• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

STRANDED AT SEA!!

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interstate battery failure... crazy mystery, help me figure it out and don't let this be you.

Some questions to figure out what could have happened, great videos

What is the date on the battery ?

Was this your first time out ?

How do you store the battery during the winter on a trickle ?

Do you charge it between each use ?

What type of charger ?

Do you have a separate sea tow policy or is it covered by your insurance policy ?

Is the battery removed during winter storage ?

Take the battery into an auto parts store for a load test

This is a handy chart to keep on board

Friday, September 13, 2019.jpg

In my line of work I've seen many brand of batteries bad that were right off the shelf if not shortly after install. There is no one brand that has no issues. I'd charge and do a load test on the battery that left you stranded and talk to an Interstate dealer or even call Interstate to let them know of what happened.

Shit happens. I have 2 batteries and jumper cables. I haven’t had a problem but I have jumped people and given my second battery to people stranded on the water to enjoy their day. One day I’ll be stranded and hope people don’t pretend not to see me.

Glad you posted this here Leo. I like chatting with you here rather than on the facebook groups.

I actually had to use my emergency yellow switch this week after dropping my boat in for the first time and the starting battery was dead. Good thing for that parallel switch and a second battery.

I always top my batteries and store them in the cold, and am on my fifth season on the pair. This past fall, I left one switch on, and my starter battery drained. Not good in -25f. I think she may not hold a charge again. I guess four seasons on a pair of cheap Duracell deep cycles from Sam's club is not all bad. I can buy two new ones and still not have spent as much as the guys with Blue tops (smile)

Glad you posted this here Leo. I like chatting with you here rather than on the facebook groups.

I actually had to use my emergency yellow switch this week after dropping my boat in for the first time and the starting battery was dead. Good thing for that parallel switch and a second battery.

I always top my batteries and store them in the cold, and am on my fifth season on the pair. This past fall, I left one switch on, and my starter battery drained. Not good in -25f. I think she may not hold a charge again. I guess four seasons on a pair of cheap Duracell deep cycles from Sam's club is not all bad. I can buy two new ones and still not have spent as much as the guys with Blue tops (smile)

I had two duracells last 5 years of deep cycling. I needed to replace them and I couldn't find local stock. I was bummed. I think they were about $139

What type of charger ?

Do you have a separate sea tow policy or is it covered by your insurance policy ?

Take the battery into an auto parts store for a load test

This is a handy chart to keep on board

View attachment 180035

AGM batteries have higher voltage than flooded….

B16A0A98-624B-4163-B075-7A37AD28150E.jpeg

I had two duracells last 5 years of deep cycling. I needed to replace them and I couldn't find local stock. I was bummed. I think they were about $139
Supposedly my local sams has the non-agm Group 27's for $86 and in stock, but the online inventory is never accurate for batteries. The AGM version is fairly priced as well. I may price Interstate batteries at Costco too. Those warehouse prices are tough to beat. Fleet Farm wants $179 for Interstate group 27 deep cycles on sale!

Yep. That's why you need a charger with an AGM profile. Standard flooded profile will not charge/maintain to 14.6-14.8v

Charging profiles from my MinnKota PC MK 330 charger.

EE54F0B3-CA11-434B-9684-C9AB65E078F2.png

Supposedly my local sams has the non-agm Group 27's for $86 and in stock, but the online inventory is never accurate for batteries. The AGM version is fairly priced as well. I may price Interstate batteries at Costco too. Those warehouse prices are tough to beat. Fleet Farm wants $179 for Interstate group 27 deep cycles on sale!

The best bang for the buck in lead acid are the lower end flooded deep cycle marine / RV batteries… take care of them and barring any manufacturers defects they last a good long time. Just be sure to run an equalize charge on them regularly and make sure the gravity in all the cells are matched.

The best bang for the buck in lead acid are the lower end flooded deep cycle marine / RV batteries… take care of them and barring any manufacturers defects they last a good long time. Just be sure to run an equalize charge on them regularly and make sure the gravity in all the cells are matched.
So true. The Noco Genius onboard has done a great job with these two for sure. No complaints at all.

It was purchased in Dec. 2019, used 3 seasons.

Yes

Indoors on work bench on smart charger

No, not during the season, have never had too.

What type of charger ?
BatteryTender Plus Smart Charger

Covered by Progressive Insurance, they were great!

Yes, see above

Take the battery into an auto parts store for a load test.
Went to Autozone but they did not load test it. Just checked voltage and determined it was accepting a charge.

This is a handy chart to keep on board.
Great! Thanks.

View attachment 180035

What I think the issue could be Is that leaving it on the trickle charger for the whole winter caused an issue . Batteries work there best by loading and unloading voltage every car battery I have owned has lasted seven years or longer and I would guess the same with you based on your question of why it didn’t work at three years old. The best way to store a battery is to use a timer set to run the charger fifteen minutes a day as it turns on it pushes higher amperage eliminating the issue of a surface charge. I have one of these old school chargers that have been following me around for years and use it to bring batteries back to life .Batteries that would not take a charge from the noco genius even in battery repair mode have been revived if you charge it with the 10 amp mode it brings the battery back to life.

1654857272983.jpeg

What I think the issue could be Is that leaving it on the trickle charger for the whole winter caused an issue . Batteries work there best by loading and unloading voltage every car battery I have owned has lasted seven years or longer and I would guess the same with you based on your question of why it didn’t work at three years old. The best way to store a battery is to use a timer set to run the charger fifteen minutes a day as it turns on it pushes higher amperage eliminating the issue of a surface charge. I have one of these old school chargers that have been following me around for years and use it to bring batteries back to life .Batteries that would not take a charge from the noco genius even in battery repair mode have been revived if you charge it with the 10 amp mode it brings the battery back to life.

View attachment 180091

I believe in this as well. For the same reason I have two chargers in my shop. The old one I can force a 10a charge, and the other is a smart charger that desulphates, bla bla bla. But there are some finicky batteries that just need thier butt kicked once in a while.

Back