• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should we move south???

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must repeat....

NOTHING BUT GIANT COCKROACHES AND WRINKLY OLD PEOPLE SOUTH OF ORLANDO.

BEWARE AND STAY NORTH OF NAPLES.

Yes, it’s my shameless scare tactic to keep my paradise less populated.

PS- DID I MENTION HURRICANES THAT WILL DESTROY YOUR HOME?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
im of the opinion that if you want to work you'll find it, just a case of making it work
Heck yes that is a winning attitude. Just read a story about a UPS worker who was commuting to work 11 miles each way for 7 months........ ON FOOT!!!!! That is the kind of guy I want working for me.

RadioWaves

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any thoughts on the Fort Myers, Cape Coral areas? We are thinking about a manufactured home on a canal, there seems to be some great priced units out there. We would only use it during the winter as we will keep our house at KY lake for the summers. I know insurance would be high but for the price of these you might be able to self insure for the structure. any other pitfalls I am missing?

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My FIL's next door neighbor in Cape Coral lost his seawall during Irma. Estimates are $60K and upward to replace. I have some photos in my Cape Coral post about damaged seawalls. The homeowners insurance doesn't cover them, and the town doesn't own them, so its your problem.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@LeeFlan7 we moved from NJ to Evans GA. Its a suburb of Augusta GA. It was listed on many guides as "Top places to raise a family, top places to retire, top places for tech jobs, medical jobs etc."
If you golf, you'll love life here. Homes are large and well priced, schools consistently rank in the top of the South, property taxes are low. We are near Fort Gordon which offers lots of jobs for the tech industry since its home to Cyber Command. We have 9 hospitals in the surrounding area, we're getting a 10th. W e have lots of youth sports programs, a BMX racing track, and a brand new skate park. Most rent their homes during Masters week since there are no real high rise hotels here. The rent is tax free, and you're covered by a $1MM policy against damage. We've rented our home to a golfer the past 3 years and its been a huge cash bonus to us. Boating? Yep, 7 miles away is Clarks Hill Lake (GA) / Lake Thurmond (SC). 72K acres of beaches, lakes, and islands. Not far from Lake Oconee GA, or SC lakes either. We head to Orlando by car which is a 6.5 hour drive. Heading back to NJ for holidays took us 12.5 hours, Cabelas in PA was about 9 hrs. If you have any questions PM me.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow! Just checked Realtor.com for Evans, GA! Good stuff! About 2hrs 45min. to the beach...12 hrs. from "home". Lake nice and close. Nice being close to Orlando too! Not bad! Like the idea of being a little further away from the coast too. May look you up in a year or so Lee!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow! Just checked Realtor.com for Evans, GA! Good stuff! About 2hrs 45min. to the beach...12 hrs. from "home". Lake nice and close. Nice being close to Orlando too! Not bad! Like the idea of being a little further away from the coast too. May look you up in a year or so Lee!
My wife and I recently moved to Greensboro, GA (Lake Oconee Area) from the suburbs of Atlanta and couldn't be more happy. We're an 1hour from Evans/Augusta, 1-1.5 hours from Atlanta, 2 hours from Columbia SC, 3.5 hours from Charleston SC, 45ish minutes to Athens, GA, etc. It's not cheap to live near the lake here but if you like golf, no traffic, small town feel, it's a great place to live. Reynolds Plantation has brought a lot of transplants across the country and certainly from up north. If you're looking for a community with tons of amenities, top notch golf, while living in a lake front/lake access subdivision, Reynolds has a lot to offer. What took a little bit of adjusting to, specifically the wife, is the limited shopping in our area. All major shopping is approximately 45 minutes to hour away in several directions, but all options are 100% traffic free so it doesn't feel that far as the drive is easy. It's lake life and not coastal waters but again I feel its a great place to live. There is a Ritz Carlton on the lake, so if you're ever interested in taking a drive to explore areas down south stay a night there and check out the area.

Last edited:

jameskeller76

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Moved to Austin from Chicago 4 years ago and never looked back. Best decision we've ever made.

Coheeba

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The thought of moving south, especially to state like TX or FL that lacks an income tax is getting more and more appealing every year. Only cons would be distance from family and the huge hassle of it all.
The family will want to come visit because its WAAARRMMMMMM

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm a little surprised no one from the Southwest spoke up on this thread. BTW, California doesn't get to be considered southwest (too freaky weird for us western folk). I'm talking Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and even Nevada. You want warm? Phoenix will permanently thin out your blood in one summer. Next to Florida, Arizona also has the highest boat ownership per capita of any other state in the US. Plenty of large lakes around Phoenix and we share Lake Meade and Lake Powell with neighboring states (Fantastic Boating). You want room to stretch out? Arizona just recently passed 7 million people, making us the largest population state in the southwest (more opportunity), but still plenty of elbow room. Oh, and did I mention the best year round boating weather in the country (maybe next to Florida, but it's so boring flat there) and the most diverse topology of any state including the Grand Canyon (seven wonders of the world). I know, my boat is named "Arizona Native" so I'm a little bias.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm a little surprised no one from the Southwest spoke up on this thread. BTW, California doesn't get to be considered southwest (too freaky weird for us western folk). I'm talking Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and even Nevada. You want warm? Phoenix will permanently thin out your blood in one summer. Next to Florida, Arizona also has the highest boat ownership per capita of any other state in the US. Plenty of large lakes around Phoenix and we share Lake Meade and Lake Powell with neighboring states (Fantastic Boating). You want room to stretch out? Arizona just recently passed 7 million people, making us the largest population state in the southwest (more opportunity), but still plenty of elbow room. Oh, and did I mention the best year round boating weather in the country (maybe next to Florida, but it's so boring flat there) and the most diverse topology of any state including the Grand Canyon (seven wonders of the world). I know, my boat is named "Arizona Native" so I'm a little bias.

@A Z Native, funny you say that....my father-in-law is a phoenix resident working with the VA out there, so this is running a very close second to Florida, however, my wife really feels FL gives us a little more to do with a young family...thoughts?

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My six grand kids are 5th generation Arizona Native, and are plenty busy and entertained. I guess it depends on the definition of "lot's to do" (without spending hundreds of $$ at a theme park) . Let me list a few things Florida doesn't have:
Cactus; The Grand Canyon; Two Ski Resorts; Mountains for Camping, Fishing Hunting, Exploring; Rodeos with cowboys; Sedona Red Rock Country; Ostrich Festival (kind of weird, but true); Tombstone, Kartchner Caverns (phenomenal caves) Colorado River; Stocked City Fishing Lakes; Professional Hockey, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Men's and Women's Basketball, Nascar and Indy Car racing (all in Phoenix). Not to mention, close to Mexico (Rocky Point and Dozens of Resorts with a couple hour flight), San Diego 5 hour drive (they call us Zonies) with SD Zoo, Sea World, Lego Land, etc., LA 6 hour drive with Disney, Universal Studios, Beaches, etc. You don't have to live in crazy California to enjoy the good parts. Oh, and no mosquitoes, humidity, sea gulls, hurricanes,or swamps with Alligators. Order a subscription to www.arizonahighwaysmagazine.com
Cactus.jpg Haboob.jpg No this Haboob isn't photoshop'd!!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually we do have cactus we run across those on islands all the time. We do have fishing, hunting and rodeos, professional hockey,Baseball, Football, Soccer, Men's and Women's Basketball, Sea World, Lego Land, etc, Universal Studios, Beaches. plus lots of BINGO and drive by shootings are always entertaining. Heck we had a school shooting today. Just another day in paradise.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Actually we do have cactus we run across those on islands all the time. We do have fishing, hunting and rodeos, professional hockey,Baseball, Football, Soccer, Men's and Women's Basketball, Sea World, Lego Land, etc, Universal Studios, Beaches. plus lots of BINGO and drive by shootings are always entertaining. Heck we had a school shooting today. Just another day in paradise.
So sorry to learn about the shooting today in Parkland. My heart goes out to the families and community.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's just insane how people run around and just shoot other people. We had a 59 year old woman shot and killed by persons unknown next to city hall 2 nights ago. No one has a clue why.

LeeFlan7

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll echo that statement...my heart is broken for the families affected

vxooxv

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My family considered Florida a couple years back. I stumbled on this website which talked me out of it. I slightly regret it...
https://www.stateoffloridaliving.com/start-here-before-moving-to-florida/

Now we are looking at the Carolina's though i'm already in VA we are a couple hours from our closest lake and waterfront property is mostly rentals or retirees from the Northern VA market driving up cost with nothing around. I work from home in the Tech space but like the security of 'what if...' in case something happens.

Which lake... which lake?

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's just insane how people run around and just shoot other people. We had a 59 year old woman shot and killed by persons unknown next to city hall 2 nights ago. No one has a clue why.
I don't understand how these school shootings keep happening. Isn't it against the law to have a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school?