• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Steering issue

Cb291918

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hi guys. Like an idiot I suck up rope on driver side of boat and rope got jammed in propeller. Now seam like I have loss of power and boat doesn't turn well left. Did I propeller looks ok but is it possible their to much clearance between propeller and wear ring

I'm assuming you confirmed your impeller still actually spins while the engine is running...

It's likely you have some debris/rope left on the shaft, or you tore some sealant from the pump. Both of these cause cavitation. Take a flashlight down there and confirm the pump cavity is free of debris and any pump seams are filled with sealant. These are easy first steps and usually the cause of your report.

Best of Luck

I'm assuming you confirmed your impeller still actually spins while the engine is running...

It's likely you have some debris/rope left on the shaft, or you tore some sealant from the pump. Both of these cause cavitation. Take a flashlight down there and confirm the pump cavity is free of debris and any pump seams are filled with sealant. These are easy first steps and usually the cause of your report.

Best of Luck
Shaft spins free. Wear ring and impeller look okay. Just not as much trust taking off now. And turning left i almost need to slow all the way down to turn. Turning right is no problem

Weird. Double check gate and steering action and nozzle attachment to pump at all points.

Also confirm full movement in both directions of steering mechanism.

I pulled pump off checked everything. Dont have as much power taking off as it did before. Only main issue is turning sharp to the left. Turning right s no problem. Steering nozzles are move. Seems like i have a loss of power on left side where i sucked up rope.

I pulled pump off checked everything. Dont have as much power taking off as it did before. Only main issue is turning sharp to the left. Turning right s no problem. Steering nozzles are move. Seems like i have a loss of power on left side where i sucked up rope.
You said you sucked up the rope on the drivers side…I’ve not see a Yamaha boat with the drivers side on the left, in the post above you say it was on the left.. can you please clarify ?

Something is still jammed........prop may not have anything Iin blades.....is there any rope still rapped around shaft slowing the RPM's........and when you say shaft spins free(need clarification) shaft spins with motor running or spins free with motor off!!

You said you sucked up the rope on the drivers side…I’ve not see a Yamaha boat with the drivers side on the left, in the post above you say it was on the left.. can you please clarify ?
Sorry ment right side. I pulled the pump assembly out. Nothing visully seams damaged. Should i just swapped the jet drive assembles and see if the problem changes

Something is still jammed........prop may not have anything Iin blades.....is there any rope still rapped around shaft slowing the RPM's........and when you say shaft spins free(need clarification) shaft spins with motor running or spins free with motor off!!
Spins with motor running. I took the wear ring and jet drive apart nothing seems broken or bent no rope left on shaft

Sorry ment right side. I pulled the pump assembly out. Nothing visully seams damaged. Should i just swapped the jet drive assembles and see if the problem changes
I would not do that.. there is an issue there it just hasn’t been discovered yet.

How does she steer left to right with motor off..............check for a bent or sticking steering cable or a steering rack problem. Should be smooth both directions motor off....and have someone steer lock to lock as you check aliment of the jets and put pressure on each jet separate as someone steers. Best done on the trailer.

How does she steer left to right with motor off..............check for a bent or sticking steering cable or a steering rack problem. Should be smooth both directions motor off....and have someone steer lock to lock as you check aliment of the jets and put pressure on each jet separate as someone steers. Best done on the trailer.
Steers fine left to right. Im thinking wear ring or impeller is bad. Only started after sucking up tow rope a.d jammed impeller

When you look at the impeller out of the wear ring, the impeller should have flat smooth tops to the blades, should not have any large nicks or a lot of small nicks all could cause cavitation.............look at the blades for any bent blades......again cavitation problem. Also make sure all gaps in the jet tunnels are caulked and fairly smooth............My 2013 had all the gaps filled with a black permanent type caulk like 3M 5200 all gaps in my 11 year old boat were still looking good.

Cavitation could have an effect on steering due to the lower thrust of that nozzle also a slight bend in the steering cable or a loose cable as it runs forward to the helm....my cables are all zipped tied tight as they run along the fuel tank heading to the helm..............no cable flex to affect steering.

Hopefully like FHS 210 says simple discovery not found yet........I get scared on cb291918 bent shaft or possible bearing trouble damage........the force involved on a rope to slow or stop an engine are vary high so a bent shaft or damaged bearing is possible. Shaft is hardened and usually at the bending point they just snap but anything is possible.

Back