• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should we move south???

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't understand how these school shootings keep happening. Isn't it against the law to have a firearm within 1,000 feet of a school?
You're joking right? That's like saying I don't understand how there are DUIs, aren't their laws against drinking and driving.

Last edited:

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes I am. Wouldn't call it joking though. Too sad of a subject.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Today in Tampa 2 girls were walking near their school and someone drove by and shot them in the feet or lower legs. What the hell is wrong with people?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Today in Tampa 2 girls were walking near their school and someone drove by and shot them in the feet or lower legs. What the hell is wrong with people?
It would seem like some people are looking for a real life video game. I belive that technology is disconnecting some as much as it connecting many. Talk to your kids and be real with them. By 12 they are involved with social media and having to deal with pressures that we did not. By 16 they have heard about or done things that you have never heard about or done. Some withdraw completely and hide. Help your kids through it wether they are the leaders or the withdrawn they need guidance in things that are sometimes hard to discuss. Oh yeah they WILL lie to you or omit things so you need to find a way to get them to truly open up.

As for protecting them against uncontrollable outside evils there is not much you can do. Talk to their friends too and have a positive impact on as many folks as you can will help even if only an unmeasurable little.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am glad you mentioned that, I was telling my girlfriend today that the kids learn violence and killing for fun via video games and what we are trained to do is what we do.
In my 23 years in law enforcement Each time I fired my gum in the line of duty it was within days of combat course firearms training.
Training makes us do things automatically and kids are learning it's fun to kill it's a challenge to kill the most the fastest. Games disconnect them from reality . I reminded her that when we were kids there were a lot of westerns and in most cases the good guy shot the gun out of the hand of the bad guy. Now I realize this is oversimplifying things but I think it needs some serious research.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not villainising video games. I never played them much and my kids do have them. I think they are like any good thing that can be taken to excess. It is my job to ensure that my kids don’t ams in their eyes I am the villain for not making them stop to go outside sometimes. I just smile after they are out the door.

I wholeheartedly agree with training. When I lock up at night I start from the bed as if I am clearing the house in the same way each night. This may sounds nuts to some folks but just my routine while I check on everyone and everything. I also belive that those who own firearms for self defense should practice with them in a frequency that keeps them proficient or else they could cause more harm.

Back to the thread topic I don’t think the south is more prone to violence. I plan to be lake boating with my wife on Presidents day in mid 70s while the kids are in school making up a weather day that was not even needed. Meanwhile back where I use to live folks will be driving their trucks on the frozen lakes and using gas powered oversized drills to make holes in the 3 foot thick ice and huddling in a small shack to fish.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Central Texas. ..hill country. ..no income tax, good gas prices, great economy, friendly people, plenty of places to boat!
Drove through a small sliver of hill country on the way between two conferences last year, I don’t think I have fallen in love with a place quite so quickly. I check the job boards every few months when I get especially cold up here.

If I manage to find an opportunity to work where I can add value to the team and live on a lake in hill country, I’d move heaven and earth to make it happen!

On that note.... do you have any contacts looking for someone with experience in Ag, Tech (hardware and SAAS) and Strategic Management? There is a neighbour who always has a fridge full of cold beer and a fellow Jet Boater in it for you! :)

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just received this info what is wrong with people?

Our high school PPHS is now getting active shooter threats. What is wrong with the world? If anyone has family or friends at that school please tell them to be careful!

Pinellas Park Police Department
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/pinellasparkpd/photos/a.163357757060797.41781.147772921952614/1720847444645146/?type=3']57 mins
·
Media Release - Social Media Threat

Pinellas Park Police are aware of and are investigating a recent social media post that was shared on Snap Chat sometime on this past Friday evening which made threat of a possible school shooting to take place on Tuesday, February 20th. The post also said for students not to come to school. While the post did not name a school specifically it was alleged that the post had been written on a bathroom wall of Pinellas Park High School. Pinellas Park Police School Resource Officers and school officials are aware of the social media post.

Pinellas Park Police will continue to have an increased presence at all of our community schools as we have since the shooting in south Florida. Beginning Monday additional officers will be at Pinellas Park High School and Morgan Fitzgerald Middle School which is located directly across the street. At this point we have no information to substantiate the credibility of the threat; however we are taking these actions to ensure the safety of all students and staff at the schools.

Released by: Sgt. M. Lynch - Pinellas Park PD

[/URL]

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On that note.... do you have any contacts looking for someone with experience in Ag, Tech (hardware and SAAS) and Strategic Management? There is a neighbour who always has a fridge full of cold beer and a fellow Jet Boater in it for you! :)
@Whisky, Not sure what Ag, Tech (hardware and SAAS) and Strategic Management is exactly, but it sounds like something of a civilians job that our local Fort Gordon Cyber Command post would look for.

Whisky

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Whisky, Not sure what Ag, Tech (hardware and SAAS) and Strategic Management is exactly, but it sounds like something of a civilians job that our local Fort Gordon Cyber Command post would look for.
Thanks for the idea! I hadn’t thought of that, but it looks like there may be some great opportunities there I will have to look into further. Only been to Augusta once as a kid, but if I remember correctly it was also a pretty great place!

As for what it is, great question haha basically the majority of my career has been focused on agricultural technologies (daily satilite crop monitoring, UAV’s, robotics and autonomous farm machinery, etc.) essentially taking farming to the next level. Have worked in sales, support, and project/strategic management.

Joy Wolff

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
The northerners hibernate in the winter. Floridians hibernate in the summer, from late March, through late October. Humidity is so high, that it's like being in a constant sauna. If you are not in the pool, in the lake, in a car: you have to be inside. You take a walk outside, and over-heat easily because the humidity is so high, that the sweat you sweat: just stays on your skin, and your body temp. keeps going up. Very unpleasant to walk in the summer, or do physical activity, unless you do it at dawn, or right before sunset.

Bugs: mosquitoes, cockroaches (from 3 inches long, to 1/2 inch long: all kinds), flies, spiders, snakes in my back yard. All are fairly tolerable, except the mosquitoes, although they spray for them: depending on the rainfall in the summer: they reproduce so fast, one cannot get away from them.

Also after 2-3 years here, you will develop allergies, as we don't get proper freezes, and things are constantly blooming, and creating pollen, mold, and algae: all of which gets caught in your nose, ear canals, and on your body. Sneezing, eye itching, and skin itching are pretty constant.

And I miss a proper four seasons. We get two: coolish (great winters) and very hot. There is not much transition in between. This winter we had one night of upper 20's weather: for about 5 hours, and many plants in my yard died: as we are in the subtropics, and plants are subtropical, and cannot stand that low of a temperature, for the time it was low. Now have to trim, dig out, and re-plant.

If you can: VISIT in the winter (great weather): but you don't want to live here in the late spring, summer, and early fall!!!
I live in Orange County/Orlando, Fl. And have for 40 years. I would move, if I could, but business keeps me in this area. Good luck!

BTW: It's too hot to boat from about early April until about October. Not matter how fast you go, it's still hot and humid, and the boat gets too hot to touch!

Last edited:

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You can move South. The cost is finding 5 five people and moving them back up North.

n1111z

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am glad you mentioned that, I was telling my girlfriend today that the kids learn violence and killing for fun via video games and what we are trained to do is what we do.
In my 23 years in law enforcement Each time I fired my gum in the line of duty it was within days of combat course firearms training.
Training makes us do things automatically and kids are learning it's fun to kill it's a challenge to kill the most the fastest. Games disconnect them from reality . I reminded her that when we were kids there were a lot of westerns and in most cases the good guy shot the gun out of the hand of the bad guy. Now I realize this is oversimplifying things but I think it needs some serious research.
CobraJet thank you for your service!
Make no mistake the world is a far better place than it was even thirty years ago. Fewer wars, less crime, less hunger, longer life expectancy, less disease, more civil rights, and on and on. Whenever one of these tragedies happens the media churns it for all it's worth because it's a ratings bonanza. Please look at this article from a definitely-not-conservative-newspaper:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/19/parkland-school-shootings-not-new-normal-despite-statistics-stretching-truth-fox-column/349380002/

South Florida IMO is the greatest place on Earth!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Eh, I don't buy for one second that video games are to blame for our children's problems. I blame it on their failed parents, our failed society, our failed schools and institutions, our failed judicial system, the joke that is the FBI and our 'government'. Firearms have been around long before freaking video games. The moral fiber of society has deteriorated away not because of digital devices but because of something far more evil and powerful...

Last edited:

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Eh, I don't buy for one second that video games are to blame for our children's problems. I blame it on their failed parents, our failed society, our failed schools and institutions, our failed judicial system, the joke that is the FBI and our 'government'. Firearms have been around long before freaking video games. The moral fiber of society has deteriorated away not because of digital devices but because of something far more evil and powerful...

I was in the Marine Corps infantry for 13 years, another 12 years as a contractor, with a total of 18 years overseas. There is some merit to the video game theory. When trained to kill, there are two aspects that are a focal point. The first is to desensitize one to killing, which in effect is what video games do to a certain degree. The other is to instill hate for an enemy that troops may have never even seen in person before. This makes it easier for someone to drop the trigger. Normal people innately resist killing.

We used video games as tactical training aids back in the early 90s and 2000s. Today, VR is used as well. It does work. Otherwise, we would not have used it.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I say head south. I spent 21 years in northern Alabama before moving to St. Paul, MN. 6 months later I realized the extent of my mistake and moved back.

And FYI if you don't like the cold, it's been 70+ degrees here for the past week.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I love it here in Ontario, if you like outdoors, fresh water, we have 10000+ lakes to have fun on. Fall cruising down the lake in the boat is amazing, all the leafs changing colour. Plus I like to snowmobile, so doing a wheelie at 90mph down the lake is fun too. Then you get pumped for spring and pull the boat out again and its like you just got a new toy!

Lion

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Southern California, let’s see. Great weather, little to no rain most of the time.
Great schools and Universities.
If you live inland, you can get to the ocean or to the mountains in about the same amount of time. You can head to the beach to surf in the winter, then turn around and hit the slopes for skiing. All those fun activities in one day.
Large diversity of people. Lots of great paying jobs (if you can find one).
Hollywood, movie stars, mansions, caviar dreams... if you are into that.

Now for the bad out here in the west coast... Cost of living, high taxes, everything is extremely expensive.
Rude snotty rich people that think you owe the everything.
Heavy traffic. It usually takes 45 min or more in traffic to drive 20 miles.
Smog is real bad.
State laws are stupid.
Hell, there is too much negative things .... why do I live here?

Now if we can swap all the good benefits that Florida has along with their cost of living, this place would be awesome!

What do you say Floridians, let’s trade...lol

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Southern California, let’s see. Great weather, little to no rain most of the time.
Great schools and Universities.
If you live inland, you can get to the ocean or to the mountains in about the same amount of time. You can head to the beach to surf in the winter, then turn around and hit the slopes for skiing. All those fun activities in one day.
Large diversity of people. Lots of great paying jobs (if you can find one).
Hollywood, movie stars, mansions, caviar dreams... if you are into that.

Now for the bad out here in the west coast... Cost of living, high taxes, everything is extremely expensive.
Rude snotty rich people that think you owe the everything.
Heavy traffic. It usually takes 45 min or more in traffic to drive 20 miles.
Smog is real bad.
State laws are stupid.
Hell, there is too much negative things .... why do I live here?

Now if we can swap all the good benefits that Florida has along with their cost of living, this place would be awesome!

What do you say Floridians, let’s trade...lol
Hell no! You can keep your earthquakes, quacks, leftists, 10 round magazines and bully pulpit Hollywood stars. *drops mic