• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Storage fire....complete loss

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Our boat storage had a massive fire. Just got off the phone with the storage manager and our boat is toast. We had a great day on the lake yesterday so was a shock this morning to see it on the news.

So I guess we'll be putting in a claim. Has anyone had a complete loss before? Any suggestions before I call them? Not sure how they handle all of the toys.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/massive-blaze-consumes-gwinnett-county-storage-facility

Curious who ends up paying your claim. After years of paying for boat insurance I decided to "self insure" under the assumption that significant damage was most likely to occur while under the "care" of the marina and they would be liable for any damage (I do have personal liability coverage for catastrophic situations). I think there may be an angle if the fire was determined to be caused by an act of nature (i.e. lightning) the marina may be off the hook?

@PEARCE lost his cruiser in a Marina fire on Texoma. He may be able to help out... Sorry to hear, but thankful no-one was injured.

Sorry to hear about your loss @AlphaKap. Not sure about how your company handles a loss in GA but usually if they find a party at fault that subrogate to them. For instance if someone was wielding and that caused the issue. That would only absolve you from your deductible. I'm sure there are some insurance pros on here that can give you a better answer. Make a list of all the equipment and upgrades you made and gather any receipts or statements that reflect those purchases. Good luck. Hope you're back on the water by next season.

Hopefully i can get a similar deal on factory demo from the boat show.

And yes, we were fortunate that nobody got hurt. Is was a really big fire and the reponders did a great job.

Sorry to hear of your loss, as well as anyone else who lost anything.

But I am glad to hear no one was hurt at all due to the fire!!!

Keep us posted on how things go.

Hoping for a smooth process!!!

Curious who ends up paying your claim. After years of paying for boat insurance I decided to "self insure" under the assumption that significant damage was most likely to occur while under the "care" of the marina and they would be liable for any damage (I do have personal liability coverage for catastrophic situations). I think there may be an angle if the fire was determined to be caused by an act of nature (i.e. lightning) the marina may be off the hook?

Admittedly not an insurance expert, but I would double check that, especially the language in your contract with the marina. I look at it the same way as renters insurance. The property I own is insured, and I'm insured for liability, but I don't insure the contents within - I make the tenants provide proof of insurance for their goods they store inside.

@jawsf16 mentioned me and the fire we had. What a mess! Our entire dock went up in flames last July. It took 17 cabin cruiser type boats, two ski boats, and several jetskis and of course all the stuff that we had on the dock. A lot of us had kitchen buildouts and with fridges, stoves, and cabinets. Along with the necessary furniture and TVs it was our home away from home. Our boat insurance covered the boat and everything in it. We claimed what we could for the stuff on the dock with our homeowners insurance. Our disaster was no secret in the insurance industry and it made National news the day it happened. Insurance adjusters and executives from all over the country came and witnessed the destruction. All of the boats burned to the waterline and sank and there was nothing left of the dock except the metal framing. As far as I know all of the victims have been paid by their respective insurance companies, but the companies haven't gotten their money back yet from the carrier of the person who was declared at fault for the incident. It'll be something that's tied up with attorneys and the courts for years to come.

I'm glad no one was hurt in your fire and that it's only stuff that can be replaced and that it's at the end of normal boating season. Your insurance company will tell you what they need from you and and will get you whole again. It's what they do. Good luck. If you want to know more details just PM me.

In my experience, my insurance paid me and they went after the person at fault for reimbursement .

It looks like aftermath of a nuclear bomb. Definitely nothing salvageable.FB_IMG_1538962340312.jpg FB_IMG_1538962323601.jpg FB_IMG_1538962310035.jpg

Our boat storage had a massive fire. Just got off the phone with the storage manager and our boat is toast. We had a great day on the lake yesterday so was a shock this morning to see it on the news.

So I guess we'll be putting in a claim. Has anyone had a complete loss before? Any suggestions before I call them? Not sure how they handle all of the toys.

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/massive-blaze-consumes-gwinnett-county-storage-facility
Dang man, I have 2 customers down that road. Sorry to hear about your loss

I am not an insurance expert, but i did suffer a loss years back where i was towing an enclosed trailer full of dirt bikes. I was run off the road by a driver who had admittently fallen asleep and who’s insurance assumed 100% responsibility. I’ll skip over all the injuries and get to the property insurance claim. My truck was totaled, my insurance company paid me within days. By dirt bikes were damaged and the trailer was a total loss. I self insured the trailer and dirt bikes. I didn’t insure the trailer and dirt bikes because My car insurance covers me for liability while towing the trailer and i figured that if i was at fault, i would just eat the cost. I figured that the other guys insurance would cover the cost if he was at fault. However, what i failed to figure was that the other guy could have minimal insurance. So when property damages total 30k and the other guy only has 10k worth of coverage. You’re only going to get $.30 for every $1 you lost. This meant that i was now filing a claim on his insurance along with my own insurance company (who paid me already for my truck) and any other parties involved. Also, in CA anyway, the insurance company has up to two years to pay.

A marina fire could be a nightmare. The insurance will find one guy at fault, his coverage (if he has insurance ;) ) could be minimal. But either way, it won’t come close to the millions of dollars floating on the entire dock.

So what i learned, I’d only ever self insure again if I can afford to take a 100% loss. Never again will i expect the other guy to insure my ASSet.

Results may vary. ;)

A marina fire could be a nightmare. The insurance will find one guy at fault, his coverage (if he has insurance ;) ) could be minimal. But either way, it won’t come close to the millions of dollars floating on the entire dock.
It was WELL into the millions! That's not including the dock itself. Then the environmental cleanup of recovering the burned up wrecks and all of the debris wasn't cheap either.

Back