• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us your tow rigs!

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Damn that's a long ass trailer tongue
I think the boat is just REALLY far back. Looks like it’s well past the bunks, but maybe just the angle of the pic? Adamncincy, ever measure the tongue weight of that setup?

gkallevig

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Out with the old 2018 SQ5. In with the new AT4 diesel
That looks like QUITE the load for the SQ5, how did it handle it? How much weight is that? I'm assuming you had the 3.0 supercharged (what are they like 340 hp)?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That looks like QUITE the load for the SQ5, how did it handle it? How much weight is that? I'm assuming you had the 3.0 supercharged (what are they like 340 hp)?
Those smaller SUVs actually handle it quite well. When I bought my boat (2016 242 LSE), I had a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.7L Hammy and factory air ride and it surprisingly towed the boat GREAT!!!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
That’s a great looking Yamamoomba!

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
it did amazing. We towed about 30 miles to the lake on back roads at 60mph. Air ride did a wonderful job leveling it out. It was def over max weight. It never groaned or complained and the exhaust note was epic. However, my main concern was how long would/could it do this? 1k miles, 20k miles, etc. plus we simply need a truck for other things as well. It probably weighs 6.5k or 7k loaded.

Attachments

Zombiezach

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice to hear that the X3 tows the 19ft well. We just got the hitch installed on my wife's X5. Now when I tow the camper she can tow the boat. 🙂.
Wifes got a 328d. Very tempted to pull the trigger on a 2014 x5d. Truck prices have me looking elsewhere, just hate giving up all the storage space. Could use the v10 excursion but not too comfortable towing with a 12in lifted beast!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
it did amazing. We towed about 30 miles to the lake on back roads at 60mph. Air ride did a wonderful job leveling it out. It was def over max weight. It never groaned or complained and the exhaust note was epic. However, my main concern was how long would/could it do this? 1k miles, 20k miles, etc. plus we simply need a truck for other things as well. It probably weighs 6.5k or 7k loaded.
That's sneaking up on the max tow rating for the Q7. I've seen several threads with Q7 owners towing right up to the limit and reporting good results (not sure for how long though).

Does the SQ5 have the traditional ZF or a DSG transmission behind the 3.0T? My Q7 has the ZF with a traditional torque convertor. I can see a DSG getting worked pretty hard at the ramp with that kind of load.

At any rate the new AT4 will certainly feel like an upgrade for towing, but probably not so much in the handling/fun to drive department.

Chevyguy2021

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's sneaking up on the max tow rating for the Q7. I've seen several threads with Q7 owners towing right up to the limit and reporting good results (not sure for how long though).

Does the SQ5 have the traditional ZF or a DSG transmission behind the 3.0T? My Q7 has the ZF with a traditional torque convertor. I can see a DSG getting worked pretty hard at the ramp with that kind of load.

At any rate the new AT4 will certainly feel like an upgrade for towing, but probably not so much in the handling/fun to drive department.
it has an 8 speed and literally never skipped a beat. Just don’t know how long it would do that for. Paid $43k for it, sold it 13k miles later and one year older for $42k

Klover

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Just picked up a new Sierra 1500 Elevation with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. Haven't towed our 255XD behind it yet, but will be taking it to our dealer for the 10hr service tomorrow. It won't match our Sapphire Blue and Black boat, but my wife didn't want a black truck and we both loved this color (Cayenne Red Tin Coat). Hopefully it will tow the boat well. We have a 16 hr drive/tow down to Powell next month so guess we'll find out.
Got almost 25 mpg driving it back from Utah going 80+ (without towing our boat) -- so curious to see what we'll get while towing. Impressed with the drive and gas mileage of the truck so far.
New GMC Sierra Elevation.jpgGMC Sierra Elevation.jpg

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Picked up a load of hay and gave the truck a workout.
View attachment 154259
Then I used this tow rig for a huge load. Got a snow box from a neighbor and was just easier to do it this way.
View attachment 154258
Whats the weight on a round bale? 2k lbs? so you have like 10k there plus trailer? Rough guess?

OK I went down a Hay-Internet Rabbit hole and found this...
Looks like about 1,200-1,400lbs

Also found this. Not really relevant to round bales, but it's fascinating how the baler works!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Whats the weight on a round bale? 2k lbs? so you have like 10k there plus trailer? Rough guess?

OK I went down a Hay-Internet Rabbit hole and found this...
Looks like about 1,200-1,400lbs

Also found this. Not really relevant to round bales, but it's fascinating how the baler works!
My bales weigh close to if not 2k each. 10 on the trailer so yeah, I was overweight.

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Just picked up a new Sierra 1500 Elevation with the 3.0 Turbo Diesel. Haven't towed our 255XD behind it yet, but will be taking it to our dealer for the 10hr service tomorrow. It won't match our Sapphire Blue and Black boat, but my wife didn't want a black truck and we both loved this color (Cayenne Red Tin Coat). Hopefully it will tow the boat well. We have a 16 hr drive/tow down to Powell next month so guess we'll find out.
Got almost 25 mpg driving it back from Utah going 80+ (without towing our boat) -- so curious to see what we'll get while towing. Impressed with the drive and gas mileage of the truck so far.
View attachment 154586View attachment 154587
Give us an update after the long tow.