different sizes. 14 floatation/pfd's on board.

I carry 4 for me the admiral and the two girls, including replacement cartridges on board. The rest are standard issue yellow/orange, throw cushion with line attached and 6 neoprene in different sizes. 14 floatation/pfd's on board.

Right on.... as the saying goes..”luck favors those that are prepared”. I should get some rearming kits, and double check the dates on the bobbins.

Air Head had the Fanny pack ones on sale for $35 each a while back and I missed it...

Back