• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Steering cable lubrication 2015+

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes I did.

cyclops

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MilesPrower when you did this, where does the excess come out? I know the cables go into the steering assembly, so does the lube come out from an opening in the assembly, and can you point it out? Going to look at how the fittings at the jet look to see if this needs to move up the list of things to do, and I'm trying to figure out how messy this could potentially be at the helm area.

@HangOutdoors did you see this thread as well?
I pumped oil out from the steering wheel column end, but next time I'll pump from jet end. Oil does come out unexpectantly, but that's probably because I pumped a lot.

I didn't use a plastic bag. I bought a cheap 14 pack of puppy trainer mats and that soaked up any oil that dripped. I think I used about 12 of them! lol

*Also, I used thin motor oil, but think I'm going to use @MilesPrower 's suggestion of gear oil. Motorex gear oil isn't the easiest to find (unless it's shipped), but I'm a big fan of Mobil1 and will try that with the weight of 75W90.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@adamncincy our cable setups are different we can only pump from jets up. No way to do it from the helm.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors Yeah I saw that with the animated gif that @MilesPrower posted. My oil just started gushing out pretty quickly, so I'm going to give it another try and if it's not as smooth to my liking I'm just going to replace the cables.

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think in 2019 the steering was changed to use the closed assembly. The pictures in this thread show steering for 2019-current vs pre 2019. From what I gather the models from pre 2019 models you could lubricate from either end.

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
*Also, I used thin motor oil, but think I'm going to use @MilesPrower 's suggestion of gear oil. Motorex gear oil isn't the easiest to find (unless it's shipped), but I'm a big fan of Mobil1 and will try that with the weight of 75W90.
My bet is that the higher viscosity gear oil does a better job of preventing water intrusion and will therefore keep the cables better lubricated for a longer period of time. Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear oil sounds like the perfect choice to me!

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These are on SX190 models, but the steering looks to be the same for other models

2019-current
#13 is the black box
1620230123844.png

pre 2019
1620230187152.png

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yes I did.
I removed the bushing through which the last bit of steering rod exits out of its housing, but I clamped my oiler hose over the second bushing through which the housing exits the hull... otherwise, oil just leaks out of that second bushing while you apply pressure.

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think in 2019 the steering was changed to use the closed assembly. The pictures in this thread show steering for 2019-current vs pre 2019. From what I gather the models from pre 2019 models you could lubricate from either end.
For the twin engine boats, the thread you quoted shows the change to be 2015, at least, and may be model-specific back then. I haven't seen anything earlier than that regarding the change over to the current method.

The single engine boats don't seem like they'd need to deal with the black box at all, so they would be the example of whether Yamaha is trying to force service to be done by them, or at least replacement part purchasing from them

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like the change was at least from 2017 from what is shown in the service manual.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I removed the bushing through which the last bit of steering rod exits out of its housing, but I clamped my oiler hose over the second bushing through which the housing exits the hull... otherwise, oil just leaks out of that second bushing while you apply pressure.

Did you use anything to seal the bushing up, or has a friction fit been sufficient to keep it on?

MilesPrower

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you use anything to seal the bushing up, or has a friction fit been sufficient to keep it on?
Friction fit... but I first used a bronze brush with vinegar and then a rag with degreaser to clean off the oil/grease/scum that was on the end of the housing before pushing the bushing back on. (I also soaked the bushing in vinegar first.) The end of the housing has a bit of a "lip" that the bushing "locks" onto when it's pushed onto the housing with sufficient force.

Also, I should mention that, after I lubed all of my steering cables and reverse cables, I now refrain from rinsing that area of my jets with high-pressure water when I'm cleaning my boat. I use low-pressure "shower mode" only. I'd hate to push more water up those bushings.

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MilesPrower that's a great point! Pressure washing is either your best friend or worst enemy in so many different ways! lol

So, vinegar works too huh? I'll have to try that! I've always used carb cleaner, super cheap, works fast, and dries instantly (good for reapplying grease).